Nintendo is teaming up with Tag Heuer to release a limited, $2,000 smartwatch

asdasdasd.png

Mario is making his way to posh luxury with the release of a limited-edition collaboration project. Nintendo and watchmaker Tag Heuer are releasing a smartwatch that features the one and only Super Mario. The "Tag Heuer Connected x Super Mario Limited Edition" smartwatch will rock Android's Wear OS, but will come outfitted with exclusive Mario faces and animations. Only 2.000 watches will be made, and they'll come at a price: $2,150. That money will net you the watch, the prestige of owning a piece of "gaming-themed fashion tech" and all those cutesy physical activity-monitoring Mario animations. It's planned to go on sale at select Tag Heuer locations later today, though all pre-sale reservations are already sold out.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what Iwata was protecting us from

Now the investors have control of the company and everything is made for rich old men who don't care about video games

Nintendo is just a brand, not a game dev, on their way to become game freak 2 unless a new president is appointed soon (extremely unlikely seeing as the current one turned the brand into the ultimate money printer)

Just look at the soullessness of that expressionless Mario render standing in the void, it's depressing. It lacks any resemblance to the whimsy that really constitutes the actual Nintendo feel/appeal.

The switch and multiple switch games already made it painfully obvious to Nintendo that their games will sell regardless of quality or content, so they don't care
By the time the mainstream audience catches on to this behaviour Nintendo will probably have found another stable main source of income

Last edited by Deleted member 532471,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what Iwata was protecting us from

Now the investors have control of the company and everything is made for rich old men who don't care about video games

Nintendo is just a brand, not a game dev, on their way to become game freak 2 unless a new president is appointed soon (extremely unlikely seeing as the current one turned the brand into the ultimate money printer)

Just look at the soullessness of that expressionless Mario render standing in the void, it's depressing. It lacks any resemblance to the whimsy that really constitutes the actual Nintendo feel/appeal.

The switch and multiple switch games already made it painfully obvious to Nintendo that their games will sell regardless of quality or content, so they don't care
By the time the mainstream audience catches on to this behaviour Nintendo will probably have found another stable main source of income

Ironically, everything you said about Nintendo (and I agree, sadly) is also true of TAG Heuer. Pre 1985, they were just "Heuer" watches. The company got bought out by the TAG group and the brand took a nosedive IMHO.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A gamer, who exercises, has a lot of disposable income in the midst of a pandemic (when job income isn't exactly as reliable as it used to be), and who wouldn't just abandon a smartwatch after a week of moderate use.

I fit every bill there aside from the "exercises" part because I'm a lazy sack of shit and I still wouldn't buy this watch unless it was under a quarter of its current price. Smart watch prices are even more of a racket than luxury watch prices, doubly so for luxury smart watches. They largely do the same things as the non-luxury brands, have similar or identical specs, and WearOS is where the limit is for much of the user-facing functionality anyway. And the non-luxury brand smart watches still cost too much IMO but at least they're much more reasonable. I don't have anything substantiative to back this up but do you really thing that TAG Heuer is designing their own Android-compatible watch motherboards? I'm going to go with "no" and that it's manufactured by another OEM but I'd be gladly proven wrong.

At least with mechanical watches, luxury cost gets you an arguably higher quality movement in a lot of cases.

Also good lord their website is trash. Where the hell are the specs on that thing? I scrolled up and down that abomination of interactive design vomit TWICE and can't find any specs other than it has sapphire glass, WearOS, and a heart rate monitor. All things that my 5 year old Huawei Watch 1 has which cost a tenth of the price (~$220)

Edit - because Lilith already said what was on my mind:

Bruh, who is this for?

Reactions: Xzi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Super Mario embellishments and details on the watch are discreet enough for it to pass off as a regular Tag Heuer watch and not a cartoonish mockery. Other watches from that line are also over $2000, so Mario doesn't add to the price (that much). Which makes me wonder, who buys Tag Heuer Connect watches in the first place?

s5CtPS4.jpg

3hXiKZz.png

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No thanks. I dont used smartwatch like Apple and Samsung. Don't trusted smartwatch's technology at all!!!!! NEVER! I use my an old fashion watch. So natural, safe and best of all nobody can hacked it!

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I mean, my father got a mechanical watch as a work gift several years ago now, and has he ever worn it? Nope; as far as I know, and the last I saw of it, the watch was still in its unopened box.
Watches, whether mechanical or smart, are just not as practical as they used to be. "So last century", I'd even say - though that's just my subjective opinion.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol