Nintendo is renaming Pikachu in China

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by BurningDesire, May 30, 2016.

1. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    [​IMG]

:arrow: Source

migles likes this.

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    why it needed a renaming?

3. BurningDesire
    OP

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I think what happened is they tried to make it sound like Pikachu but then failed.

migles likes this.
  4. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    And hong kongers really don't like it when you do things in Mandarin.

5. BurningDesire
    OP

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I did not know that! The more you know :D

Pacheko17 likes this.
  6. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    its still Pikachu ...

I thought it was going to be named to "LookAtMe"

[​IMG]

Last edited by Flame, May 30, 2016
  7. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    You english speaks with your silly Pikachu jokes xD
    You have to get into Portuguese, where "Pika" means dick.

8. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

and please let "achu" mean butt.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Unfortunately it means nothing :/

Flame likes this.
  10. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I only ask myself - do they really have nothing better to do?

VinsCool and Harvest God like this.
  11. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well why did US version renamed over 500 pokemon (and human characters that is worse ) to start with? XD

well now they are getting an offcial version but if is what the fans want ...

I would be really sad if an offcial portuguese version follow what "we are used" here in Brazil...
    to start with the anime version never cared to proniciante Pikachu right ... I can't explain the sound but it's like "pikashoo" not "pikatyuu"
    Also the other over nine tosuand pokemon, or siglith adapted of the english version (magicarp -> magicarpa Bulbasaur> bulbassauro... wtf is a "bulba" in portuguese? sound Like "vulva" and... don't search it if you are under 18 :v) or the english name with portuguese pronunciation if we can read it, like charmander is just reading , "squirtle", "jigglypuff" is smilar to english because it sound terrible if just "read"
    Also people that don't watch the anime and play, say the names on the mostly variety of forms lololo(Not counting a LOT of other problens xp pokemon here is a stupid mess lol)
    and the otaku like me that rather the original name xD (I'm just against people name changing... pokemon are a interesting stuff, it's bad that italian and spanish do for humans but not for the pokes :v)
    But for a Brazilain official version I would rather having new names for the pokemon and original/Japanese for the humans , I don't care that e are 20 years used to shit, a well made work value more than bad made stuff just because we are used...and if someone want the englsh names, play the english version, right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Talking about pokemon and translation... XD

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    but this is another situation..
    pikachu is around for 25 years IIRC
    renaming stuff for release in other countries is a totally normal procedure.. but thinking to renaming something that is already known for 25 years, i mean.. why they didn't bothered to do it earlier? what did changed to think now it's a bigger problem than 25 years ago?

13. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    They changed Pluto from being a planet to a dwarf planet, nobody complained.
    Name changes for flora and fauna have also occurred in the past when necessary.

Seeing as Pokemon studies are treated as in real life I don't see the problem about a name change.

migles likes this.
  14. azublazer

azublazer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Lol, protesters over a fictional video game/cartoon character's name? Shit like that would never go down in 'Murica.

Edit: I take it back. I bet bronies would flip their lids if they wanted to change a MLP character's name.

15. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well there are complains ... I remeber that lol but mostly memes

this is not the same thing or reason to change Satoshi to Ash or worse, Sakura to SAYO (yes changing the japanese name form a we-can-tell-it's-not-a-japanese to ANOTHER FKNG JAPANESE NAME ) and the others "kimono girls "
    Come on, Mickey mouse is Mickey all around the world, ok Pikachu too, but why to change person name? pokemon are like fauna stuff so it's nice to have different names per country but the people? Everybody know the stuff come from japan, so why care to change? talking that " Kids would like/can be able to talk" is like saying the children are all dummies because they can name all Naruto and Avatar (ok it's murika, but chinese names, come on) character without problems lol

Anyway about the getting official version I think It's valid in taiwan, like I told it should be here when we get an official version...

nah a lot ofpeople compained about 4Kids works, and mostly anime but yeah there are two kind of people, that have mostly fun playing the way they can, don't mind about general changes if the gameplay is good, and the others that are more there for the history and want stuff close as he original possible or at least some good localziation work, not something just pretending it's not made in japan xD

Sakitoshi likes this.
  16. GreenStone99

GreenStone99 likes green rocks

May 7, 2016
    United States
    chu means butt in Japanese iirc

17. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    @Sliter
    I was only talking about the Pokemons. But yeah, I also dislike name changes for characters.
    My name is Jorge but not because I go to an English talking country my name is now George, I'm still Jorge.

Sliter likes this.
  18. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    on english clases I've got the techer made us sure that name don't change withthe language xD Sadly USA localizator don't agree it lol

19. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    First thing I have to say...
    I don't think there exist a game with display language in Cantonese.

I think Cantonese is more likely a spoken language, even it has a much longer history than mandarin.(correct me if I'm wrong.)

Let's say Naruto Shipudden and other games that have T-Chinese, NONE of them are using Cantonese as it display language.:)
    Audiences group is too small.

Like most Computer or smartphone OS: S-Chinese(mainland); T-Chinese(TW); T-Chinese(HK) This is the perfect solution.

20. keven3477

keven3477 Fresh Prince of Lemonade

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Somwhere you can never find.
    I may not be correct but I heard Pikachu translate to something about the devil or something in some countries, maybe that maybe the reason for the protest.