Nintendo is discontinuing the "limited" 3DS and Wii U eShop in select Latin American territories

fb-400x400.jpg

It's time to get your Nintendo Wii U and 3DS downloads squared away for good, as the eShop for those platforms will be going offline soon, in certain regions. On July 31st, users in 42 different countries across Latin America and the Caribbean will no longer be able to use the 3DS or Wii U eShop. It should be noted that these regions never had a typical Nintendo eShop, as they were referred to as "Limited Nintendo eShops", only offering game voucher redemptions as opposed to other regions where the eShop is a full digital storefront. This means that after the aforementioned date, redeeming download codes for Nintendo titles will no longer be an option, nor will downloading updates for games or system software, or even redownloading games you already own.

Nintendo recommends that you download all software and updates that you wish to keep prior to the deactivation date on July 31, and that you redeem your leftover game codes before it's too late. The following countries are the ones affected by this announcement: Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Cost Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent/Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Those in Mexico or Brazil will not be affected and are an exception, as they offer their own regular Nintendo eShop service and not a "limited" version.

In certain Latin American and Caribbean countries, limited Nintendo eShops for the Wii U system and Nintendo 3DS family of systems have provided a few basic functions, such as game code redemption. Those limited Nintendo eShops will close on July 31, 2020 and users in the affected regions will no longer be able to access them to redeem a download code, redownload software or update software, so we encourage users to take any such actions before the closure date. Also, any software that requires the limited Nintendo eShops to operate may cease to function. (Note that Mexico and Brazil will not be affected.) We thank everyone for using the limited Nintendo eShops and for being such great fans of Nintendo.

What to do
We recommend that you take the following action on your Nintendo 3DS or Wii U before the closure date of July 31, 2020:

• Redownload any previously-downloaded software from the Nintendo eShop
  • Check the Nintendo eShop for any available updates to software you own
  • Redeem any download codes you have that have not yet been redeemed

FAQ
What do I do with any codes I haven't yet redeemed?
We encourage anyone with unredeemed codes to redeem them before the limited Nintendo eShops close on July 31, 2020. After that, it will not be possible to redeem any codes.

Why are the limited Nintendo eShops closing?
We constantly re-evaluate our business and make decisions based on a variety of factors.

Which regions are affected by this?
The following regions will be affected by this: Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Cost Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent/Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Why aren’t Mexico and Brazil affected?
Mexico has a full Nintendo eShop, and those are not affected by the closure of limited Nintendo eShops. Brazil has a full Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems and has neither a full nor limited Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system.

Will you also be closing any limited Nintendo eShops for the Nintendo Switch system?
The closures only affect limited Nintendo eShops for the Wii U system and Nintendo 3DS family of systems in the affected regions. No limited or full Nintendo eShops for the Nintendo Switch system will be affected.

Do you plan to open full Nintendo eShops for any Nintendo systems in the affected regions?
We have nothing to announce on this topic.

:arrow: Source

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

It's time to get your Nintendo Wii U and 3DS downloads squared away for good, as the eShop for those platforms will be going offline soon, in certain regions. On July 31st, users in 42 different countries across Latin America and the Caribbean will no longer be able to use the 3DS or Wii U eShop. It should be noted that these regions never had a typical Nintendo eShop, as they were referred to as "Limited Nintendo eShops", only offering game voucher redemptions as opposed to other regions where the eShop is a full digital storefront. This means that after the aforementioned date, redeeming download codes for Nintendo titles will no longer be an option, nor will downloading updates for games or system software, or even redownloading games you already own.

Nintendo recommends that you download all software and updates that you wish to keep prior to the deactivation date on July 31, and that you redeem your leftover game codes before it's too late. The following countries are the ones affected by this announcement: Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Cost Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent/Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela.

Those in Mexico or Brazil will not be affected and are an exception, as they offer their own regular Nintendo eShop service and not a "limited" version.

:arrow: Source
what? i remember Brazil not having a WiiU eShop (it does a 3DS eShop tho). I'd just give me an error and tell me "the eShop is not available in your country"
and yeah this sucks, one step closer to losing the actual eShop, meaning eShop only games will be lost and you won't be able to buy DS VC anymore, so you can't use haxchi if you didn't buy it before the shutdown.

Last edited by Stealphie,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I'm worried about on my PS4... I have a lot of $$$ invested in digital games (blame it on the sales) what is going to happen 20 years from now to my stuff.... this is why I don't buy digital anymore. Also what about Destiny and Need for Speed (games that require internet)

I guess for the guys on 3DS just put CFW on it and call it a day

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
what? i remember Brazil not having a WiiU eShop (it did have a 3DS eShop tho). I'd just give me an error and tell me "the eShop is not available in your country"
and yeah this sucks, one step closer to losing the actual eShop, meaning eShop only games will be lost and you won't be able to buy DS VC anymore, so you can't use haxchi if you didn't buy it before the shutdown.

I bought animal Crossing New Horizons on the Brazil eShop cause it was cheaper, so is definitely a thing.

Reactions: Zense

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The rest of the world is sure to follow suit.
The question is what will happen to online gaming on Wii U. :/
i hope that there will be a service like wimmfi but for WiiU/3DS

--Posts automatically merged - Please double post!

I bought animal Crossing New Horizons on the Brazil eShop cause it was cheaper, so is definitely a thing.
"I remember there not being a Wii U eShop"

Last edited by Stealphie,
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is what I'm worried about on my PS4... I have a lot of $$$ invested in digital games (blame it on the sales) what is going to happen 20 years from now to my stuff.... this is why I don't buy digital anymore. Also what about Destiny and Need for Speed (games that require internet)

I guess for the guys on 3DS just put CFW on it and call it a day
Yar har fiddle dee dee, a pirate's life is one for me!

...what am saying is, if you want the digital stuff, you'll prolly have to put a cfw and get them games from teh internet... just not thru psn :v
And games that require an always-online internet connection to play, imo that's pretty shit, but probably there are mods for offline play as well.
Remember 2013's SimCity, that EA disaster that always required you to be online to play? And that those assfucks at EA were like "the game in unplayable offline/single player"? Got like modded a week later so you could play it offline. Meh.
Am sure there's the same thing for other games as well.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
For Sony and MS, assuming nothing extraordinarily drastic happens to either company you can expect their online storefronts to last basically until we're all dead from covid19 really. Nintendo is the only company of the big three that pulls this kind of shit, and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Sony, on the other hand, still has PSN running for the PS3, a 14 year old console way past it's EoL, and still supports digital purchases and downloads for the PSP, a 15 year old handheld, and they've made 0 announcements or moves to discontinue it (mostly because all the Sony consoles still use basically the same servers as before). Same thing for MS and the 360, which is even better off since MS has plans to continue supporting BC directly on console.

Third party online games will definitely go down eventually, and so will any games that use third party online services, but so long as those games/services are popular there will be people who create private servers and workarounds so people can continue playing those games.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Sony and MS, assuming nothing extraordinarily drastic happens to either company you can expect their online storefronts to last basically until we're all dead from covid19 really. Nintendo is the only company of the big three that pulls this kind of shit, and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Sony, on the other hand, still has PSN running for the PS3, a 14 year old console way past it's EoL, and still supports digital purchases and downloads for the PSP, a 15 year old handheld, and they've made 0 announcements or moves to discontinue it (mostly because all the Sony consoles still use basically the same servers as before). Same thing for MS and the 360, which is even better off since MS has plans to continue supporting BC directly on console.

Third party online games will definitely go down eventually, and so will any games that use third party online services, but so long as those games/services are popular there will be people who create private servers and workarounds so people can continue playing those games.

Okay thanks I'm just wondering because I did have alot of games I bought on PSN. I didnt want them telling me BS that I cant access my games for the PS4 not being supported once they roll out with PS5.

Yar har fiddle dee dee, a pirate's life is one for me!

...what am saying is, if you want the digital stuff, you'll prolly have to put a cfw and get them games from teh internet... just not thru psn :v
And games that require an always-online internet connection to play, imo that's pretty shit, but probably there are mods for offline play as well.
Remember 2013's SimCity, that EA disaster that always required you to be online to play? And that those assfucks at EA were like "the game in unplayable offline/single player"? Got like modded a week later so you could play it offline. Meh.
Am sure there's the same thing for other games as well.

I hope they make offline for destiny and need for speed I still have stuff to do in that game I might as well try to beat those games... I still have Destiny 2 to play aswell. (Blame it on gamestop for having the game at $10)

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
For the Wii U, yeah I can see it
but it's kinda stupid to discontinue the 3DS eShop, given that one of the 3DS models is still in production...

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The question is what will happen to online gaming on Wii U. :/

i hope that there will be a service like wimmfi but for WiiU/3DS
I'm happy to tell you that the Pretendo Network is already working towards this and has shown great progress lately for both WiiU and 3DS. Among the people developing it is none other than Shutterbug which should be a familiar name. They've already been able to do a race in MK7.

Here's from the recent reimplementation of miiverse into Splatoon from the efforts of the rverse team who's brought back Miiverse in a functional form on both 3DS and Wii U:

Last edited by Zense,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
have to wonder if this might have been part of the recent NNID hacks, seems to be weirdly timed

or maybe they just didn't make anything from having the shop up there anyway what with the 3DS and Wii U being hacked anyway, no point keeping a massive highway open if you only getting 1 car a month through it

don't get me wrong though, seems absurd they would just basically say "screw you, all your games are gone if you need to re-download them" and to think some people still wonder why people prefer physical over digital only

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Arras

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm happy to tell you that the Pretendo Network is already working towards this and has shown great progress lately for both WiiU and 3DS. Among the people developing it is none other than Shutterbug which should be a familiar name. They've already been able to do a race in MK7.

Here's from the recent reimplementation of miiverse into Splatoon from the efforts of the rverse team who's brought back Miiverse in a functional form on both 3DS and Wii U:

how
i want to actually use miiverse

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment