Nintendo investor meeting: cafeteria food, third-party support and more...

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jul 7, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

The English translation of the Investor Meeting that Nintendo recently had was posted, and it revealed a few interesting tidbits regarding Nintendo's general direction and the Wii U.

Regarding firing staff:

Iwata was asked why, given Nintendo's lackluster financial performance recently, he had not cut staff numbers. He replied that such moves might cause for better short-term results but may reduce overall employee morale and reduce the quality of software titles.

Third-party support, “more key titles to be announced by them”

When asked by an investor concerned about weakening third-party support, Iwata acknowledged that some publishers won't be releasing their games on the Wii U and reiterated his plan for bolstering support.

Cafeteria food:

Another very important concern raised by investors was the quality of the cafeteria food served to Nintendo employees. Iwata acknowledged this concern and said that they will examine the issue of food quality.
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I know that Nintendo employee's lunch is the most important aspect of Nintendo as a company. I thank you for this great information.

3. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    In addition to this...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/120628qa/02.html

Qtis, gamefan5, 2ndApex and 3 others like this.
  4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    No, no, no, Nintendo! People didn't care about your lunch, they cared about the launch!

Geez, this explains everything.

Qtis, Ammako, gamefan5 and 8 others like this.
  5. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    I don't think this strategy is a good one. It's certainly a start―releasing more first-party games will undoubtedly improve console sales―, but it just doesn't seem like enough to appeal to the broader crowd. They need to do something to try and turn PS4 and XBox One buyers over to the Wii U, and the only way to do that is to have some exclusives that will appeal to more than just gamers of all ages. They need to target mature demographics with some mature games, IMO.

Nintendo could do that with a new franchise or a reboot of an old franchise, or by ploughing a small investment into a few third-party developers who are good at that kind of thing.

6. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Something is missing from the link ... I can't find anything that says
    Iwata was asked why, given Nintendo's lackluster financial performance recently

7. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It may be a Japanese thing as well but combined with them not being inclined to sort the wheat from the chaff it probably speaks to their hiring policy and the sorts of people there* tend not to function quite so well in society which means you probably ought to make sure they get at least one square meal a day.

*despite a great amount of experimentation I have yet to discover an equivalent if you replace the bottom axis with LSD or some other psychotropic
    http://xkcd.com/323/

Sicklyboy likes this.
  9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Hey, google has good food and look how well they do.

10. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012

He sure does seem like a particularly evil Sony / Microsoft / EA fan-boy, doesn't he?

11. MegaBassBX

MegaBassBX The Noble Sate User

Nov 7, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Talk about admitting their fucking mistakes, shame on you Nintendo for letting your employee eat shit !

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Not disagreeing with nintendo doing many things wrong, but I still find it funny how all the publishers somehow prefer the yet unreleased consoles. They're not much more than big black holes. Nobody knows what dangers might lurk behind their shiny cases. Could it be new death rings? or a drm more devious and devilish than the one they recently threw out the window?

13. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    I wanted to compare release titles per console from release date for the same period of time.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Looks as if the 360 had the fewest titles of all 3 in the first 6-7 months after launch.

14. Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2011
    DRM is a developer choice only. Even the One's DRM was still up to the developer prior to total removal as an option, and the PS4 also has optional DRM options, though none of them will involve actual system functions such as a digital only used marketplace or the like. Likely much more minor at the worst. Regardless, the Wii U is doing poorly. The One and the PS4 are unreleased. As of now, the PS4 and One are more appealing to developers than the Wii U simply because they don't have poor sales. It doesn't matter that they have no sales. It's simply that their sales aren't yet poor. That alone is enough to take the jump and see what happens.

Even with that aside, I feel like this one year jump the Wii U has taken in advance has people forgetting that developers always gamble on new consoles. Consistently, without fail. No gamble means no potential profit. No games means the systems won't sell to begin with. They like to test the waters. Did developers jump ship on the Wii U without giving it time first, and without releasing some games to see how they sold? No. They gave it a shot, even if it wasn't great, and sold what they had. As it stands, the Wii U tried to be next gen ready at a time when the next gen wasn't ready to get started, so Wii U owners can't even really complain about third parties not necessarily putting their best out there, or complain about just getting somewhat mediocre ports, since frankly, that's all third parties could realistically offer at a time when the next gen wasn't actually ready to go.

That image host is absolutely awful. I'd strongly consider rehosting the image somewhere like imgur or anywhere that has actually proven not to be a terrible image service for half of this website.

15. Mantis41

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Can you recommend one that doesn't try to re-size the image?
    Either that or is there a way to use the HTML version exported from Excel?

16. Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2011
    Is this not as big as it originally was?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

17. Mantis41

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Thanks. I will use imgur in future.
    It's a pity you can't dump the HTM file straight into a post it would be a lot clearer than a screen capture.

18. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    In defense of at least NOA's cafeteria food, it's very good.

(Because I know you are all terribly concerned about the state of the food at their WA state campus.)

(EALA also has great food, which is about the only nice thing I have to say about the place...oh, and an awesome gym...that no one--shock!--uses.)

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Too late. everything is set in motion to put a stellar and sparkling new lunch window in the office kitchen. :P

20. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    Iwata has a good point about not firing staff. I have worked at a couple places where I could tell the people were worried about getting let go. needless to say, productivity takes a DIVE when that happens. last place I worked at barely is putting out any work due to that. it is not a good way to go. When it is the boss' fault that there's no work coming in, one might think that the boss should be the first one to get fired and then go on from there. lol

Erich Moraga and EZ-Megaman like this.