OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
GilvaSunner.jpg
Earlier this year, some of you may recall that Nintendo struck down BrawlBRSTMs3 X, a popular hub for extended video game soundtracks, with copyright claims. Well, it seems that the Big N has no intention of slowing down. GilvaSunner, another popular destination for VGM lovers, announced on their official Twitter page today that several Nintendo soundtracks have been removed by method of copyright claim. This comes over a year after HAL Laboratories flagged several Kirby Planet Robobot soundtracks on the channel, mentioning that HAL was getting "more strict" with their music policies.
Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/GilvaSunner/status/1161315671839522816
Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/GilvaSunner/status/952913544303005697
As it stands, the channel is still verified and some videos remain online, though it seems that a good number of video game soundtracks have been taken down. Knowing how YouTube copyright works, it's only a matter of time before the channel as a whole gets deleted as more and more soundtracks get flagged and removed.
As GilvaSunner put it, Game Over.

:arrow: Source

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just yesterday I was listening to one of those videos, I was surpised to find it deleted today.
Is Nintendo/HAL actually making money off of their soundtracks?

I don't get why they have a problem with game music on youtube.

Last edited by Reynardine,
Reactions: IncredulousP

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Just yesterday I was listening to one of those videos, I was surpised to find it deleted today.
Is Nintendo actually making money off these soundtracks?

I don't get why they have a problem with game music on youtube.
If I recall correctly, they actually do sell some of these soundtracks... but only as pre-order bonuses, as part of a bundle, or as a separate purchase in Japan (I think). It's really annoying.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame, this seems like overreacting to me. I actually wouldn't mind paying for official high quality game soundtracks if they'd make them available digitally.
I wouldn't mind either. Sadly, I have to resort to getting them from... other sources.

Reactions: Reynardine

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
once again, they have to defend their dumb copyright so no one can legally contend their copyright.
these websites and channels, as nice as they are for us, really have no right to host any of these compositions and they knew that from the start. It's a large gray area they're even allowed to host it 'until the owners expressively forbid us to'

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Aren't the soundtracks on Spotify?
Nope. Nintendo soundtracks aren't on Spotify last I heard.
The Final Fantasy soundtrack seems to be there, but that doesn't seem to be the same for Mario, Zelda, and some of Nintendo's other beloved franchises.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They're going after music parodies now. Really.
That's a new low - and that's saying a lot for none other than Nintendo.
but GilvaSunner isn't the parody channel...

Reactions: RattletraPM

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aren't the soundtracks on Spotify?
I haven't used spotify in a long time, but you're right.
The Kirby 3DS soundtracks are available.

From a quick look I also found some Starfox and Zelda soundtracks, so at least some of the popular stuff should be there.
I did not know about that.

Reactions: Xzi

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nope. Nintendo soundtracks aren't on Spotify last I heard.
The Final Fantasy soundtrack seems to be there, but that doesn't seem to be the same for Mario, Zelda, and some of Nintendo's other beloved franchises.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but GilvaSunner isn't the parody channel...
Welp, read that one wrong. Still kind of a dick move, but it's a tiny bit more justified then I guess.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States

From a quick look I also found some Starfox and Zelda soundtracks, at least the popular stuff should be there.
Oh? Well, that's news to me then.
They should still make the soundtracks available outside of streaming services. A good number of people, myself included, dislike the streaming model that Spotify works on.

Reactions: IC_ and Reynardine

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They should still make the soundtracks available outside of streaming services. A good number of people, myself included, dislike the streaming model that Spotify works on.
Me too, that's why I stopped using Spotify.

I'd like to see something like bandcamp for game music.
Just give me free low quality streaming or at least a short preview option and a choice between MP3 320 kbps or FLAC quality that I can buy to do with as I please and I'm happy.

Edit:
I'd bet my money that there are many games for which no soundtrack is available from legal sources and they're still being deleted on youtube.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m surprised they don’t just claim the revenue, it’s not like all their soundtracks are released in the same way as e.g. the Halo soundtrack.

I find it weird though when people say ‘I just stream Spotify’ because of how i complete I find streaming services libraries can be.

I do subscribe to Spotify and it does have it’s uses e.g. music discovery, casual listening, etc. But I wouldn’t want to be solely relying on it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
But that's pretty much the same as they're on Youtube. They just choose another medium. I do agree with you about Spotify but what you gonna do? It's their properties.

Reactions: Reynardine
D

Deleted User

From a quick look I also found some Starfox and Zelda soundtracks, so at least some of the popular stuff should be there.
There is very little Nintendo stuff on Spotify, most are covers and not official soundtracks. It sucks because there are companies like Square Enix and Sega who are more then happy to put their soundtracks on sale and Spotify to stream and buy freely and Nintendo just hasn't picked up, hope they'll do something and maybe either let us steam and buy songs like Pokémon Jukebox or just put them on Spotify and iTunes (maybe even My Nintendo, it'll give it a reason to be used)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning