Nintendo Hires Lobbying Firm To Battle Gateway 3DS Sales in the US

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by stanleyopar2000, Dec 25, 2014.

1. stanleyopar2000
    OP

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    Not good guys...looks like nintendo needs to flash money in front of washington's face so they give a shit. Sounds like to me they are trying to get Gateway the good ol' R4 treatment = almost banned everywhere. WIth the mention of "international trade" it sounds like they will make it a federal offense to sell Gateway...

DUN DUN DUN........

more in the SOURCE

(if you don't like "da beat" then)
    SOURCE 2

I didn't want a Gateway and I bought all my 3DS games but damnit Nintendo you're forcing my hand :P If you're on the fence about buying a gateway. Don't hesitate, as 2015 may be the last year you'll be able to comfortably purchase it (or any flashcart for that matter)

need any additional sources?
    http://bit.ly/16T8HUD

(don't mean to be sarcastic but it's been posted everywhere so there is multiple sources)

console likes this.

2. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Love how the ad below your post says "Top DC Lobbying Group".

Typing on mobile sucks. Curious on how this will go.

3. stanleyopar2000
    OP

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States

hahaha it's probably ad words...maybe they are for sale too for us? XP

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    go ahead ban the gateway sky3ds will replace it :P

5. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    So far I don't see Gateway team mentioned. I wonder what they think they'll do with this. Flashcart packages marked as such have already been reported on gbatemp to be seized as soon as they're spotted, that's why no company is stupid enough to name what it is exactly that they're shipping in the package. Maybe next time they'll be smart enough to use ASLR on their consoles as well as hardcode the firmware version number in the signed file.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "Hackers were able to crack that system’s security and sell a special card that would enable people to download and play illegally pirated games on that portable device"

Got to love when a lack of knowledge of a field leads to their scary words coming up short -- a singular card is scary but hundreds of companies, from the proverbial mom and pop shop to small engineering firms, all making and competing in a big market, like what actually happened on the DS, is surely 50 times as scary.

Zetta_x and gamefan5 like this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh look, that's cute, Nintendo making a federal case out of what a very small % of people do, making little to no impact on sales. :creep:

flarn2006, Nightwish and weatMod like this.
  8. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Don't they have a DRM that only allows 10 games per Sky 3DS card? That's awful.

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Actually, that's no longer the case, or so they claim, their next version of the card supposedly no longer has that limit.

10. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    People wouldn't pirate if they didn't overcharge their games, made actual sales sometimes and if there wasn't region lock.
    + everyone wants homebrew, people would be less interested if they did all of that.

Nightwish likes this.
  11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Here is a quote from one of the interview with Gabe Newell:

Source: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/interviews/0012301-interview-gabe-newell.html

Nightwish and lufere7 like this.
  12. Naridar

Naridar Excelsior!

Oct 26, 2008
    Hungary
    Inb4 Nintendo's servers are hacked. No one seems to remember Geohot's case and how hackers don't like it if lawmakers enter their lair.

13. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    this is just a huge waste of money for them, something being illegal isn't going to stop it from happening millions of small packages come into america every single day almost none of them are checked, unless it smells like drugs or is huge and easily detectible it wont stop them from being used. the only thing this might stop is sellers from inside USA already and i thought that was already illegal.
    they'd probably have better luck stopping them just buying the factory where they are produced and shutting down.

Armadillo likes this.
  14. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It might scare off people though. For the DS you had a ton of people who didn't know too much about it going "oh I'll just get one of those download cards for my kids". Chances are some of those wouldn't do it if they knew importing those carts was illegal.

15. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

HAY YOU!

This is GBATemp you are not allowed to make so much sense.

but. Nintendo should stop thinking its the 80's and improve the online infrastructure, and invest its money in making better services.. even do they own PS PLUS.

migles and loco365 like this.
  16. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    Aren't flashcarts legal in the U.S.?

17. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

its grey area.

18. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    'Homebrew' :rofl2:

19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The fact that such a thing as "lobbying firms" exists says a lot about the US political and government system.

otto888, sblast3, jakeyjake and 2 others like this.
  20. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    The elephant in the room (or Panda as it may be) is the fact that, while developed nations like the US and Japan have economies that are reliant on developing and protecting intellectual property and natural resources, China's economy is based on stealing intellectual property and destroying natural resources.

The US government has an interest in protecting Nintendo's intellectual property. Unfortunately, these cards are not coming from the US. They are coming from a place with a totalitarian government that has shown zero interest in protecting the intellectual property of other nations, because they have so little of their own and because their economy has been built around stealing ideas, software, and even entire factories from developed nations and Western companies.

It's a case of putting the horse before the cart. The suppliers are not US-based.