WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
CI_WiiU_headline_TVii_image600w.png
Cancellation of Nintendo TVii service for European regions

At Nintendo of Europe, we continue to challenge ourselves to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all to enjoy. Due to the extremely complex nature of localising multiple television services across a diverse range of countries with varied licensing systems, regrettably we have taken the decision not to launch the Nintendo TVii service within the European region. Although on this occasion we did not anticipate such challenges, we will always strive to develop a range of entertaining experiences for all our users to enjoy.

With this in mind, Nintendo of Europe has launched the Nintendo Anime Channel, a new video-on-demand service on Nintendo 3DS which offers users the chance to stream anime series from the likes of Pokémon, Kirby, and Inazuma Eleven. New content will be added regularly and access to this service is granted simply by downloading a free application from Nintendo eShop.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

I never got to try out TVii but to be honest it's something that could've been accessed elsewhere anyway.

So hey Nintendo, how about make that Nintendo Anime Channel for the Wii U owners too? I'd like to watch free anime like 3DS owners do and in HQ/HD (there's Crunchyroll but it's not quite the same).

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
There are plenty of anime sites which can be accessed by the wii u browser. A direct channel would save a couple of seconds, but doesn't make that much of a difference.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This was coming and the news is now a few days old, I actually have a pending claim with small claims court in my country against Nintendo Europe and local Nintendo distributor Bergsala for false advertisement. I bought the Wii U at a time when TVii was advertised as a main feature, it still is taking up one slot in the HOME Menu for no reason at all and Nintendo promised the feature is coming. Europeans should be entitled to compensation under the Sale of Goods Act (exact ruling differs by country).

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
This was coming and the news is now a few days old, I actually have a pending claim with small claims court in my country against Nintendo Europe and local Nintendo distributor Bergsala for false advertisement. I bought the Wii U at a time when TVii was advertised as a main feature, it still is taking up one slot in the HOME Menu for no reason at all and Nintendo promised the feature is coming. Europeans should be entitled to compensation under the Sale of Goods Act (exact ruling differs by country).
Honestly, Ninty have prob calculated fighting in court/giving away settlements, would be cheaper than producing TVii. So if everyone goes for that settlement €€€ they may reconsider doing this in the future.

Either way, you'll have that settlement €€€. Your case is relatively strong, so I can't see how Ninty will brush it aside.

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's really not understandable that Nintendo discountinued certain services in only some regions.
Some people in Japan sent inappropriate pictures thru Swapnote, causing it to be halted worldwide.
Also, Nintendo video was discontinued in Australia & Japan for no obvious reasons.

Anyway, I live in China. Nintendo Video blocks foreigh IP, and I can't watch US TV programs even when I can access TVii here.

styckx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TvII sucks anyway. The concept is neat but the execution and slow state of the interface makes it undesirable.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TvII sucks anyway. The concept is neat but the execution and slow state of the interface makes it undesirable.

It would be cooler if channels were programmable to channel numbers. I have a slimmed-down TV package, which mis-aligns some channels, making TV unusable. It's unfortunate, because it would be kind of cool to participate in the "bonus content" sometimes

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wait...so up until now there were actual plannings of getting TVii to Europe? I thought this was some tacked on gimmick that was only announced because nowadays it sounds stupid if you say that your console's main function is to play videogames. ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The whole console/TV attempts are pretty stupid imo. Past the gamepad being used as a remote, I really don't think consoles should tread much deeper in the TV business.
Locked down singular design device, one capable of being connected to a TV, one capable of decoding video at an acceptable resolution and framerate, one with network infrastructure and one with an audience that is actually seeking to be entertained... why wouldn't you have some video/TV/film streaming functionality in there?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DarkWrath669

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Please do keep us updated as to how this goes?

Do you think this could lead to Nintendo issuing a small compensation to all Wii U users or potentially something like the Ambassador program when the 3DS got it's post launch price cut?

Would it be worth more individuals filing complaints do you think?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Please do keep us updated as to how this goes?

Do you think this could lead to Nintendo issuing a small compensation to all Wii U users or potentially something like the Ambassador program when the 3DS got it's post launch price cut?

Would it be worth more individuals filing complaints do you think?

If you want to make a court claim for a 'not as described' Sale of Goods Act product then check this link:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

They've got up to £815 which would grant you £50-100k but we know that's just too high and it wouldn't work out so maybe £500-1k (£60).

I've thought about it but I'd probably need to get a lawyer and whatnot and it'd just be too much of a hassle to claim a small amount (£1k is not that much, tbh).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?