Nintendo Has Officially Cancelled TVii for Europe

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by WiiCube_2013, Feb 23, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

I never got to try out TVii but to be honest it's something that could've been accessed elsewhere anyway.

So hey Nintendo, how about make that Nintendo Anime Channel for the Wii U owners too? I'd like to watch free anime like 3DS owners do and in HQ/HD (there's Crunchyroll but it's not quite the same).

2. LysergCooltyp

LysergCooltyp I don't know why the microwave burns

Nov 4, 2011
    There are plenty of anime sites which can be accessed by the wii u browser. A direct channel would save a couple of seconds, but doesn't make that much of a difference.

3. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Something i won't miss anyway :)
    Wish there was more then just Inazuma eleven, Kirby and Pokemon on the anime channel.

4. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    This was coming and the news is now a few days old, I actually have a pending claim with small claims court in my country against Nintendo Europe and local Nintendo distributor Bergsala for false advertisement. I bought the Wii U at a time when TVii was advertised as a main feature, it still is taking up one slot in the HOME Menu for no reason at all and Nintendo promised the feature is coming. Europeans should be entitled to compensation under the Sale of Goods Act (exact ruling differs by country).

thorasgar, Mario92 and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    And people tell me I think the worst of Nintendo -- I only predicted it would be shit in Europe, not that it would never make if off the starting line.

6. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Really (as a none euro owner) can say I never use the wiiu's video services except for the browser and YouTube for my videos

7. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    When referring to just 'Euro' that's the currency.

8. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Well I was using it as for an abbreviation of European

9. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    Honestly, Ninty have prob calculated fighting in court/giving away settlements, would be cheaper than producing TVii. So if everyone goes for that settlement €€€ they may reconsider doing this in the future.

Either way, you'll have that settlement €€€. Your case is relatively strong, so I can't see how Ninty will brush it aside.

10. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    It's really not understandable that Nintendo discountinued certain services in only some regions.
    Some people in Japan sent inappropriate pictures thru Swapnote, causing it to be halted worldwide.
    Also, Nintendo video was discontinued in Australia & Japan for no obvious reasons.

Anyway, I live in China. Nintendo Video blocks foreigh IP, and I can't watch US TV programs even when I can access TVii here.

11. styckx

styckx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2014
    United States
    TvII sucks anyway. The concept is neat but the execution and slow state of the interface makes it undesirable.

12. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It would be cooler if channels were programmable to channel numbers. I have a slimmed-down TV package, which mis-aligns some channels, making TV unusable. It's unfortunate, because it would be kind of cool to participate in the "bonus content" sometimes

13. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    Underground
    The whole console/TV attempts are pretty stupid imo. Past the gamepad being used as a remote, I really don't think consoles should tread much deeper in the TV business.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Wait...so up until now there were actual plannings of getting TVii to Europe? I thought this was some tacked on gimmick that was only announced because nowadays it sounds stupid if you say that your console's main function is to play videogames. ;)

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Locked down singular design device, one capable of being connected to a TV, one capable of decoding video at an acceptable resolution and framerate, one with network infrastructure and one with an audience that is actually seeking to be entertained... why wouldn't you have some video/TV/film streaming functionality in there?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. DarkWrath669

DarkWrath669 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2014
    Hampshire

Please do keep us updated as to how this goes?

Do you think this could lead to Nintendo issuing a small compensation to all Wii U users or potentially something like the Ambassador program when the 3DS got it's post launch price cut?

Would it be worth more individuals filing complaints do you think?

17. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If you want to make a court claim for a 'not as described' Sale of Goods Act product then check this link:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

They've got up to £815 which would grant you £50-100k but we know that's just too high and it wouldn't work out so maybe £500-1k (£60).

I've thought about it but I'd probably need to get a lawyer and whatnot and it'd just be too much of a hassle to claim a small amount (£1k is not that much, tbh).

18. Mushkin

Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2007
    Portugal, Porto
    well that sucks