OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
image (6).png

For a while now, the New Nintendo 2DS XL has been the only model of the 3DS line in production - here in the states, at least. That is, until today. On the 3DS page of Nintendo of Japan's website, Nintendo notes near the bottom of the site that "Production of the main body of the Nintendo 3DS series has been discontinued." It was noticed yesterday by Japanese Twitter users. Meanwhile, on Nintendo of America's site, there's no mention of the 3DS line anywhere, with links to the former 3DS landing page redirecting to the homepage. This can only mean one thing: The day of reckoning has come for our favorite little handheld. Something tells me it's not long until the eShop and online services shut down, marking true EoL for the Nintendo 3DS.

The good news though, for those of you who may not own a 3DS yet, Nintendo appears to still be selling refurbished systems on their online store. For how long though, I cannot say. It may be a good idea to pick one up while you still can.

:arrow:Source: Twitter
:arrow:Source: Nintendo of Japan
:arrow:Source: Nintendo Online Store

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess all the parts have finally been used up. A shame they didn't try to squeeze in one last "Mario 35th Edition" 2DS XL console.

At least the eShop should be open for a little longer but I hate to imagine 3DS digital only games being lost when Nintendo deems the online shop not worth the cost of keeping the servers running.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Good riddance I say. The 3DS and 2DS dont deserve to breathe the same air as the Xbox series X and PS5.

Rest in hell threeee deeee esssss.......
Where is the dislike button.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean, the Switch is technically a portable console :unsure:
It doesn't fit in a pocket and if it did the screens, analog sticks and other things would be exposed so you would probably want to get some carrying case thing for it. Sure, it's more portable than carrying an entire home console, but it's not a true pocket handheld system like the 3DS and other DS systems.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't fit in a pocket and if it did the screens, analog sticks and other things would be exposed so you would probably want to get some carrying case thing for it. Sure, it's more portable than carrying an entire home console, but it's not a true pocket handheld system like the 3DS and other DS systems.
Yeah, hence why I said "technically".

Deleted member 318366

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good riddance I say. The 3DS and 2DS dont deserve to breathe the same air as the Xbox series X and PS5.

Rest in hell threeee deeee esssss.......

Can't say I'll miss the 3DS/2DS either, sold my first day 1 aqua blue around a year after I bought it and then traded my 3DS XL for a Switch a few years back when the Switch was making it's debut and I've highly enjoyed it more than the 3DS ever since.

Long live the Nintendo Switch!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Something tells me it's not long until the eShop and online services shut down, marking true EoL for the Nintendo 3DS.
I don't understand why people keep saying this. The old Nintendo WFC was shut down because Nintendo had less control over it than they do over the current 3DS online services. And the Wii Shop endured for a very long time. (Of course, that was also accessible from the Wii U, but nonetheless.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The console I've owned more variants of (a grand total of 6)
The console I've played a single title the longest on (Xenoblade)
The console the documentation of which I have contributed the most
...the console I've owned I care for the least, as poor battery life plus online updates and DLC a quality platform don't make!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Take good care of your 2|3DS consoles, repair them if needed instead of replacing and continue to have fun with them.

End of production does not mean obsolete. It is only "dead" if you make it dead. I seriously hope the hardware will come near to the longevity of previous Nintendo consoles. The clam shell design makes it prone to wear on ribbon cables; let's hope enough 2|3DS survive some decades.

Game Boy, (S)NES, N64 all still working with zero problems. Still having fun with those and they are out of production since forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...