Hardware Nintendo had the better show!

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
We still haven't seen it all. so why complain yet? They said there will be a massive line-up for the 3DS today.
What I fear is that the massive lineup is just a string of titles which have already been announced and they are simply holding game demos.

Seriously how much can you show in 1 hour?
If they are going to only show trailers without all the talking and stuff and each trailer is 2 mins then they could show 30 games. Of course, that is unlikely to happen.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
We still haven't seen it all. so why complain yet? They said there will be a massive line-up for the 3DS today.
What I fear is that the massive lineup is just a string of titles which have already been announced and they are simply holding game demos.

If they are going to only show trailers without all the talking and stuff and each trailer is 2 mins then they could show 30 games. Of course, that is unlikely to happen.
What I mean is that they show gameplay of already announced titles like what they did with the Wii U presentation (with the exception of some like Scibblenauts of course).

The 3DS already has quite a few announced titles which can be shown tomorrow: Castlevania MoF, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Epic Mickey, Samurai Warriors 2 etc. Together with the first party games, these games could easily make up the one hour presentation.

What I really want are UNannounced 3DS titles or localizations such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default or Monster Hunter. They did a spectacular show with the Pre-TGS show (85% of titles are new ones) and I hope this E3 show will be the same. However I feel that this might not happen.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, no reason at all. Except uh.. oh wait, the fact that they're releasing a new console and they need people to buy it.

We already know of Super Smash Bros Wii U, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3 and a Zelda Wii U.

So if we already know about them there's no harm teasing them. Imagine all those games got teased: we'd have learnt nothing new but the conference would've been a zillion times better.

And we all KNOW that there's going to be a 3D Mario, a Zelda, a Metroid, probably a Starfox, probably a Pokémon arena game, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore them and not mention them. You said that we already know of a Zelda Wii U game. Do we? We know of a tech demo, that's all. The next Zelda game could be 5 years away for all we know.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

What I mean is that they show gameplay of already announced titles like what they did with the Wii U presentation (with the exception of some like Scibblenauts of course).

The 3DS already has quite a few announced titles which can be shown tomorrow: Castlevania MoF, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Epic Mickey, Samurai Warriors 2 etc. Together with the first party games, these games could easily make up the one hour presentation.

What I really want are UNannounced 3DS titles or localizations such as Fire Emblem, Bravely Default or Monster Hunter. They did a spectacular show with the Pre-TGS show (85% of titles are new ones) and I hope this E3 show will be the same. However I feel that this might not happen.
I'm dying to hear more about contra, it was teased last year and Konami didn't mentioned it in their conference, hopefully they've been saving it for Nintendo's 3DS showcase.

Crimson Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, no reason at all. Except uh.. oh wait, the fact that they're releasing a new console and they need people to buy it.

We already know of Super Smash Bros Wii U, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3 and a Zelda Wii U.

So if we already know about them there's no harm teasing them. Imagine all those games got teased: we'd have learnt nothing new but the conference would've been a zillion times better.

And we all KNOW that there's going to be a 3D Mario, a Zelda, a Metroid, probably a Starfox, probably a Pokémon arena game, but that doesn't mean they can just ignore them and not mention them. You said that we already know of a Zelda Wii U game. Do we? We know of a tech demo, that's all. The next Zelda game could be 5 years away for all we know.

There's no point teasing them when the Wii U is going to sell well regardless. It's more logical for them to bring out the big guns next year when the Wii U sales slowly decline and Xbox/Sony might announce a new console.

Zelda Wii U is confirmed, it's just a matter of when. You're making it sound like Zelda Wii U isn't confirmed.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no point teasing them when the Wii U is going to sell well regardless.

But is it? That's my worry. If they'd showed those games, then everyone would be like RIGHT, DAY 1 PURCHASE. You can't just assume your fans know what you're going to release, especially when they spent so long in that conference going over the very basics that we've already known for a year. To me, it doesn't look like Nintendo has those games and is holding them back. It looks like they don't have those games lined up yet at all. And that means I'm probably not going to buy Wii U until they're announced (and I bought GBA, GC, DS, Wii and 3DS at launch).

Zelda Wii U is confirmed, it's just a matter of when. You're making it sound like Zelda Wii U isn't confirmed.

But that could be 5 years into the lifecycle, so it's irrelevant to whether I buy the console this Christmas. Same for Smash Bros. For all I know a 3D Mario, a Mario Kart, a Mario Party, a Mario Tennis, an Animal Crossing, a Metroid, an F-Zero and a Star Fox title could all come out before their Zelda game sees the light of day, because they showed no glimpse of any of those franchises this E3.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Watch out guys, because professional electrical engineer, Foxi4 is here. Not only does he understand electronics better than anyone else in his field, but he has some of the most original ideas ever.

Really, Nintendo should snap this guy up. Noone in Nintendo would be able to come up with the idea of being able to use 4 controllers at once, or splitscreen gameplay. That unique and original idea belongs to genius mastermind, Foxi4.

And not only this, but he knows how easy it would be to implement it. While the whole of Nintendo's team faff around with NFC and geomagnetic sensors, this guy knows the best way to stream data to controllers.

It's a real shame Foxi4 hasn't met with Iwata, because there's noone else in the whole company who could come up with the idea of four controllers without him, or come up with an engineering solution for it as well as him.
Exactly.

Please, show me how mad you are. I need more, more!

And seriously, the lack of 4-WiiU Game Pad controller is the only thing that sort of disappoints me in the console, but I can live without it, I suppose. Here's for hoping that they'll carry on working on this issue.

I´ve been reading your posts and in case you didn´t know, there are also different usable controllers. while it's limited to 2 tablets, you can use more other controllers. there´s bound to be split-screen, jeez.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I´ve been reading your posts and in case you didn´t know, there are also different usable controllers. while it's limited to 2 tablets, you can use more other controllers. there´s bound to be split-screen, jeez.
Hey - I'm excited for the WiiU too, so get off my back already, people! :lol:

Since its announcement I was excited for one feature and one feature only - split-screen. The capacity for utilizing numerous screens made this console the perfect opportunity for introducing split-screen that would not be a pain to play, with the TV displaying statistics while all the players would have their own screen to play on - no more peaking and cheating. Now we learn that you can only use two screens, and it's sort of a buzzkill, but the WiiU is still a good console and I'm not bashing it. I'm just... slightly disappointed, that's all.

inb4 More Nintendo fans rage for no reason and cry out that two screens is enough blah blah blah.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey - I'm excited for the WiiU too, so get off my back already, people! :lol:

Since its announcement I was excited for one feature and one feature only - split-screen. The capacity for utilizing numerous screens made this console the perfect opportunity for introducing split-screen that would not be a pain to play, with the TV displaying statistics while all the players would have their own screen to play on - no more peaking and cheating. Now we learn that you can only use two screens, and it's sort of a buzzkill, but the WiiU is still a good console and I'm not bashing it. I'm just... slightly disappointed, that's all.

inb4 More Nintendo fans rage for no reason and cry out that two screens is enough blah blah blah.
Foxi, stop your whining. You're just a Sony fanboy that will only accept Nintendo if they make the ideal system, and even then you probably wouldn't accept them. 2 screens is enough.

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Considering Nintendo's recent statement that using 2 gamepads will reduce the frame rate to 30, I do think they could get 4 gamepads running, except with a catch. It would end up at 15fps for each of the 4 gamepads (and 20fps for 3 gamepads) with some lag. Whether it is a bandwidth or compression/time problem, it seems only 1 gamepad can receive the stream within a frame's worth of time, so to offset this, they cross the streams (interleave or mix are better terms, but I'm thinking of Ghostbusters right now).

Simply, at frame #1, the WiiU renders and sends a frame to gamepad 1 based on gamepad 1's perspective, then at frame #2, the WiiU renders and sends a frame to gamepad 2 based on gamepad 2's perspective, and they alternate, all the while the gamepad not receiving a frame is displaying their last frame received. Audio is not nearly as strenuous on bandwidth, so they could be sending to each at the same time (in a manner of speaking). Same could be said for 4 gamepads, which first is #1, then #2, then #3, then #4, and alternates in that order.

In this manner, the amount of work the WiiU would do at any given time, no matter the number of gamepads connected, would be roughly the same amount as if only 1 was connected. Is this making any sense?

Crimson Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
There's no point teasing them when the Wii U is going to sell well regardless.

But is it? That's my worry. If they'd showed those games, then everyone would be like RIGHT, DAY 1 PURCHASE. You can't just assume your fans know what you're going to release, especially when they spent so long in that conference going over the very basics that we've already known for a year. To me, it doesn't look like Nintendo has those games and is holding them back. It looks like they don't have those games lined up yet at all. And that means I'm probably not going to buy Wii U until they're announced (and I bought GBA, GC, DS, Wii and 3DS at launch).

But that could be 5 years into the lifecycle, so it's irrelevant to whether I buy the console this Christmas. Same for Smash Bros. For all I know a 3D Mario, a Mario Kart, a Mario Party, a Mario Tennis, an Animal Crossing, a Metroid, an F-Zero and a Star Fox title could all come out before their Zelda game sees the light of day, because they showed no glimpse of any of those franchises this E3.

E3 is becoming less about the consumers and more about the investors. You go back to some of the E3s in the late 90s and (it seemed) that it was all about hyping up consumers for the new games. It was Christmas for gamers and nearly every year it was amazing.

Not it’s about impressing the investors with a versatile system that appeals to every market base. Nintendo knows what its fans want. They know all gamers would cream their pants at even an announcement of a new Star Fox, F-Zero or even Zelda, but they held back. Why?

The answer is that those sorts of announcements do not interest investors. Those announcements please a crowd that is already going to buy Nintendo products. It’s not making new money. So Nintendo pushes a bunch of bullshit shovelware and family friend crap to show investors that, “hey, there are still untapped markets that we are able to take advantage of! Look at the families having fun!”

It just pisses me off how the conference has changed. It feels like our hobby is being whored out for others who never gave a shit about video games, while we, the gamers that have enjoyed our hobbies for decades, get scraps.

Reactions: 1 person

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
The answer is that those sorts of announcements do not interest investors. Those announcements please a crowd that is already going to buy Nintendo products. It’s not making new money. So Nintendo pushes a bunch of bullshit shovelware and family friend crap to show investors that, “hey, there are still untapped markets that we are able to take advantage of! Look at the families having fun!”

I just disagree. People who care enough to invest a significant amount of money in Nintendo and care enough to watch E3 assuredly will know their most commercially successful franchises, and those are their premiere first party titles.

They're trying to drum up interest in the casual market, but noone there cares.

And, again, there is no reason to assume any decent Ninty first party will come out for the forseeable future. If they're not even announced anywhere vaguely as "in development", there's no reason to assume they exist. They could intend to release a Kirby and Animal Crossing game long before SSB and Zelda.

And remember Smash Bros Dojo. That site was running for a long time, drumming up weekly interest (and then unfortunately Brawl couldn't really live up to the hype, despite being a great all round game). If they had something in the work, they'd want to play that card NOW, before the console comes out. Remember how much of a shit launch the 3DS was. It's still barely a passable console right now. It has Mario, Mario Kart, Tales of the Abyss (a remake, but new for Nintendo), Lylat Wars (a remake) and OOT (a remake that we've all played thousands of times by now). I still haven't bought a second game for my launch 3DS (it came with Monkey Ball, which was disappointing, especially since it looked like for people who don't like Street Fighter it was by far the best launch title).

Even now, we're waiting until Christmas for Luigi's Mansion 2, and Paper Mario (which was looking good until they just ruined it. They crushed the RPG element. You have to peel off stickers to even attack in battle? Battling gives you NO experience and you lose stickers so there's more incentive to run away from enemies than to fight them at all? The majority of the gameplay based around inventory management? After PM2 was such an amazing game it sounds like such a series ruiner), and there's no sign this E3 of Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing, so they're probably looking at at soonest Q2 2013.

At the level the 3DS is running at and how infrequent any worthwhile releases have been on the Wii lately (I mean.. on the worthwhile first party front in the past 3 years from Wii we've only had SMG2 and Skyward Sword) I'd be surprised if we'd be looking at a badass Nintendo first party Christmas 2013 or even 2014 on the Wii U.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's another thing - only two WiiU pads per console is a downer for me. It's not like Split-Screen would be an issue - you have screens *on the controller*, what's the issue?
Have you ever done 5 monitor eyefinity on your computer
Even at standard definition, it would be a nightmare. not to mention the probable bandwidth limitations on their streaming technology. Stop grumbling about the impossible
That is something I never really thought of... but at the same time, it could at least be used for games displayed on the TV with "enhancements" on the gamepad (like the DS/3DS bottom screen) for 4 players, couldn't it? I couldn't possibly imagine that being so demanding. But regardless, I think 2 gamepads is enough.

Just in case anyone is interested:

http://nintendoevery...-console-specs/

Good night everyone.
I wonder which Wii software and accessories won't be included in "nearly all".

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Remember how much of a shit launch the 3DS was. It's still barely a passable console right now. It has Mario, Mario Kart, Tales of the Abyss (a remake, but new for Nintendo), Lylat Wars (a remake) and OOT (a remake that we've all played thousands of times by now). I still haven't bought a second game for my launch 3DS (it came with Monkey Ball, which was disappointing, especially since it looked like for people who don't like Street Fighter it was by far the best launch title).
I kinda agree with you. Though I'm rather happy with my current 3DS library, I do find myself realizing how ridiculous it is that I only have about 7 games (and no others available yet that I'm interested in), meanwhile the console has been out for close to a year and a half. Btw in your list, you forgot Kid Icarus: Uprising! :sad:
Even now, we're waiting until Christmas for... Paper Mario (which was looking good until they just ruined it. They crushed the RPG element. You have to peel off stickers to even attack in battle? Battling gives you NO experience and you lose stickers so there's more incentive to run away from enemies than to fight them at all? The majority of the gameplay based around inventory management? After PM2 was such an amazing game it sounds like such a series ruiner).
I'm honestly not 100% sure whether or not I like the new style of Paper Mario 3D. It kinda reminds me of the battle system in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Part of me understands why they changed around the gameplay (after all, the Mario & Luigi series was basically the "replacement" for Paper Mario on handhelds during the GBA and DS era, and had similar gameplay). But the other part of me is disappointed they went this route. I'm wiling to give the game a chance, though.
At the level the 3DS is running at and how infrequent any worthwhile releases have been on the Wii lately (I mean.. on the worthwhile first party front in the past 3 years from Wii we've only had SMG2 and Skyward Sword) I'd be surprised if we'd be looking at a badass Nintendo first party Christmas 2013 or even 2014 on the Wii U.
I hope your wrong, though I really have no reason to think you are. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I bet you don't pirate game either