Nintendo gives more details about its online service, cloud saves get deleted if you cancel your sub

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I feel like the prices of the controllers makes sense. Anything base on the Joy-Con is going be expensive.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    But they don't have any of the features of the Joy-cons at all. AFAIK, they're literally just two wireless NES controllers that charge via the joycon rails.

Subtle Demise and lexarvn like this.
  3. Daisy

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    You can easily get a system that'll play new games adequately for under 300 dollars. May have to set the settings on medium or low, but you can get something that does the job.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Good point, something like an AMD system with an APU is pretty cheap these days. And those are a great budget-friendly jumping-off point that offers a nice upgrade path.

5. Daisy

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    Hell, I have a secondary PC that has an i5 2400 and a GTX 1050Ti and it cost me about £200. Never had any problems with it. Medium settings, usually.

6. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Dang, nice score. But yeah, that just goes to show that there are options.

7. yummycake

yummycake GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Thank god I wasn't impatient enough to sell my 3DS for extra cash.
    It still has its perks.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Go one further.
    While I can't predict too far into the future I am fairly confident in saying that you will really need a PC for the remainder of the Switch new releases lifetime. To that end the 300 for a nice refurb machine + cost of a switch + gearing it up gets you something nice.

Again though it is not the money but the principle. If you are going to charge for something which has been free and has not all of a sudden got more expensive then you had better be offering something of note for it.

9. Daisy

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    Pretty easy to do, just grab an HP Elite 8200 (or better!) Office PC and throw the most powerful card that doesn't require supplemental power. Cheap but effective PC.

Arecaidian Fox likes this.
  10. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    You might be right, but basically $30 for each wireless controller is fair, right?

11. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Agreed, completely.
    Yeah, I have a buddy who pretty much exclusively budget games by repurposing old workstation units. Most of his stuff was free or absurdly cheap, which freed up money to sink into a nice 1440p ultrawide monitor. Spiffy stuff.

12. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    How is that fair when i basically bought a snes mini and a nes mini for that price new with 2 controllers ?

DarthDub and Subtle Demise like this.
  13. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Buy a GTX 1050 + a used HP Elite 8300 for ~$330 (today's price*) and you get a system that can play a lot of modern games on high/ultra. In fact, that system is powerful enough to run cemu. Also, a lot of Steam deal games or other bundles are really cheap compared to Nintendo offerings. Add to that Steam offers free cloud backup and you can, you know, actually make your own backups too.

There's of course tons of other possible combinations. You could buy all your games at thrift stores or ebay. Plenty of people at garage sales sell ridiculously cheap laptops (sub $50) that are underpowered by modern standards but are as powerful as the Switch. If you feel the need to buy new, you can find $200 laptops that aren't consider "gaming" worthy but really are if you set your target game year back 5 years (and use external storage, admittedly).

If all you care about is the latest games, though, you can always wait 5-10 years and I'm sure Nintendo will port it to their Switch successor as a "remake".

Ninja'd. :) I'd definitely say spring for the 8300. The 8200's topped out at Intel Core i7-2600 (3.40 GHz, 8MB cache, 4 cores) but I think they're relatively rare and you're more likely to get an i5-2400. With the 8300, it also varies but i5-3470 seem common and you can luck out and get an i5-3570 like I did.

* I bought one for cheap for those components but also got an SSD and had an external HDD so the total is closer to ~$550 maybe.

Last edited by kuwanger, Sep 14, 2018
  14. mituzora

mituzora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2016
    United States
    This is simply not true. Lets not forget the save data exploits to get access to both the PSP(with Lumines) and the Vita(can't remember the name) so they can't use this excuse.

I'm okay with the service, I'm okay with the cloud data stuff too, hell the only thing I'm not okay is the requirement of a subscription to buy the NES controllers. may as well buy an 8bitdo (or two) and go with that. you buy a year subscription and then have to buy the NES controllers, it turns out the same price as joycons...that can only be used for NES classics from what I'm gathering.

15. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Man...remember when Animal Crossing on gamecube CAME with free NES games? Those same free NES games now on switch paid online?

Last edited by Pluupy, Sep 14, 2018
  16. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    Xbox made backups of your saves for free, also you need your phone to chat or talk with others, I am very dissapointed.... nity can go to de hell in my opinion.

sleepymanakete and Subtle Demise like this.
  17. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    The bit about the save backups really irks me. Not only do you have to aim for a paid subscription in order to even make save backups in the first place, but you also have no control over them once you lose your subscription. Literally every other system allows you to back up saves locally for free, which leads me to believe that either Nintendo's head staff are impossibly out of touch, their IT staff are incompetent, or a combination of both.

Also, the trickling release schedule of older titles is a real punch to the gut, especially considering how we seem to be starting from scratch again, on top of Nintendo's recent crusade against ROM sites.

18. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I was going to say that the controllers are wireless and compare them to the wired controllers price, but can't find a reliable comparison. I concede.

19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I would find 40 more a fair price so 20 a piece

20. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    The extra controllers for NES Classic are $10. There may be some added value for wireless versions, but 3x the cost?