1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I hope they will at least give you a grace period in case you forget to renew. Something like 14 days would be good.

DarkSeele likes this.
  2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    A service with servers this community specifically has abused for its easy access during the freeshop years.
    A service that has not really become much cheaper for the companies setting them up and won't become cheaper considering projected switch sales numbers.
    A service that's still cheaper than the other gaming giants. It's less than 2 bucks a month for Christ's sake

Hozu likes this.
  3. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    While Online is a low cost, they've done a very bad job justifying that cost. I would need to see exactly how cloud saves work on their platform though before I decide how just how poor their policy on deleting them is.

sleepymanakete and VinsCool like this.
  4. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    Also, why couldn't they backup your saves like they did on the 3ds?

DuoForce likes this.
  5. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    why are you all hating on Nintendo? Don't they make fully hackable systems generation after generation for all your haxor needs?
    I say thank you Nintendo!

stüssy likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    And?
    The bandwidth, IO/db peformance, storage... costs of servers have plummeted. The demands of games they do have stayed the same. Switch sales numbers are high, games sold which is the bigger tell of server demand are not.
    Still infinitely more than free which again has been demonstrably pulled off for decades now elsewhere. If they are going to be greedy cunts then I will call them on it.

Because that 3ds and Wii U homebrew was such a thing which could not have been obtained everywhere else?

7. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hmm yeah I'm still skipping out on this

8. renes2

renes2 ~New World~

Germany
    You.... You... You were meant to defeat the dark side!
    Not to join them!

Nah, But really, The switch could Do so mich more.
    But Nintendo itself reduces it to a Port and Old School Machine.
    Why? Oh god, Why Nintendo?
    It is Like everybody who owned a wiiU/3ds and bought a switch, is just here to play all of the games again and again.
    I dont know how many Times Nintendo will offer US their old games again and again.
    I really really hope, Q4 and Q1/2019 are really bringing the old Nintendo Flair back, otherwise, I will well my Switch (Like it even matters, people will still buy all this Shit)

9. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Agreed. This is what it actually comes down to. Their policies are asinine at times, but the vast majority of Switch owners and players won't care in the end, because, realistically, it doesn't personally affect them, they don't know, or they simply don't care.

I'm going to pay for the service because I want to play Smash Bros and Mario Kart online. It's inexpensive, and the majority of the downsides don't actually affect me, or my many family members who I'll be playing with.

But the save data thing is a tad bothersome - especially for a handheld device. I'd understand it (slightly) more for a console that never leaves your living room, but handhelds are just more prone to breaking, dropping, getting forgotten, stolen, etc.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Hozu

Hozu GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Is my save data retained if I cancel my Nintendo Switch Online membership?

We are unable to guarantee that cloud save data will be retained after an extended period of time from when your membership is ended. However, you can continue to use the save data that is saved to your system memory.

Source: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

Sounds like the same thing as Pokémon Bank. ie. the space your data is in becomes available some short time after your subscription expires, and it's just up to chance as to whether or not it ends up being overwritten. Considering that this is a source directly from NoA, it should be added to the main post, hm?

Last edited by Hozu, Sep 14, 2018
  11. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

United States
    You are the reason why nintendo keep pulling shit out of their butts like this one and throwing it in their costumers faces.

12. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

United States
    I'm actually okay with paid online, provided I have good incentives to pay for the service beyond just, "Give us money for multiplayer." Unfortunately, Nintendo's offerings here are paltry and borderline offensive.

digipimp75, DarthDub, Treeko and 4 others like this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

Canada
    More like "our fans are so dedicated they will pay for garbage anyway!"

14. DarkSeele

DarkSeele Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
    Do u guys even read?
    Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9fmglf/nintendoswitchonline_will_feel_even_more/

15. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Japan
    Just because something is cheap doesn't make it worth it.

16. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    Well... I was holding off until this announcement to mod my Switch. Now I will. What is best right now? Rei's? Will get to it.

Nintendo has very fun innovators with good ideas working for it, but its commercial department, which always sucked, has become abhorent this year with the new administration. I cannot in good conscience support it. I will vote with my money and stop buying their things.

MY SAVES ARE MY PERSONAL PROPERTY, if you are walling them in your stupid server, at least freaking keep them in a semi-permanent fashion, you greedy fucks.

Last edited by MarkDarkness, Sep 14, 2018
    mangotowel likes this.
  17. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

United States
  18. Digs

Digs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Honestly, the only thing that seems unreasonable is the controllers needing a subscription to purchase. I have an SN30 Pro so it's not the end of the world, those NES controllers are pretty neat though.

Last edited by Digs, Sep 14, 2018
  19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Like I said, any and all "incentives" can be its own service. Instead of hijacking the online for absolutely no reason.

Subtle Demise and Arecaidian Fox like this.
  20. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    Yeah that price is over the top. I always said after the gamecube days nintendo stopped caring for their fans but everybody always said i was wrong. Glad people their eyes are finally getting opened how greedy Nintendo actually became and anti consumer they are

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, details, service