Nintendo gives a glimpse into its storage room full of retro stuff

ninty retro room.JPG

As part of a series of a series of posts celebrating the 30th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda series, Nintendo Japan released some pictures from inside its closet full of Famicoms and its add-on, the Famicom Disk Systems. The latter could be used to play floppy disk games that could be rewritten using store-based "Disk Writer" kiosks in Japan (see last picture below). This expansion was discontinued after 3 years following the ease of piracy of these floppy disks and the advent of innovations increasing the memory capacity of regular cartridges.
00000419_01.jpg 00000419_02.jpg 00000419_03.jpg 00000419_12.jpg
They even did an unboxing to show that they're not just for show:

00000419_03.jpg 00000419_04.jpg 00000419_05.jpg 00000419_06.jpg
All in mint condition!

And to prove that they actually do work, they booted this on a retro CRT TV, evoking even more nostalgic memories:

00000419_11.jpg

Just like old times!

We didn't even know Nintendo had such storage rooms with these goodies and now a lot (if not all) of us will dream to get into one of them. And we can't help but wonder what's out of shot or what other rooms are hiding...

:arrow: SOURCE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have occasionally been in store rooms like this for various companies. Most such things tend to be kept in small quantities for future lawsuits, parts checking, fake checking, general reference, [insert variations on the theme of my business/country/the world needs this part you used to make, here is a blank cheque for one], museum exhibitions, photo shoots and general posterity of course. Most of the ones I have done have been for engineering and the like rather than consumer goods, main difference being you don't get so many cool boxes, but I can safely say I would be up for a wander round Nintendo's.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
We didn't even know Nintendo had such storage rooms with these goodies and now a lot (if not all) of us will dream to get into one of them. And we can't help but wonder what's out of shot or what other rooms are hiding...
i always thought that they had something like this...
i was more expecting a storage area with old stuff in some forgotten part.. not an actuall room!
i makes sense a company and\or it's creators keeping a copy or a few copies of their product for memories...
i also believe they also got the other systems like the N64, snes etc.. and it's main accessories..

i also do believe either nintendo, game freak (or both) have a storage full of unboxed pokemon blue, red, green yellow...
which nowadays is something worth loadsofmoney

my question is now, will they also show the other systems and the other cool stuff they have in storages?

Reactions: Prans

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read this article yesterday and it was like my heart sank. Oh my goodness, that was so wrought with nostalgia. I never had the Famicom, but it was like watching a very powerful history lesson. I can only imagine how much those freshly unboxed Famicoms would go for. Well, Nintendo having them, it'd be cheaper than a scalper overestimating its value.

Reactions: Prans

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hope they havent made the same with gameboys :B you know if it keep much time without turning on, bye bye screen ;;;;not that it would be hard for them to find some replacement, right? xD

I have occasionally been in store rooms like this for various companies. Most such things tend to be kept in small quantities for future lawsuits, parts checking, fake checking, general reference, [insert variations on the theme of my business/country/the world needs this part you used to make, here is a blank cheque for one], museum exhibitions, photo shoots and general posterity of course. Most of the ones I have done have been for engineering and the like rather than consumer goods, main difference being you don't get so many cool boxes, but I can safely say I would be up for a wander round Nintendo's.
oh this is interesting ... I wounder if place slike HP have at leats one model of everything they had producted? :v omg hahaha
but well, make sense having stuff keeps this way... imagine if they hadto buy an used famicom to get reference and stuff for the famicom mini XD

i also do believe either nintendo, game freak (or both) have a storage full of unboxed pokemon blue, red, green yellow...
which nowadays is something worth loadsofmoney
someplaces used pokemon games are very cheap ... In japan for example you can find boxed pokemon green for 150yen (at elats I saw a photo :v ) and I wnat it! lol

I saw some people here doing stuff like the pokemon carts where coca cola bottles you can find everywhere ... like soldering out the rom to make a flashcard, geting the clock out to use somewhere, kiling the rumble (pinball) to make an NDS rumble cart, geting an Seuper GB and a pokemon blue and doings everyting in one snes cart for no actal reason hhahha
and where stuff like these worth a lot of money :v I can't understand why here is so expensive (and not that rare at all)... I wish I could import some loads and get rich here hahaha

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I have occasionally been in store rooms like this for various companies.
@FAST6191 you're our real insider agent. So glad to have you on board!

______________________________________​

@migles I also thought companies would have copies of all of their products for reasons FAST stated but never expected a room full of them that looks like the storage of a retail shop. And we saw only one console!

Reactions: Sliter

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dats kewl! Also, do the controllers detatch from the Japanese version of the NES? I like the color scheme a lot!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
ho i forgot to say something...
i am surprised that the tv is not this one:
Sharp_C1_NES_TV_14C-C1F.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dats kewl! Also, do the controllers detatch from the Japanese version of the NES? I like the color scheme a lot!
look in the pictures, you can see the controllers are attached and can't be disconnected unlike the Nintendo Entertainment System...

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Most such things tend to be kept in small quantities for future lawsuits, parts checking, fake checking, general reference, [insert variations on the theme of my business/country/the world needs this part you used to make, here is a blank cheque for one], museum exhibitions, photo shoots and general posterity of course.
Stop it, stop it! Let me believe they keep them there to play on! :(

Reactions: Deleted User

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
they are dethcable but you nee dto open the console... something like the analogic on n64 cntrolers XD
tiGPxJpPuDkqNfQh.huge

crgVqI3oWGfU1IcC.huge

I saw someone that just got a controler 1 (2 have a mic ) and swaped housing with the NES controller to have an changeable FC controler xD
I also like these colors o3o
Every famicon special edition a consela had is far pretier than nes version ... but nes specials are nice too XD(exept 3DSXL, that had to be a new 3DXL....)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know about HP -- you get one of each of the dozens of model of ever so subtly different inkjet and laser printer on the market at any one time, worse still every board spin or firmware*, and the space requirements would be insane, multiply that by the server stuff and it gets ridiculous. That said Intel had a lot of stuff when I got a sneaky look in one of their places once, and that was a relatively new place. It is not all museum grade storage with reference cards and everything though, indeed it is a pleasant surprise if there is a reasonable thread of logic into the storage of parts lists, flow and circuit diagrams and operation manuals on a computer, let alone real world devices.

*I have heard of this one happening for some of the crazier devices that cost obscene amounts of money, or which were designed for uses where failure has very serious consequences.

For the "in a room" comments then while I have been in clean and properly air conditioned warehouses they are the exception and the upkeep on them is more than most execs are willing to foot for basic consumer goods like this. Kicking an office type room in a building you have to keep some of your engineers and the like happy is a different prospect, at least until someone does some maths on the average rent in Tokyo or something.

On games then a few years back there articles on companies having lost source code to all sorts of things. If the sort of thing covered in the OP interests any of you then you might like some of that as well
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/game...-mean-when-they-lost-source-code-wh-33105083/
http://www.dvhardware.net/article28750.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1014845/sega-loses-source-code-games
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6271/where_games_go_to_sleep_the_game_.php?print=1

@FAST6191 you're our real insider agent. So glad to have you on board!
When not being boring and doing IT I do occasionally get to wander around old places like this with a multimeter or vernier callipers or something to attempt to figure something out. If you have seen the martian then the bit where they pull off a sheet from the duplicate probe and start playing then that, except not so much with cool space probes and more boring industrial connectors or car parts or something. If you do meet someone that does such things and feel the need to reference a film though then go with that rather than Paycheck.

Also possibly of passing relevance
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1402-pe-brain-bank.html

There was also a ted talk I saw once about boss guy in a weaving company that kept the punch cards or whatever they were for many many years despite nobody using them and them taking up space, apparently though in the end the original customer had the weaving go beyond being able to be repaired and they phoned up the company and a new one was made from the original pattern. I can not seem to find the talk though.

i think it's time they cleaned out their closets :creep:
Yeah I have a van and would happily help them clean out that room.

bajol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
am I the only one that would prefer a snes mini instead of a nes/famicom mini?
anything below gba/snes/md(genesis) is kind of unplayable for me

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
looks just like sega's secret store room, i will see if i can find a link, but sega did a lil tour of their store room and they even had snes games and stuff in there ....for.....errr.....research :ph34r:

EDIT: heres the link, lots of beta builds and stuff, i would love to spend the day in one of those rooms XD
http://blogs.sega.com/2008/08/07/the-sega-game-archive/

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)