Gaming Nintendo Free Repair Offered for SSBB Issues

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo is offering the same kind of service for problematic Wii's (that can't play SSBB) that they did in Japan. Nintendo claims the problem is due to dust and smoke, but there are reports of people having the SSBB disc-not-recognized problem right out of the box (new Wii). There is an article at destructoid about that issue here.

Also, Nintendo (US and Canada) is offering a free repair service for these problems (shipping is free as well, they send a pre-paid Purolator/Fed/Ex Box). Check it out here if you're having problems.

My question is, since the repair service is free and the problem with SSBB has absolutely nothing to do with my modchip but likely has more to do with a hardware problem (they can test the system to make sure it actually works):

Has anyone here ever sent in a modded Wii before? If I remove the WiiKey before shipping it, will there be a problem?

I'm going to send it regardless, because frankly, I'm pissed off that my launch Wii can't even read a DL disc. Whether I chose to chip my system is irrelevant; it's defective hardware and it's Nintendo's problem and they should fix it. In fact, I think their story about 'smoke and dust' is actually BS and there's another issue at hand they don't want the public to know about.

Case in point: I know a couple people that smoke like chimneys, live in a pig-sty, have two cats and a dog, and have had their Wii for over a year yet Brawl zips along like a well-oiled machine. Hell, the screened air-intake on the one machine was so caked with dirt and dust that I'm surprised it turned on.

Anyways, I'm getting away from the point. If I send in the Wii, what's the worst that can happen if they suspect it's been modded? Anyone went through the process at all before? Let me know guys, thanks.

DecoyOcto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst that could happen if you send it with a modchip is they'll remove it. If anything else you could always say you bought the system used.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DecoyOcto said:
The worst that could happen if you send it with a modchip is they'll remove it. If anything else you could always say you bought the system used.

Why, did you do the same? I was just wondering if they could confiscate my Wii or something (don't think they can legally) or play some other games because it's modded. They're likely to either send me a new Wii or replace the internal drive and replace it with a D2C or whatever, making the WiiKey useless anyways.

Any more opinions? Remove chip or leave in? The chip install was meticulously done, they won't be able to tell the Wii was modded unless they examine it with that in mind.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heran Bago said:
Maybe it's because of teh WiiKey that your Wii can't read brawl.

Why not remove the mod chip? That would be much easier.

Nah bro, it's not the Wiikey, I have disabled it when I got the original yesterday and brawl doesn't even spin up, yet the other 7 original wii games I have all work flawlessly. The only version I've been able to run is the single-layer version...My drive just can't read dual layer media of any kind. *cries*

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
stok3d said:
DecoyOcto said:

Why, did you do the same? I was just wondering if they could confiscate my Wii or something (don't think they can legally) or play some other games because it's modded. They're likely to either send me a new Wii or replace the internal drive and replace it with a D2C or whatever, making the WiiKey useless anyways.

Any more opinions? Remove chip or leave in? The chip install was meticulously done, they won't be able to tell the Wii was modded unless they examine it with that in mind.

And they will.

Mind you...I do not think they can legally even take out the modchip even if they saw it there. They will be then damaging YOUR property without your permission. Unless they will call that system repair...

Hey stock3d, someone had the EXACT same problem as you (I helped him along the way)....he basically inserted and took out the disc many times and it got working...permanently.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
You could always just burn your own copy.

yeah I have, my system will not read dual layer media..I guess I didn't want to believe it but after spending hours farking with it and wasting DL media, the last straw was actually buying a 50$ coaster, disabling my wiikey and discovering that my wii is a piece of crap
mad.gif

Deaths_Advocate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by "Disabled" im assuming you have a switch installed on the ground wire to stop it from turning on? Did you test your console using a burnt copy of SSBB Jap DVD-9 version to see if the issue was still happening?
Anyway, i would completely remove the chip before sending it to them. You are asking for trouble sending them a modded wii (im not familiar with Canadian law so i cant say how much trouble you might be in).

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Renegade_R said:
dude...plug the Wiikey back in, get the Wii DVD Player going and get a dry laser cleaner

lol dude, I have done that too..although it's probably not the greatest lens cleaner there is. i have even sprayed the shit out of it with a can of air, those cans get hella cold

the thing that is strange is that with the wiikey disabled, zelda spins up, super paper mario spins up, they all spin up and run fine except for brawl, it just sits in the drive and doesn't spin at all (although it did spin briefly when the wiikey was enabled)

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Strange how this disc wouldn't simply spin up. You know what you could do, try the Wii DVD Player with a Dual Layer movie and see what happens - I think Tomorrow Never Dies is one of them etc.

Edit: Or you could do what beanman25 did and just insert the disc hundreds of times until it got running.

Edit 2: If you're gonna send it to Nintendo, you should probably take the Wiikey out because they could give you back a Wii with a D2C on it.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Deaths_Advocate said:
by "Disabled" im assuming you have a switch installed on the ground wire to stop it from turning on? Did you test your console using a burnt copy of SSBB Jap DVD-9 version to see if the issue was still happening?
Anyway, i would completely remove the chip before sending it to them. You are asking for trouble sending them a modded wii (im not familiar with Canadian law so i cant say how much trouble you might be in).

yes, and yes. i had both JAP versions of brawl and the DL never did work, only the single. swap trick didn't work either, also tried 4 diff typed of DL media (fujifilm, memorex-singapore, verbatim, and some no-name brand)

Posts merged

QUOTE(Renegade_R @ Mar 10 2008, 05:45 AM) Strange how this disc wouldn't simply spin up. You know what you could do, try the Wii DVD Player with a Dual Layer movie and see what happens - I think Tomorrow Never Dies is one of them etc.

Edit: Or you could do what beanman25 did and just insert the disc hundreds of times until it got running.

yeah i will give that a try

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Strange how this disc wouldn't simply spin up. You know what you could do, try the Wii DVD Player with a Dual Layer movie and see what happens - I think Tomorrow Never Dies is one of them etc.

i just tried a dual layer movie (ice age 2) and most of the VOB's wouldn't even play...and the 2 or 3 I got to play were all garbled and skippy, it looked like a satellite feed looks in bad weather...

so is it more likely the lens is just dirty or the laser itself is the problem? anyone?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since you are obviously comfortable with taking apart your Wii and modding it, and then modding your mod with a switch, why not go ahead and tweak the laser pot. It can't be a dirty lens if you have cleaned it like you stated.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well when I had to get my Wii replaced, I just removed my modchip (like just cut the wires at the Wii). I didn't use any desoldering braid, and you could well see that the pads were used, but they didn't tell me anything and I got my Wii all fixed up.

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you cut most of the videos out of the game with trucha and make it able to fit on a single-layer DVD?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stok3d said:
Nintendo is offering the same kind of service for problematic Wii's (that can't play SSBB) that they did in Japan. Nintendo claims the problem is due to dust and smoke, but there are reports of people having the SSBB disc-not-recognized problem right out of the box (new Wii). There is an article at destructoid about that issue here.

Also, Nintendo (US and Canada) is offering a free repair service for these problems (shipping is free as well, they send a pre-paid Purolator/Fed/Ex Box). Check it out here if you're having problems.

My question is, since the repair service is free and the problem with SSBB has absolutely nothing to do with my modchip but likely has more to do with a hardware problem (they can test the system to make sure it actually works):

Has anyone here ever sent in a modded Wii before? If I remove the WiiKey before shipping it, will there be a problem?

I'm going to send it regardless, because frankly, I'm pissed off that my launch Wii can't even read a DL disc. Whether I chose to chip my system is irrelevant; it's defective hardware and it's Nintendo's problem and they should fix it. In fact, I think their story about 'smoke and dust' is actually BS and there's another issue at hand they don't want the public to know about.

Case in point: I know a couple people that smoke like chimneys, live in a pig-sty, have two cats and a dog, and have had their Wii for over a year yet Brawl zips along like a well-oiled machine. Hell, the screened air-intake on the one machine was so caked with dirt and dust that I'm surprised it turned on.

Anyways, I'm getting away from the point. If I send in the Wii, what's the worst that can happen if they suspect it's been modded? Anyone went through the process at all before? Let me know guys, thanks.
tl;dr version: i pirate games now i expect nintendo to repair my console for free even though i already stole so much money from them

If you send it in, and they suspect its been tampered with/warranty seals are broken, they'll send your Wii back to you unrepaired, and make you pay for shipping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: