Nintendo forced to limit Switch production due to Apple

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by lcie nimbus, Jun 5, 2017.

1. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    But we are talking about millions of them now. Apple can buy more than Nintendo and have less risk of not selling all of them why Nintendo is on the short end of the stick. Nintendo did say they can outbid Apple but then they will have to sale Switch at loss, and no capitalist want to sell their product at loss, that is like the ultimate sacrifice for them.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Strange...I'm sure this was mentioned before a couple weeks ago (with a different source), but I can't find the thread again. :unsure:

In any case: the problem isn't so much in storage capacity, contracts or (IIRC) the production process, but in the raw material toshiba used to make NANDS. In other words: they simply cannot produce enough of the material requested by their clients. Blaming apple or samsung (who were mentioned in that other article) isn't helping. If a baker only has one bread, it's not the fault of the customer in front of you that you can't get one. And if the baker is dependent on a factory that delivers i

Yeah, it's pretty easy if you boil it down to the essence, right? Just like poverty...why beat around the bush when you can solve it with a simple one-step program:

1. they should just get more money

:tpi:
    Not entirely: capitalists just want to make a profit in the end. "their product" isn't just the switch but the games as well. It's mostly the latter that gets them revenue, but their clients obviously consist only of people with a console. Meaning: they can sell it at a loss and make up for it in games (that is assuming people buy enough games for it). However, it's just not nintendo's way of doing things. My guess would be that they outbid apple AND sell their console with a profit. This means that they increase the price a bit. Which isn't so hard to do. All they have to do is slap a different color on the cover, ship it with an extra game (Mario Oddyssey or mario kart comes to mind) and voila: people will pay more for their console.

Qtis and Procyon like this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Apple still using LCD?
    HAHAHAH

Oh wow.

4. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    Yikes, looks like there will be a lot more factory suicides this year, that shit always pipes up when a crazy new gadget comes out and they work the employees to death.

5. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
  6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Former Staff
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    They're limited by fab capacity, they're already pumping out as much NAND as they can and building a new foundry costs usually from 1 BILLION dollars to 4. And they won't build a new fab only because of a temporary shortage.
    [​IMG]

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Poor little Nintendo unable to handle their own supply? How amusing. Hopefully Toshiba does not end up one of those companies that apple forces to grow and ultimately pay the price for.

That said 32 gigs is what they have onboard? Does that mean Apple are going to continue taking the piss with storage sizes?

8. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

GBAtemp Patron
    dpad_5678 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Bone App The Teeth

lcie nimbus likes this.
  9. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Bun at teat

10. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Sounds like "Nintendo limited Switch production because they are too cheap to outbid Apple" to me.

Also, Toshiba doesn't have the monopoly on NAND chips.

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    just when you thought you couldn't hate apple even more.

lcie nimbus likes this.
  12. EthanAddict

EthanAddict An investment to nothingness

Nov 12, 2016
    Antarctica
    So, Rotten Apple wants parts to make iDumb 8 and limits Switch porduction? This shit is getting hot, praise Nintendo.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  13. Apple are the worst,

Sent by my iPhone.

14. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    They have the lowest failure rate. Also nintendo had signed a ridiculously long contract for parts when the wii was selling like crack

15. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Wat?

16. Stephano

Stephano pessimism = Realism

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nowhere
    I wonder if this is all just a plan made by apple to screw Nintendo.
    Maybe they want Nintendo to fail so they will make more smartphone apps. :creep:
    Screw you apple.

lcie nimbus likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    I wonder if the next Nintendo smartphone app will be android exclusive for a while next time^_^

tbh when apple over charges so much for their budget hardware it's no surprise they are willing to price everyone else out of the market, I mean even if they pay 5x the market value for the chips they are still making obscene amounts of money XD

I mean this is a company that prides itself of being a greedy scalper, so much so that they even caused a tree shortage http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/apple-buying-lots-of-trees-for-spaceship-campus.html

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 5, 2017
    Bladexdsl likes this.
  18. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    This is where you look for another supplier and hope for the best they're not supplying you with crappy NANDs (or any parts) in this instance. It's not surprising at all that Apple won this bid. They have too many products and a lot of people are still buying Apple products compared to Nintendo which in this case they're only bidding for the Switch. Plus, Nintendo's market is only the gamers.

19. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    The Nintendo Switch uses an LCD display. So if Apple is using the "liquid crystal displays" used in the Nintendo Switch, then it's easy to assume that Apple will continue to use LCD technology.

20. Stephano

Stephano pessimism = Realism

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nowhere
    That would be savage