Nintendo fiscal results reveal that Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold over 22 million units

9olf30z.png

The latest fiscal report data is in for Nintendo, giving insight into how the company performed over the past financial quarter. While sales dramatically rose over the worldwide lockdown period, one game in particular shifted far more copies than the rest. Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which released in the fourth quarter of the previous fiscal year added 10.63 million units to its sales, bringing the total to 22.40 million. These new numbers put the latest Animal Crossing title ahead of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Sword and Shield, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, each of which sold just under 20 million units. Currently, the most popular game on the Nintendo Switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which released during the system's launch window, and sits at 26.74 million units sold. By comparison, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe saw 1.97 million sales during the same quarter, meaning if Animal Crossing: New Horizons keeps up its momentum, it just might become the highest-selling game on the console.

Additionally, Nintendo also released two other games recently: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, which sold 1.32 million and 1.03 million units, respectively. Finally, Ring Fit Adventure, which saw shortages in multiple regions due to excessive demand currently sits at 4.0 million sales.

:arrow: Source

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yes, I do love chore simulator. It quite addictive though and it take me awhile to quit it so I can play other game.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can't help but feel like the situation with COVID has something to do with this. Because Animal Crossing is in no way better than Zelda BotW but it is a similarly long game, if not longer, and that counts for something.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't help but feel like the situation with COVID has something to do with this. Because Animal Crossing is in no way better than Zelda BotW but it is a similarly long game, if not longer, and that counts for something.
It's also a matter of accessibility. BotW isn't a particularly "hardcore" game per se, but it does require some twitch-reaction and timing skills which can take the younger crowd a year or two to develop. All the most popular/financially successful games are casual-oriented and allow the player to progress at any pace. That creates appeal for the very young and very old, two groups which aren't usually the target audience for open-world or action games.

dangopig

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
The timing has a lot to do with it too - AC is a popular franchise but if its release date hadn't coincided with lockdown, it would have nowhere near this many sales.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that's 1.3 billion dollars, assuming each copy new sold for $60USD or equivalent.
Physical copies are sold at wholesale prices (not sure what the exact margins are but they aren't that great on retail software sales), but when you factor in higher prices in different regions, and the very little overhead when selling digitally, I'd say they probably saw a good $1b in sales.

D

Deleted User

maybe that is the reason..i do also spend lot of time playing new leaf and when started to play new horizons it was amazing a lot of new features bud suddenly at one point i just quickly stopped.. i just got bored for some reason
same! just stopped one day in may and never picked it back up for like 3 months

but like a week ago i started again

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like Minecraft, but for normies.
You choose your land, build a dream home, trade with villagers, dig up riches, design your own pixel art, gather and collect raw crafting materials, learn crafting recipes, craft things, run from spiders, shoot projectiles, travel abroad in search of other villagers, go fishing, shape the landscape, and design your email and clothes.

Minecraft... For normies.
Minecraft is waaaaaaaay more of a normie game than AC lol. People always compare AC to Minecraft, Harvest Moon, The Sims, but it's it's its own style of game. Up until now, the series has always been just barely a step above a niche title in the West. Hell, the first iteration of the game never even made it here.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft is waaaaaaaay more of a normie game than AC lol. People always compare AC to Minecraft, Harvest Moon, The Sims, but it's it's its own style of game. Up until now, the series has always been just barely a step above a niche title in the West. Hell, the first iteration of the game never even made it here.
It actually did, it was just ported in English to the GameCube in It's the same exact game as Animal Forest. It's only 26MB in size, witch just reaks of N64 ROM.

Last edited by Jayro,

GodFrame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they don't rob from their future sales. When things start getting better with the pandemic, they're going to have to start pushing a new console out, so that the profits don't take a dramatic dip, considering that plenty people grabbed a Switch now during lock-down. People that perhaps were going to buy it later on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?