Nintendo fiscal results reveal that Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold over 22 million units

9olf30z.png

The latest fiscal report data is in for Nintendo, giving insight into how the company performed over the past financial quarter. While sales dramatically rose over the worldwide lockdown period, one game in particular shifted far more copies than the rest. Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which released in the fourth quarter of the previous fiscal year added 10.63 million units to its sales, bringing the total to 22.40 million. These new numbers put the latest Animal Crossing title ahead of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Sword and Shield, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, each of which sold just under 20 million units. Currently, the most popular game on the Nintendo Switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which released during the system's launch window, and sits at 26.74 million units sold. By comparison, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe saw 1.97 million sales during the same quarter, meaning if Animal Crossing: New Horizons keeps up its momentum, it just might become the highest-selling game on the console.

Additionally, Nintendo also released two other games recently: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, which sold 1.32 million and 1.03 million units, respectively. Finally, Ring Fit Adventure, which saw shortages in multiple regions due to excessive demand currently sits at 4.0 million sales.

:arrow: Source

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a lot for a game about doing random shit in a village...or at least, that was always my impression of the things you do in Animal Crossing.

Do these games have a main quest line or anything, or is it literally Nintendo's Harvest Moon/Starkey Valley/one-person-manages-a-large-area type game?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The one I most played was the DS one because it came with my DS, a total of two and a half years of playing at least a few hours every day.

However I hated the Wii version.

And the one who is still my favourite is the Gamecube one:

Besides what the Video says, the Nes games do add extra life to the game.

I also miss the Basement. And the fact the other players houses were next to yours.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's a lot for a game about doing random shit in a village...or at least, that was always my impression of the things you do in Animal Crossing.

Do these games have a main quest line or anything, or is it literally Nintendo's Harvest Moon/Starkey Valley/one-person-manages-a-large-area type game?
It's more like Minecraft, but for normies.
You choose your land, build a dream home, trade with villagers, dig up riches, design your own pixel art, gather and collect raw crafting materials, learn crafting recipes, craft things, run from spiders, shoot projectiles, travel abroad in search of other villagers, go fishing, shape the landscape, and design your email and clothes.

Minecraft... For normies.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Interestingly enough, their stock dropped about 4% today. Which isn't very much, but it shows that their fiscal data report didn't really have a major impact on the company.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Interestingly enough, their stock dropped about 4% today. Which isn't very much, but it shows that their fiscal data report didn't really have a major impact on the company.

They might have a problem with hardware factories due to the Pandemic...

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

It's neither - the game is more like a social simulator, with less focus on farming/managing/etc. and more focus on roleplaying as a cheerful villager in an ever-changing world around you. A virtual dollhouse (doll town/island?) with sandbox elements, really. It's more fun that it sounds though =)

Reactions: Victorzer and Sono

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like Minecraft, but for normies.
You choose your land, build a dream home, trade with villagers, dig up riches, design your own pixel art, gather and collect raw crafting materials, learn crafting recipes, craft things, run from spiders, shoot projectiles, travel abroad in search of other villagers, go fishing, shape the landscape, and design your email and clothes.

Minecraft... For normies.
Minecraft is minecraft for normies.
Animal Crossing has almost nothing in common with minecraft, except maybe the terraforming and even that is not "building".

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's neither - the game is more like a social simulator, with less focus on farming/managing/etc. and more focus on roleplaying as a cheerful villager in an ever-changing world around you. A virtual dollhouse (doll town/island?) with sandbox elements, really. It's more fun that it sounds though =)

I hate that since from the 3DS on you can pay cash to keep the villagers you want by buying the right "toys".

I still have 3 Gamecube memory cards... I could make 3 towns in the Gamecube game.... mmm.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
They might have a problem with hardware factories due to the Pandemic...
Oh for sure. Though I believe their stock price is at its all time high (or at least within a few dollars of its all time high). Nintendo's certainly not struggling. And a 4% fluctuation in one day is normal for a high trading company like this. Good news, all in all.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I hate that since from the 3DS on you can pay cash to keep the villagers you want by buying the right "toys".
AFAIK, pre-3DS titles didn't let you choose villagers at all, Amiibo or otherwise - now you can actually either invite cool ones through campsite/Miles island or adopt someone who's leaving another player's town (and there are Discord communities just for that). If anything, it's now easier than ever to obtain villagers you want.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played a AC game before but I would imagine it would be enjoyable playing with other people than playing by yourself. Good for Nintendo selling 22 million copies it just shows you despite of piracy the demand is still there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...