Nintendo Finally Starts a Budget Range In Japan

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Jan 21, 2010.

Jan 21, 2010
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Sourcey

At the moment its Japan only but Nintendo have in the past have re-released games under a budget label called "Players Choice", something they have done from the Super Nintendo up to the Gamecube. Could the discontinuation of recent titles in the US mean that they could be repackaged for budget release?

Over here a lot of 3rd party titles have already been reduced in price, the likes if Madworld, House of the Dead: Overkill & No More Heroes can be found in supermarkets for around £8 to £12 but it would be nice to see a more official label that promotes the games that didn't do that well to give them another chance.

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Good. It is about time that the budget re-releases come back for the wii.

3. kicknhorse

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That does sound quite exciting, and I really want to see which games make the cut.

Of-topic - I do not suppose anyone knows of somewhere where one can acquire older games (new) in uk pal? I realise the idea of buying games might be quite contraversal here, but I do like to buy quite a few games as well as download more.

Theres a few specific ones I would really love to have.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    That's always nice. I was already wondering why they never did such a thing on Wii. It's also nice that only the best titles (according to users) are considered, not the best selling ones.

5. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    I hope that this will make some good, but quite unpopulair, games more populair.

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    go into the nearest city center and find a game shop that isn't Game or Gamestation.

7. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    In most towns a place like that doesn't exist and when they do the games are pricey.

Best bet is online really, I never use shops nowadays simply because its so much cheaper and more convenient.

8. kicknhorse

United Kingdom
    Hahaha, yes I guess you are right. They just seem hard to come by now which is such a shame. Theres on here where I live, but the guy who owns it just rips people off...

The problem is, I have even been having some trouble finding some of these games online (DS ones).

9. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Have you tried Playasia? I'e got hold of a lot of games I can't find over here (some due to not being released here) and I've managed to get them from there for a lot cheaper then I would here even with postage.

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    CEX is usually pretty good for old-ish games (although I don't think they have much pre last generation). You're right though, some of the small game shops rip people off more than GAME does.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Took 'em long enough. I mean, the PS3 already has a "budget" line of some of their best games which they sell for $20, and the production costs of PS3 games is much higher than Wii games (by production I mean the physical product, since Bluray is pricier).

Mario Kart Wii and SMG or nothing.

12. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    No way Mario Kart Wii will be on it, it still shifts loads each week.

I think it will be best if they focused on titles that didn't do so well.

13. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Most poor sellers already got a giant price nosedive. I bought MadWorld shortly after launch for $50, and within a month or two I saw it for atleast $30, maybe even $20. Brand new. Not to mention some games prices have really gone down (I've seen Best Buy sell a No More Heroes and Redsteel double pack for like $30).

But I do agree with the whole budget range for low-selling titles, mainly hardcore titles. Although odds are they'll follow a similar trend to other hardcore games and go down to the $20-$30 price range.

14. ibis_87

Member ibis_87 GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Yeah, really interesting. Wonder if this will cover Europe and Russia. Nintendo games are AMAZINGLY pricy here, almost 70 bucks each. If they are officially re-released as budget titles, they might be somewhat $50 here, so I'll be getting a bunch of nicely-looking licensed games. Loove it!

15. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    It's about time Nintendo stopped being so damn greedy with their pricing.
    I still find it stupid to pay $60.00 for Mario Tennis for the Wii that was the Game Cube version with Wii Controls.
    The Mario Tennis with new Wii Play controls should be $30.00 not $59.99!

16. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Where the hell do you pay $60 for Mario Tennis in the US? I mean, there's no Wii game above $50 (that I know of) that's above $50 (since Rock Band games are like $100+ with the full set, WSR is $60 if you decide to go with the double WM+ double pack, Wii Fit is like $60+ or something, and Tony Hawk Ride is $100+).

The game is $30, bro, as is every other New Play Control title.

Gamestop's listing

17. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I thought the NPC games were budget ones anyway?

EDIT: Yeah what guildy said.

18. kicknhorse

United Kingdom
    Thank you Hadrian, I have had a look on play-asia (and have brought stuff from there before) - unfortunately they are mostly Japanese or American copies - I mean I love the japanese ones anyway! The first thing I brought from play-asia was Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA [​IMG]

And @Law - thank you also, I am having a look now.

19. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    thts very interesting actually but here, things are pricey due to lack of games... most ppl buy pirated games for around 5-10$ but original games (like GT4 as old as it is for the PS2) sells for 40$... its rare to get anything "original" here for a cheap price