Nintendo files lawsuit against RCM Loader seller, claims piracy is a worsening international problem

FCt3dNr.png

Nintendo isn't done trying to take legal action against those trying to let users hack their Nintendo Switch consoles. They've filed yet another lawsuit recently against defendant Le Hoang Minh, who has been accused of selling devices that allow for the "circumvention of a technological protection measure that controls access to a copyrighted work and trafficking in devices intended to circumvent technological protection measures". Minh has, according to the legal documents, previously sold "jailbreak device" RCM Loader through Amazon, to which Nintendo issued a DMCA notice. The seller then filed a counter claim against Nintendo, and continued selling the device. Now, Nintendo is looking to sue for damages--a whopping maximum of $2,500 per violation--and to prevent Minh from being able to sell such products ever again.

Nintendo's lawyers claim that piracy has become a "serious, worsening international problem", to which the company has focused on taking action against, as seen in the numerous lawsuits and legal battles we've seen crop up in the past year. In May, Nintendo went after Tom Dilts Jr., owner of Uberchips, who was a reseller of SX OS and other Team Xecuter products. Team Xecuter themselves also ran into legal issues, with the FBI arresting two of their members last month.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still got some of the thread to read but curious here.

Most previous times I saw Nintendo act it was when someone sold a chip/dongle/whatever AND a SD card/USB drive full of pirated goodness.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Worsening international problem how? Nintendo doesn't even have a customer support for anywhere that doesn't have its office. I couldn't even refund my accidental transaction!

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, you're the reason people are pirating because your shit is way too expensive.
€349 only for the Switch and the games are absurdly expensive, €60 and I saw there are a shit ton of paid dlc's. And you're way too paranoid you even sued a Super Mario marathon! You simply sue anything and everyone!

I'm so glad I didn't buy the Switch as me and my cousin wanted to buy one and each of us will pay half. But it seems Nintendo doesn't want our money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's like saying that car manufacturers are to blame for car thefts because cars are too expensive.
"If cars didn't cost so much....people wouldn't have to steal them!"

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But seriously, This is dumb. Nintendo is really just being unreasonable here. This only allows for modding the console. (common nintendo, is allowing for homebrew or themes REALLY illegal?) I get it for sx cause they had a bank on piracy. At this point someone might sue nintendo.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nintendo, you're the reason people are pirating because your shit is way too expensive.
I think this is a bit ignorant. Because people mostly pirate because they're too young to be able to afford the game, are a parent who is a cheapskate or just don't wanna buy the games anyway. Then is the lesser "Try before buy" people. It doesn't have to do that the game is expensive or not. Hell, PS5 games will be 70$ right? It's a fucking plastic disc!

If you could pirate properly on the PS4 and Xbox One, people would do it as well. Especially people from poorer countries where a game could cost up to a months' salary.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IDIOT SELLER PROMOTING PIRACY RIGHT ON THE PRODUCT PAGE, COUNTER CLAIMED WHEN CONFRONTED.

Nintendo never got out of their turf zone. Temp users please use a little bit more of your reading comprehension instead of crying outrage.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can literally stop Nintendo dead in their tracks by changing how these devices are sold. What's an "RCM Loader?"

Stop bundling payloads, especially SX OS, as SX OS has keys bundled that are Nintendo's property. Heck, we can even stop bundling Fusée Gelée as long as we have easy-to-follow guides for setting it up.

Then, call it what it is. An Adafruit Trinket with a USB-C plug and lithium-ion battery.

Now how the hell is Nintendo going to file a lawsuit against that?

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

luigirockz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo just trying to scare sellers to stop selling these devices by picking on one with a huge fine. Probably settle out of court

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can literally stop Nintendo dead in their tracks by changing how these devices are sold. What's an "RCM Loader?"

Stop bundling payloads, especially SX OS, as SX OS has keys bundled that are Nintendo's property. Heck, we can even stop bundling Fusée Gelée as long as we have easy-to-follow guides for setting it up.

Then, call it what it is. An Adafruit Trinket with a USB-C plug and lithium-ion battery.

Now how the hell is Nintendo going to file a lawsuit against that?
They won't. Only when it's apparent piracy was in any way blatantly promoted that they move. It's always been like that.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe they should sue Nvidia for Switch piracy being a thing.
Never going to happen. Even if they did somehow have some kind of case, which they dont, if Nvidia stopped supplying the Tegra then the switch as a product is dead. They also only target the little guys and Nvidia is way bigger than Nintendo is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended