lecture.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I estimate that I lost $0 since I wised-up and bought flash carts.

nyanya.gif
on Nintendo.

Regardless of the nearly $1 billion the "say" they lost to piracy, they are still making money hand-over-fist, so I don't want to hear it.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In Australia, we pay on average $70AU (around $64US) for each DS game (crappy DS games are $50-$60). Now that some Australians are realising more and more the reality of flash carts, people are now flocking to download these games. Many many Aussies (including me) think it's outrageous that we have to pay so much more than Americans and people from other parts of the world. Our last hope of getting cheap games online was stopped when Steam raised the prices of its games
frown.gif

In short, Nintendo's still makin' da money, so what've they got to complain about? Make games cheap and we'll willingly hand you over our cash.

r1cky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In Australia, we pay up to $70AU (around $64US) for each DS game. Now that some Australians are realising more and more the reality of flash carts, people are now flocking to download these games. Many many Aussies (including me) think it's outrageous that we have to pay so much more than Americans and people from other parts of the world. Our last hope of getting cheap games online was stopped when Steam raised the prices of its games
frown.gif

In short, Nintendo's still makin' da money, so what've they got to complain about? Make games cheap and we'll willingly hand you over our cash.

Seconded. Honestly Nintendo. Get your act together.

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo should worry more about releasing games in PAL territories more quickly instead of making up lame, mildly threatening propaganda, sorry but I don't feel like waiting 9 months after a game has been released in the US, then having to pay £30 for it.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo should worry more about releasing games in PAL territories more quickly instead of making up lame, mildly threatening propaganda, sorry but I don't feel like waiting 9 months after a game has been released in the US, then having to pay £30 for it.

Same applies here too. Except we get it later than you. Unfortunately for England, your game prices are even higher than ours but not by a large margin (well last time I checked was 3 years ago... in a GAME store)

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In Australia, we pay on average $70AU (around $64US) for each DS game (crappy DS games are $50-$60). Now that some Australians are realising more and more the reality of flash carts, people are now flocking to download these games. Many many Aussies (including me) think it's outrageous that we have to pay so much more than Americans and people from other parts of the world. Our last hope of getting cheap games online was stopped when Steam raised the prices of its games
frown.gif

Not to mention the fact that we get royally shafted when it comes to release dates.

EXAMPLES:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin: US: 21/1 UK: 25/1 AUS: 23/2
That's practically a one month difference.

Then you have the third Phoenix Wright game, which has been out in America for about 6 months with the fourth one coming very soon, yet Australia doesn't have the third yet.

And we do get shafted on prices as well.

Wake up, Nintendo of Australia. Wake. The. F***. Up. This is why people are turning to flashcarts.

NekoDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Same applies here too. Except we get it later than you. Unfortunately for England, your game prices are even higher than ours but not by a large margin (well last time I checked was 3 years ago... in a GAME store)

The pricing is just stupid really, it was the same with GBA titles, Sonic Advance for £35? In every shop I went into, the price was exactly that for 3 whole years.

Again sorry Nintendo but I'm not spending £30 on a DS game that will last me 6 - 10 hours when I can walk out a shop with 6 PS2/Xbox games for £30.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not to mention the fact that we get royally shafted when it comes to release dates.

EXAMPLES:
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin: US: 21/1  UK: 25/1  AUS: 23/2
That's practically a one month difference.

Then you have the third Phoenix Wright game, which has been out in America for about 6 months with the fourth one coming very soon, yet Australia doesn't have the third yet.

And we do get shafted on prices as well.

Wake up, Nintendo of Australia. Wake. The. F***. Up. This is why people are turning to flashcarts.

lol I downloaded Days of Ruin the day the rom came out and I'm laughing at all the noobs in my school who still don't have an R4. All my friends have an R4. We're all the smart people too
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I remember waiting eagerly for the release of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror on the GBA only to find out it'd never come to Australia... had to get it from Hong Kong instead :\

This piracy stuff is more rampant on PC though. The reason PC games are WAAAY cheaper in Hong Kong is to stop people from pirating the game (one example being Orange Box, which was $250HK whereas it was $100AU in Australia. Steam was stupid and put region coding on Orange Box so Australian users couldn't register the game onto their accounts back in Australia. Luckily I registered it back in Hong Kong). In Hong Kong with its ridiculously cheap internet with high speeds (comparing to Australia here 'cos our net's a hole), everyone pretty much pirates everything. EVERY person in Hong Kong had an R4. EVERYONE! I did NOT see ONE single person in Hong Kong with an official game card (and I saw HUNDREDS of DS's in Hong Kong)...

Well all I can say is that Nintendo's gotta rethink its method of selling, the way it discriminates other countries and definitely the pricing of it all.

Down with greedy corporations!
mad.gif
(unless they repent and give out complimentary free games and really really really cheap games)

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think they're taking into consideration that the people who pirated those games wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I'm speaking mainly about those in China, South America, Korea, etc.
exactly what i was about to respond with.

they didn't exactly "lose" this money, rather they were prevented from "gaining it".

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have to agree, Australia gets shafted when it comes to Nintendo related stuff.

*shitty release dates
*Overpriced games
*No Nintendo benefits like what the Nintendo Euro stars system.
*Game RRP RARELY drop.

We pretty much get the shit end of the stick every time (with the odd early release...very odd).
And the thing is i gladly pay for games if they were priced similar to US prices, and released within a week of the other regions.

Kingwad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo can't do much with DS now. Adding more protection might cause compatibility issues.

At least GBA had games with things like the tilt sensor, solar sensor, card scanner, etc that don't function exactly as intended in most flash carts since they lack their custom hardware.

I don't think any flash cart ever had eReader card scanning support!
wink.gif

They might be able to add something into new carts that makes it impossible to dump or something?

Nintendo did more to prevent piracy on the DS than their previous handhelds. They required the game to be signed with a public key. The entire cart is encrypted. The biggest problem is that that the DS firmware doesn't get udates. The current dumping methods use the DS firmware's own decryption function to dump. To come out with a new decryption method, or new signing keys, may cause incompatibility problems with the old DSs, or be useless because the patch would have to come with a cart, and the patch would have to be signed with the old keys... but even firmware updates haven't stopped the PSP piracy.

saulin

Trophies
XP
Country
Lost all that money eh?

Mmm wasn't the DS just sold out recently once again last month? Also wasn't the Wii sold out as well for a while or is it still sold out?

Come on! Not every single person that bought the consoles pirate the games. The DS and Wii are extremely popular and the fact that they sold out means that lots of people buy the games too since the consoles need games.

If anything I think Nintendo is making more money than Microsoft or Sony in consoles and games.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo take ages to release some of the games in Europe. Then wonder why people download. I can name maybe 20 games I would have actually bought on the DS. On the wii probably 2 games.

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Late releases and disagreements with company ethics do not justify piracy. Why do people insist on trying to sugarcoat their illegal activities?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Late releases and disagreements with company ethics do not justify piracy. Why do people insist on trying to sugarcoat their illegal activities?
We're not... I pirate games, there's no doubt about that. The reason I do it is because I disagree with company ethics.

P

pasc

Well, Nintendo may still make money but the poor 3rd and 2nd party developer are the real dissed ones, they have no way to make money when we all pirate their games, just think of Dementium the ward...

JamieA119

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of Nintendo DS games, as with the gamecube, are hard to find. They're even hard to find on the internet.

When you do find one though, they're usually ~£30 PRE-OWNED.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think they're taking into consideration that the people who pirated those games wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I'm speaking mainly about those in China, South America, Korea, etc.

they never never seem to realize that a game not pirated =/= a game sold.

when are they gonna attack used game sales? i own a ton of games but only like 5 of them i bought in a retail store. the rest i got used locally. don't they lose more money that way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol