Nintendo estimates it lost $975m worldwide in 2007

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Flooded, Feb 17, 2008.

Feb 17, 2008
  1. Flooded
    OP

Banned Flooded Banned

United States
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/nintend...-due-to-piracy/

2. Tweaked

Member Tweaked GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    THEY WERNT TO WORRIED ABOUT LAWS WHEN PEARL HARBOUR WENT DOWN

in all seriousness, nintendo, i love you, but seriously, growwww up, The day im an asshole because i pirate so i can help my uncle whos raising his niece cuz his daughter is a rockhead. When that makes me a bad person who deserves to be prosecuted, hit me up.

I PLEAD THA FIFTH

3. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    No offense, but saying you pirate because your Uncle's niece is a rockhead is not the best excuse lol.

4. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Heh ... I'm getting sick of the term 'lost sales'. In 95% of all the cases, those who pirated some games wouldn't buy them at all, if they had to pay for them.

5. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Nintendo's reports of losses to piracy aren't news, they're propaganda. [​IMG]

Seriously, they are responding as any successful corporation would respond, and that is with a hand of greed. They still get to write all those losses off, as well as shower in the tsunami of wealth the company has taken in since the DS took off. Their stock has went up in insane ways.

I love the creative arm of Nintendo, but the company is, without any doubt whatsoever, one of the most ruthless businesses alive today.

6. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Once again, these numbers come from the following:

1) Pick a random number of how many games have been downloaded.
    2) Assume that every game downloaded would have been bought.
    3) Assume that said games would all be boughten at full price.

7. Tweaked

Member Tweaked GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    and being a soiled brat braught upp in good home and shielded makes you ignorant as to how things really operate, but hey.

If your cool with depriving a 6 year old girl of her mother, and videogames (the only thing that can really spark her intrest, besides family) then go ahead, throw the book at me.

Anyways, it would be nice to have been braught up in a family where. A. dad doesnt smoke rock and rob banks, B. Grandpa didint do 45 for 3 murders, my cousin (daughters mom) has kids to just gain wellfare checks. But i was, so i advise you to keep your mouth shut when your deciding what is a good reason, and what isnt, k?

wish i was born with a silver spoon too

And sorry, maybe i shoulda said im only 19 and cant really afford to support anyone but myself, Sorry if that woulda avoided this argument

8. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You can't blame them for doing something, every company has the right to protect it's intellectual property. But the problem would be more effectively and significantly reduced if they actually listened to you lot for once and tackled the problems that drive people to piracy in the first place:

* Pricing
    * Shovelware (shovelwarez?)
    * International Release Dates
    * Demos / try-before-you-buy schemes that don't require extra hardware
    * Release something that isn't crap on the Wii

You want to do something Nintendo; Fix it. Your consumer base do not trust your system's games anymore. Even big-name franchises are often tainted by a shoddily done cash-cow title. The world is in a truely sorry state when parents can't even trust Disney to release something worthwhile. Stop publishing crap, or if you just can't live without the license fees then give it a price tag reflective of its quality.

9. fermio100

Newcomer fermio100 Advanced Member

Brazil
    In my country we have an expression that goes more os less like "Don't count with the egg in the hen's ass". Nintendo is counting with would be sales, but WII gotta see sony's results, you can't unlock PS3, so they don't sell consoles and therefore, they sell less games. IMHO

10. Son of Science

Member Son of Science GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    [​IMG] Pobre pobre Nintendo [​IMG]

That's poor poor Nintendo by the way.

That measurement is a bit drastic though.. i doubt it very highly

11. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Wrong. PS3 has the highest average review score for current-gen consoles when comparing all released games in the US.

This is because both Wii and Xbox 360 get more shovelware (not a lack of good games on them).

12. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

It's become far too EASY for any old Tom, Dick or Harry to pirate DS games now, and it seems they haven't done enough to prevent it.

13. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Nintendo can't do much with DS now. Adding more protection might cause compatibility issues.

At least GBA had games with things like the tilt sensor, solar sensor, card scanner, etc that don't function exactly as intended in most flash carts since they lack their custom hardware.

I don't think any flash cart ever had eReader card scanning support! [​IMG]

14. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    Well even 6 year old kids can use r4 etc easily. It's Nintendo's own fault for making their console's so easy to "hack" etc. (what really that wii number code thing was the same as gamecube's but backwards or something? Can't remember anymore.) [​IMG]
    Also it's very hard to analyze how many games they would have sold if there were no pirates.

15. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think they're taking into consideration that the people who pirated those games wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I'm speaking mainly about those in China, South America, Korea, etc.

16. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Ok, you took what I said wrong, and I took what you said wrong. I assumed the video games were for you, and thats why I said that, because it looks as if there are more pressing matters than playing video games for you, but the fact that you are getting them for a 6 year old girl is honorable of you, taking care of a girl who is in need. I didn't mean to offend you, and am in no way trying to insult you. I'm sorry for coming across as that.

17. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

They might be able to add something into new carts that makes it impossible to dump or something?

18. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Ok, now that that's all cleared up, lets have no more talk of it. If this turns into another "morals in piracy" debate I'll shut it down. Those always turn into flame wars. [​IMG]

19. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It all went wrong when our grand grand grand grand grandfathers pirates thought it was smart to set foot on land! [​IMG]

20. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

so if 5% would have bought the games, then Nintendo still would have 'lost' 50mil