Nintendo Entertainment System - Screen burn in with CRT filter?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by der:Tom, Sep 22, 2018.

1. der:Tom
    OP

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    First of all i´m using the layeredFS mod with extra roms but i think that doesn´t makes a difference to the official version.
    Yesterday i played about 20min tetris while using the crt-filter (looks pretty nice btw), after that i exited to menu and had a pretty visible and flickering "screen burn in" in the black background of the menu. You could clearly recognize it as the tetris screen, and the weird thing about this was the moment i started another game it was gone also on black screens, exiting back to menu and there it was again. Also it was just at the black parts of the menu, nowhere else not over the game pictures not over the buttons, only at the black parts.
    I turned the switch off then and waited a few minutes, booted back into menu it was still there but less intensiv, turned the switch off again for about an hour, back on and the burn-in effect was finally gone.

Anyone experienced this with the new nes app? I turned crt- filter off for now cause i´m afraid it could be permanent next time...

Meepers55 likes this.
  2. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    Havent suffered this problem myself yet but its been widely discussed on the internet. Not good enough really for this to be an issue. Im sure there will be an official fix at some point.

3. der:Tom
    OP

der:Tom GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2008
    Austria
    I get the feeling it depends on what game you´re playing, if it´s smth with a constantly and completely changing screen or, like in my case tetris where 2/3 of the screen mostly stay static during the game.
    What really makes me wonder is why it´s just there while in OS menu but the moment you start another game (-> the black switch boot screen) it´s gone...:unsure:

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    This is known issue (because instead of a filter, it just super fast switches the "pixels" or whatever). It will go away after a while.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Sep 22, 2018
    der:Tom likes this.
  5. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    >He paid $20 to burn in his screen
    Yikes!