wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
mascot.gif
Nintendo DSi XL
"mini" review
dsi_xl_clean.png

GBATemp is proud to present the Nintendo DSi XL "mini" review. This review was written for users who have not yet used a DSi. Images of software, Homebrew, ROMs, and games have been intentionally left out. Although I do understand how some users may want to see side by side comparison images from the DS Lite's screens verses the DSi XL's screens. As a result of that understanding I may edit the review at a later date with a few side by side images.

For now enjoy the review. Please post any comments, questions, or typo discoveries in the discussion thread.

icon11.gif
 Nintendo DSi XL "mini" review
discuss.png
 Discuss

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
coolness said:
Another world
you have forget something by the Cons
the sound at the DSi menu
it`s shitty

what are you talking about? the dsi menu sound was fine for me. the elevator music it plays can get annoying but i didn't experience any glitches. so do you mean "shitty" as in you would have used another genre of music? if so... that isn't a con is an opinion.

-another world

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another World said:
coolness said:
Another world
you have forget something by the Cons
the sound at the DSi menu
it`s shitty

what are you talking about? the dsi menu sound was fine for me. the elevator music it plays can get annoying but i didn't experience any glitches. so do you mean "shitty" as in you would have used another genre of music? if so... that isn't a con is an opinion.

-another world

When you set the music of the DSi hard at the Menu
than the Sound is BAD!!!
i have heard it on the DSi of my little bro his friend
even my little bro says that the sound is bad
only when you play a game than it`s beautiful

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Borrowed it for a week to try out...

It's too heavy. It's supposed to be portable. What the fuck?

I wish Nintendo had done something that actually gave benefits to players instead of this unit, which brings nothing to the table.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MarkDarkness said:
Borrowed it for a week to try out...

It's too heavy. It's supposed to be portable. What the fuck?

I wish Nintendo had done something that actually gave benefits to players instead of this unit, which brings nothing to the table.
THis is by far the best ds model till date, the new screes are brilliant and after playing on them I will never go near a normal dsi again.The sound is better too so i use my dsi for music now too
wink.gif

wolfman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The DSi XL sure has advantages. My mother-in-law got one, she is about 65 years old and she claimed that it is hard to read on our (normal) DS. So the target audience is definitly older people.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the effort on yet another review, Another World. I look forward to the other ones you're outputting too.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wolfman said:
The DSi XL sure has advantages. My mother-in-law got one, she is about 65 years old and she claimed that it is hard to read on our (normal) DS. So the target audience is definitly older people.

or people with fat hands.

i've played more than one game that'd make my hands cramp up on the ds.

Hotzdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
India
well when someone buys something(in this case the DSiXL) even if there does seem to be some glitches, one starts to get used to it or work around it so after a while it becomes non evident .. Hence you won't hear them complaining even if they want to complain, while the ones who haven't bought it will complain because it the things they are complaining about which refrain them from buying it even if they can afford it..

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
actually, about the "No user choice for which "free" games are included"
when i bought it i actually got the mentioned DSiware games/apps as well as 1000 nintendo points to spend on DSiware of my choice.
and photo clock was replaced with a pretty fun dictionary app(very usefull for figuring out japanese words, you can just take a photo of them and it displays it in several other languages)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another World said:
thedicemaster said:
when i bought it i actually got the mentioned DSiware games/apps as well as 1000 nintendo points to spend on DSiware of my choice.

you got 1,000 points on a card in the box or as some store promotion when you purchased it?

-another world
The 1,000 point bonus ended in Europe at the end of March. If the Netherlands benefited from the bonus as part of Europe, maybe he got them from that if he got the console in time.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very nice review, Another World!! i really enjoyed your last 2 Reviews. (wow, i am such a kiss up)

but maybe, include a video of how games look? or that thingy you mentioned about AKAIO

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the AKAIO thing is just an observation that on the larger screen it is easy to see the native imperfections on the dsi hardware. you won't really noticed it in games, i haven't, but i see it in homebrew fonts - that rough edge.

i am going to take some images next week of homebrew running side by side. then i'll make a follow up post to the review with the images.

-another world

Princess Rozalin

†GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†
Trophies
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok Heres a Con you might want to Another World i tried to Transfer my DSIware March of the Minis to my DSI XL and no luck it says it cant be Transfer

Unless you mean this then ok you didnt Forget - Most applications can not access the SD card directly

PS:I Bought it Todays so yeahhhhh PROUD OWNER OF A DSI XL!!!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
yea dsi ware is locked to the dsi you downloaded it too. this is a "security" feature of the dsi. i would feel the same way if i wanted to transfer something i bought to a second dsi in my house. but consider your 10+ friends who have a dsi who also want that game or appliacation. so on one hand it is a con but on the other it makes perfect sense. should it go in the con list? i'm not really sure. =/

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1