OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Nintendo DSi XL outsold PSP in March 2010
It Prints Money
prints_money.gif

QUOTE said:
Michael Pachter described the March launch of Nintendo's latest handheld, the Nintendo DSi XL, "solid." Considering it outsold both the PSP and PSP Go combined, we're inclined to agree.

According to NPD figures (via Gamasutra), the DSi XL sold 141,000 units in March, besting PSP's combined 120,000. Even more impressive is that this figure only accounts for four days of sales; the DSi XL was released on March 28th. The tremendous success of the equally tremendous device confirms that there truly is "room to grow" for the DS market.

Source

Contributed by Rockstar

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fine that you made this topic, but I'm not surprised at all, PSP popularity went down a long while back, that was all over the net. Big mistake with the PSP GO.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I got a DSiXL on launch day too, and I was very excited.
I didn't regret one bit, I'm loving it and I couldn't go back to play on the DSL even if I wanted to.
It feels solid and well built, it has wonderful screens and it comes with interesting software pre installed.
I think it's a hell of a deal, and it's breathing new life into older games.
I'm glad it's actually been a successful launch, and it paid back well for Ninty.
To think how poor the GBA micro performed.........
I tell you something, I was gonna get I GBA micro , but the smaller screen turned me off.......
If they managed to keep the same shape, but offer the same screen size of the GBA SP2 ( or larger ) , I would have gotten one without second thoughts just like I did with the XL.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my XL on launch day (lovin' it), and personally, the last time I played my DS lite was in February (it died in October, came back to life for about 10 minutes, allowing me to flash my Acekard, then it died again). The lite has poor build quality. I know a lot of people with DS lites, and to me, the plastic looks kinda toy-ish compared to the DSi/XL. The build quality on the DSi and DSi XL looks professional.
I also wanted the Game Boy Micro, but didn't feel it was necessary (I have a sidelit GBASP, purchased 3 months after launch). I would've loved to compare it's size to the DSi XL.

...And I think the DSi XL would've sold better if it was released when the original DSi was released.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YayMii said:
I got my XL on launch day (lovin' it), and personally, the last time I played my DS lite was in February (it died in October, came back to life for about 10 minutes, allowing me to flash my Acekard, then it died again). The lite has poor build quality. I know a lot of people with DS lites, and to me, the plastic looks kinda toy-ish compared to the DSi/XL. The build quality on the DSi and DSi XL looks professional.

...And I think the DSi XL would've sold better if it was released instead of the normal DSi.
fixd
anyways i got my xl a few days after launch and yeah its my favorite from all the dses ive owned(lite, dsi and dsixl)

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
zuron7 said:
I'm wondering why would anyone buy a DSi XL. C'mon it's like the iPad which is a large iPod Touch.
And I just had this brainwave Apple copied Nintendo's strategy
mad.gif
big screens are a lot more comfortable for some things.
touch input can be more accurate, meaning it's easier to play touch-screen games.
drawing is easier on a big touchscreen.
for book reading it's nice to have big screens to look at.
movies are easier to watch on bigger screens.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is "outselling the PSP" like any major news? The PSP didn't have a whole lot worth buying in March. The only "big" titles in March for the PSP I can think of were BlazBlue Portable, Dead or Alive Paradise, and Dante's Inferno. The DS had, you know, it's biggest titles of the year. Pokemon, WarioWare DIY, SMT: Strange Journey, and so on. And people would figure "Why not pick up a new DS with a new DS game?" Hardware sales go hand-in-hand with software trends.

As for the XL itself, I would buy one if I had the cash. It seems the only people hating it are those who don't own it. I just want something bigger, and the "pixelation" isn't really as bad as people say it is.

It's also Nintendo. Most anything they make sells well. Their "failure", Wii Music, sold like a "wimpy" 2 million. Most third party games don't even sell 1/4th as much.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought Square Enix hinting at localizing 4 Warriors of Light was more worthy news than this. Still, I can't help but feel responsible for bringing this into light.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a bronze DSi XL, and it is possibly the most awesome device I have ever played before. It does the job perfectly, and I'm glad to have bought it at release.

There is NO pixelation to me at all, no worries there.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YayMii said:
...And I think the DSi XL would've sold better if it was released when the original DSi was released.
Of course, but then the DSi wouldn't have sold so well would it?

This way Nintendo can get some DSi owners to upgrade to the DSi XL as well, getting twice your money.

It's like how they release Extended editions of DVDs/ BluRays a couple of months after the initial theatrical DVD/ BluRay release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: hello