Nintendo DSi should be region free says Dunaway

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rock Raiyu, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    News Source: wired

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    if it's region free, then it may have multiple languages, and if so, I really need to import a DSi

3. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Does the japanese DSlite have multiple langauges?

4. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I don't know, but the North American supports about 6 languages. Including Japanese.

5. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I have an imported silver dsl how do i know if its multi 6? im at work now so can check when home
    about DSi guess we need to wait 1 month for the answer

6. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    my japanese dslite has english options. just like my japanese psp.

7. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Even so, I won't be importing a japanese DSi because the downloads really interest me.

Just like how a japanese wii only offers japanese downloads, but it's great to hear my DS games WON'T be region locked, so an american system sounds good to import!

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    We don't need to hear a "should be", we need to hear an "is".

9. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    That would be sweet if I could be in the US and download software from Japan.

10. pipesfranco

Member pipesfranco GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    A quote here from CVG

“DSi software (software that is only compatible with DSi) is region locked, eg: European DSi software can only be played on European DSi consoles,” a Nintendo spokesperson has told CVG.

“Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world.”

“DSi is region locked because DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region. Also because we are including parental control functionality for Nintendo DSi and each region has its unique age limit made by different independent.”

oh dear

11. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    It seems like only DSi-software is region locked. Users of the DS and DS Lite don't have to worry about anything. According to Nintendo, all DSi-software is DSiWare (downloadable software), but the article at CVG also talks about cartridge-based software which is also regionlocked. However, this will only apply to DSi-only software. Software that runs on the DS and DS Lite will not be region locked, even when playing it on the DSi.

12. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    makes sense, I guess region locking is a DSi only "feature" after all.

13. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    I have absolutely no problem with the DSi part being region locked, I'm very thankful that all my existing games WON'T be region locked.

This is tolerable, no big deal.

And yet I see a lot of people bitching about this region locking, why? They're only region locking the games that will only work on a DSi.

14. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    But still, if we import it, will we still have access to the Japanese DSiShop? And even if it is region locked, someone will probably hack it. =/

15. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    AFAIK, existing DS games do have region headers of some kind. So Nintendo could've locked them had they wanted to.

16. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Because handhelds never had region locking, cause they didn't depend on NTSC / PAL screens so technically there never was need for it, why start doing so now?
    Because people want to be able to play any game from any region without needing to buy a Japanese DSi to play that Japanese game that never got to US/Europe and a EU/US DSi to play the rest of the games in English.
    Because in Jap/US everything is cheaper. People don't like to pay extra for 4 translations to languages they don't speak anyways.
    Because the DSi comes out in Japan within a month, while Europe has to wait for about half a year. Some people want to import the device so they can play it already, but want to play the DSi-exclusive games in their own language as well.
    Because Europe will probably get most of their DSi-exclusive games half a year later then the other regions as well, as Nintendo always does...

^ Probably one of those

17. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Let's see...

Because handhelds never had region locking, cause they didn't depend on NTSC / PAL screens so technically there never was need for it, why start doing so now?
    Sega Nomad, was region locked for some reason.

Because people want to be able to play any game from any region without needing to buy a Japanese DSi to play that Japanese game that never got to US/Europe and a EU/US DSi to play the rest of the games in English.

Because you can legally download japanese VC titles on your European Wii, right?

Because in Jap/US everything is cheaper. People don't like to pay extra for 4 translations to languages they don't speak anyways.

Sadly true, but again, the region lock only seems to apply to downloads right now.

Because the DSi comes out in Japan within a month, while Europe has to wait for about half a year. Some people want to import the device so they can play it already, but want to play the DSi-exclusive games in their own language as well.

Okay, that's legit, but even then it's japanese downloads on japanese systems, english downloads on english systems.

Because Europe will probably get most of their DSi-exclusive games half a year later then the other regions as well, as Nintendo always does...
    But again, these are region locked downloads.

The problem is, people are complaining about DOWNLOADS being region locked, we're not certain if there will be cartridge exclusives for the DSi, and if those will be region locked right now.

If there will be region locked cartridges, then we have a legitimate complaint, because downloads usually have DRM to ensure they only work on the system that downloaded them.

18. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Exactly, let's not rule out the possibility of retail DSi games. There doesn't appear to be a technical reason why they they couldn't appear later on. Only marketing.

19. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I still hope the DSi fails hard. Downloadable content......if the DSi is successful, it will likely lead them to no longer providing carts (and therefore ROMs), but EVERYTHING will have to be downloaded....for a fee, and region locked to boot. DO NOT WANT!
    Fail DSi, fail badly.

20. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Region locking doesn't have much, if anything to do with NTSC/PAL.
    It really has to do with publishers wanting control over how/when certain titles are released and to keep the regional arms of multinational corporations in control over those release (there's no real reason for DVD regions for example except to allow each regional publisher to release movies on their schedule).

As for the virtual store some games will never see release in another region or are considered inappropriate for that region (I can think of a few Japanese DS games that would never be sold in the U.S., even with the rating system). As for Europeans, you cats get socialized health care, America gets video games (and I very wonderfully, get both). Were I ever to live in Europe, I'd be importing left and right anyway.

As for there not being ROMs, that's probably a very good thing for Nintendo and it sounds pretty jack-assy to fault them for that. But I'm sure it will be vaguely the same principal as iPod classic software and those can be bootlegged (and I'm sure there would be far more interest in doing so if all the iPod c games didn't. suck)

I want unicorns to serve me pizzas made of strawberries and gummi bears.
    I want every game, in a language I speak, and I want it now!!!
    Either wait for the American system and get stuck with all the American releases or get the Japanese version as soon as it comes out and learn to read and write Japanese. I don't think you have a lot of other choices (I mean, the number of European produced games I want to play is holding pretty steady at zero).

Also games aren't more expensive in Europe (just) because of extra translations. A lot of U.S. games now come with Spanish and French. They're mostly more expensive because of the tax system in a lot of European countries, if I'm not entirely mistaken.