Nintendo DSi playing various movie formats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ds.gif
Nintendo DSi playing various movie formats?
Mysterious video appears!
A mysterious video that has appeared on Youtube appears to show a Nintendo DSi with Moonshell playing various movie formats directly without the apparent need to convert them to DPG or similar beforehand.

The Youtube video, uploaded by an unknown individual shows a DSi playing both .avi (supposedly DivX/Xvid), Realmedia and Windows Media Video formats.

Real or hoax? What's your opinion?

*Update*: I've just been confirmed by a reliable source (who wishes to remain anonymous) that this is not a hoax and is currently a WIP. It is a new slot1 card that will be announced shortly! Unfortunately we're not able to divulge any more information! But we'll remain sceptical until we have the product in our hands to test for ourselves.

icon11.gif
 Youtube video
discuss.png
 Discuss

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IMO hoax until we can see what buttons hes pressing or if he is running a .dpg of this which is possible (I think?). With that said I don't know how that is possible without using dsi mode.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
Fake, fake and I'm guessing total fake, there not a chance or it would of been done by now.

1: no one has hacked the DSi yet so unless it a real Nintendo card made to do so, there not a chance that the DSi would have the power in DS mode.

2: they say avi, wav and so on what if there sized DPG with Avi or wav at the end and a set up were the .Dpg is not shown
X.avi.dpg
could look like x.avi

and
3. no matter what they would of had to of been resized so even if it was real conversion was need to a lower size to fit on the screen.

4. We don't see a flash card and it never shows moonshell 1 or 2 logos any ware.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well it dont have to be fake maybe a genius found out how to get the dsi in dsi mode without a dsi game its possible i think

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fake.
WMV hardly works properly on anything but Windows, and definitely not on the DSi.
I doubt the DSi is powerful enough to play it anyway.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
Jdbye said:
Fake.
WMV hardly works properly on anything but Windows, and definitely not on the DSi.
I doubt the DSi is powerful enough to play it anyway.

true, Rm is just as hard to & plugins would be required also a youtube post that random with no info, is a blunt lie. simple as that.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Fake, it's just renamed .dpg videos..

Those video formats are too big and too complex for current possibilities that homebrew applications offer on DSi.

There is a possibility that DSi mode was hacked, but I highly doubt that first think that someone would do after hacking DSi mode, is video playback..

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
Fake, it's just renamed .dpg videos..

Those video formats are too big and too complex for current possibilities that homebrew applications offer on DSi.

There is a possibility that DSi mode was hacked, but I highly doubt that first think that someone would do after hacking DSi mode, is video playback..

My guess would be a homebrew game to show what can be done with it would be first, Dpg is perfect for the DS.

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IMO the doubtful part of the video is that the movies load extremely fast for DS capabilities. Even on Wii it takes longer to load videos ... so I doubt this is real (i guess dpg can load that fast but you know, this one's optimized for it ...)

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. RMVB and WMV are relatively closed formats... and heavily compressed. To my knowledge the only thing the DSi has over the DS is 32MB RAM vs 4MB. I doubt any video playback routines can be assisted by the camera hardware to pull off the decompression in real-time.
Maybe, just maybe, if this is true, just the loading screen is hoaxed, the whole thing is put into RAM and some of it is done--wait. That's starting to sound like nonsense.
Don't believe it.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
imgod22222 said:
Yeah. RMVB and WMV are relatively closed formats... and heavily compressed. To my knowledge the only thing the DSi has over the DS is 32MB RAM vs 4MB. I doubt any video playback routines can be assisted by the camera hardware to pull off the decompression in real-time.
Maybe, just maybe, if this is true, just the loading screen is hoaxed, the whole thing is put into RAM and some of it is done--wait. That's starting to sound like nonsense.
Don't believe it.

Well, the processor is also about twice as fast. But...to my knowledge, nobody has actually hacked DSi mode yet, am I right?

(Fixed typo 'cause I'm cool like that.
tongue.gif
)

D

Deleted-119707

if he has the videos on, what is he using? its surely not moonshell.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been confirmed by a reliable source (who wishes to remain anonymous) that this is not a hoax and is currently a WIP. It is a new slot1 card that will be announced shortly!

Unfortunately I'm not able to divulge any more information! But we'll remain sceptical until we have the product in our hands to test for ourselves.

webyugioh

Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
shaunj66 said:
I've just been confirmed by a reliable source (who wishes to remain anonymous) that this is not a hoax and is currently a WIP. It is a new slot1 card that will be announced shortly!

Unfortunately I'm not able to divulge any more information! But we'll remain sceptical until we have the product in our hands to test for ourselves.

Oh, well it that case
YAY! I CAN'T WAIT!

If it is not too expensive, I'll order one as soon as it comes out.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Well...which famous brand haven't release anything for DSi yet

M3 has iTouch2i
EZ has EZ5i
DSTT has DSTTi
SC has SCDS(one)i
AK has AK2i

....CycloDSi maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.