The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
313smdk.jpg

The Nintendo DS has finally surpassed the PlayStation 2 and is now the Greatest video game platform ever made . The Nintendo DS has sold 153.69 million units, while the PlayStation 2 has sold 153.68 million units. The Nintendo DS outsold the PlayStation 2 globally from the week ending December 8th.

Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
not really ds did something big surpassing the ps2 to be honest never expected this
I have. The DS is easily the best handheld console ever made, despite its hardware shortcomings. While in my opinion, the DS architecture greatly overstayed its welcome and unfortunately overshadowed the possibilities given by the DSi, it was certainly revolutionary for its time and its place in the spotlight is well-deserved. What I don't like is tallying up the sales of the DS and the DSi - if we're talling up sales, we might add the 3DS as well, since it's backwards-compatible just like the DSi after all... but that, as shown by many arguments I had previously on the issue is debatable.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank USA market for that. DS is still selling more than the 3DS in the west. DS is dead in Japan, where the 3DS really dominates the Japanese market, surpassing the PS3 sales over there in less than two years out in the market. Impressive.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have. The DS is easily the best handheld console ever made, despite its hardware shortcomings. While in my opinion, the DS architecture greatly overstayed its welcome and unfortunately overshadowed the possibilities given by the DSi, it was certainly revolutionary for its time and its place in the spotlight is well-deserved. What I don't like is tallying up the sales of the DS and the DSi - if we're talling up sales, we might add the 3DS as well, since it's backwards-compatible just like the DSi after all... but that, as shown by many arguments I had previously on the issue is debatable.

do we add the ps2 revisions to the sales ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
do we add the ps2 revisions to the sales ?
The DSi is not a revision of the DS - the DSi is an entirely new build of the hardware with higher CPU frequencies, different OS, added cameras, new Wi-Fi chip and a removed GBA Slot. For all intents and purposes, it's a new device - it even has new types of binaries (DSiWare, DSi Enhanced, DSi Exclusive titles). The changes to the hardware are far too substantial to constitute a "revision".

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Same as why GBC is included into the GB sales. ;) They are not true successors in Nintendo's world.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSi is not a revision of the DS - the DSi is an entirely new build of the hardware with higher CPU frequencies, different OS, added cameras, new Wi-Fi chip and a removed GBA Slot. For all intents and purposes, it's a new device - it even has new types of binaries (DSiWare, DSi Enhanced, DSi Exclusive titles). The changes to the hardware are far too substantial to constitute a "revision".

DSI is a revision i know you no happy with the news but no reason to make stuff up

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Same as why GBC is included into the GB sales. ;) They are not true successors in Nintendo's world.
In Nintendo's World being the keyword here. ;) The fact that GBC-Only games existed suggests that it's a new console with backwards compatibility via a compatibility later.
DSI is a revision i know you no happy with the news but no reason to make stuff up
From a hardware standpoint, it is not. The fact that Nintendo says so doesn't mean that I have to magically become technologically-illiterate.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
I would like to say that Sony hasn't released any sales data since the end of last year. Nintendo's last release was last quarter, and any sales data since then is estimation. This sales data isn't from official sources such as the manufacturers themselves, it's a work of estimation.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would like to say that Sony hasn't released any sales data since the end of last year. Nintendo's last release was last quarter, and any sales data since then is estimation. This sales data isn't from official sources such as the manufacturers themselves, it's a work of estimation.
Yeah we do from Nintendo themselves in the November NDP.

Nintendo DS: In its 97th month overall, Nintendo DS sold more than 370,000 units and will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days.

Since it's been two/three weeks since those sales, we can safely bet it's over 53 million, although Nintendo themselves said only a few days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent