Nintendo DS Lite

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Does it come in blue? *grins*
biggrin.gif
Well, now it's down to the decision of whether to get a DS this month, or add a few months worth of cash to the pot and wait for this little gem to be released on account of the adjustable brightness screen. Mmm decisions, they do like to make it hard for us don't they?

Kinda miffed about how much they were denying this last week thou. It seems kinda futile to drive a steamroller through the hype then slip out a quiet note *after* everyone's lost intrest. And man would I've been pissed if I'd brought one in the week after the announcement on the 16th...

(The presense of this post is completely a figment of your imagination; I am revising for tomorrow morning's AI exam, honest!
happy.gif
)

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry to go against the majority of you guys but I think this thing looks lame. It looks so plain and generic. BORING basically. Wit all the new type cell phones and ipods floating around, thin is in. But I for one will not be upgrading. I'm sticking with my trusty electric blue brick
biggrin.gif

Now if that thing came in BLACK....it might look awesome. So I guess I'll wait til some new colors are shown before I make my final judgement.
smile.gif

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Meh, IMO it's definitly uglier than the standard DS. If it's alot more comfortable to hold, works with flashcarts, and comes in lime green, I would get one. Selling my old DS and buying the new one would atmost lose me 30 bucks, so whatever.

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they made some connectivity for this for use with their Revolution "Virtual Console" - similar to what you see in Animal Crossing on GC when you play a NES game using "Advance Play" - except for this it would be NES, SNES and possibly even N64 or GB/GBC games (hey you never know) - then you have a portable virtual console
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if you could transer NES and possible SNES games over to the DS via wireless link with Revolution. And they wouldn't need a "redesign" to do this, it can all be coded on the Revolution end.

http://megaman.retrofaction.com/index.php?...t_from=&ucat=2&
X3 for XBox 360?
By Jaxel on Jan 19, 2006 12:44 pm in Mega Man X News
Firstly, if you are interested in my thoughts toward the MMXC, please visit the MMN Community, and click on the X series forum. I'm also taking questions in that particular thread.

Now, I have some new information. I stopped by my local EB Games to pick up my copy of MMXC. When I walked in, the general manager was standing there with another individual. This person turned out to be a Nintendo rep, briefing the manager on the Nintendo Revolution.

I had the chance to talk with them both. It turns out someone from Microsoft was in a few days before to brief them on the 360. I learned several interesting details.

First off, the XBox 360 will be getting full support from Capcom. You will have access to a huge archive of games, including the X series. The SNES version of X3 will also be included in this lineup. So for those of you who are bummed out because it was not in MMXC, don't fret.

I also talked with the Nintendo rep. He says they have Capcom on-board with the revolution, but are still working to secure the Mega Man titles. Right now, they only have the original series (MM1-7) slated for download. He also took the time to show me the "SNES 2006". Basically, it is the entire SNES crammed into a single chip that will be used in the Revolution. He said the N64 and NES chips were about the same size.

I also got to talk with the Nintendo representative about Capcom. It seems the entire industry has frustrations with them every now and then. He said "they are an outstanding company, but they sure are hard to work with sometimes". He also talked about how he was able to preview MMXC, and talked briefly about the missing English voices. He said X4 had new voices for several characters, including Sigma, Iris, X, and Zero. At the time, he had no idea why they were cut. He also mentioned X4 was the only game to have new voice acting, and said X6 had always been vocal-less in preview builds. If thats true, it pretty much flies in the face of what capcom has been telling us, but I suppose I'm not surprised.

I'll post new info as it rolls in. Keep your eyes on MMN for continued coverage.

PS- Can you say "Blue Oil"?
Unless these Virtual Console chips somehow made it into the DS Lite while magically keeping the price low, don't count on it.

I've gotten too used to the DS's start/select button placement. Seems kind odd to move them to me...

I'm not too sure about the mic.'s new placement. Wouldn't that mean more spit on the screens? ._.
Speaking of which, would it be harder to clean the DS Lite? How durable would it be? Would the R-shoulder button still be kinda less long-lasting like my DS and my SP? Would it be hard to crack it open without resetting your profile?

Let's just hope that the handheld market won't turn into a brighter screen war... ("GACK! I'm blind now!")

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay...as a loyal Nintendo Follower for so long, I have to say...ENOUGH WITH THE BULLSHIT.

This is getting so damn old it's not funny anymore.

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro
Another ****ing Gameboy Advance SP...
Gameboy Player if that counts.

Now the DS got a new one too? How long til the DS Micro? or the DS PUT-IT-IN-YOUR-DAMN-EYE?

Nintendo needs to stop reworking the already perfectly fine systems and start working on the new systems like the Revolution and Whatever the next GB is called...not ****ing upgrades.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay...as a loyal Nintendo Follower for so long, I have to say...ENOUGH WITH THE BULLSHIT.

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

Now the DS got a new one too? How long til the DS Micro? or the DS PUT-IT-IN-YOUR-DAMN-EYE?

Nintendo needs to stop reworking the already perfectly fine systems and start working on the new systems like the Revolution and Whatever the next GB is called...not ****ing upgrades.
Well, you only lose, if you actually bought them all. There is nothing wrong with improving technology. Nobody is forcing you to rush out and buy each improvement though.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Gameboy Micro

It's called clever marketing
smile.gif
Nintendo is making money, that's what companies do. Take Apple's iPod, new versions of that come out each year, why should the GBA or DS be different? If they can make the DS better then go for it I say. The reason why the DS didn't originally come out the same size as the Lite is because the technology would have cost too much then to fit the DS price tag back then. As time passes technology prices go down. Nintendo are just keeping on top of the ball, offering us the best bang for our buck. I don't know why you are crucifying them for it
lecture.gif

Also, just because they make an improved version doesn't mean you NEED to buy it. You're not losing anything. If when you bought an original DS you were happy with it, then that's all the matters. I was certainly happy with my DS.

ChaosTheorySD

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that kinda annoys me is that Nintendo was all "No, we're not redesigning the DS." "We gaurantee you, we're not making a new DS anytime soon." "no really, we're not." "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS NEW DS."

sleep.gif

Viguro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.fictionpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the "redesign" doesn't seem that big of a deal rather it's smaller. Smaller is fine, if I didn't already have huge pockets... it's probably for the more "image conscience" consumer, like the Micro. Sexified so it appeals to a broader mound of people. I "kinda" want one, maybe if it had a significant feature over the original, like the SP over the GBA, I would probably be already counting my pennies, but I digress, I'll wait for a healthy price drop and let them spew out some colors.
smile.gif

To anyone who didn't see this coming...man...it's like not knowing the Earth has life in it, it's just so obvious. You know you'll see a trimmed down PSP
smile.gif
You KNOW IT! You can't imagine it, but it doesn't mean Sony can't XD.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They're doing this for the damn money, not because of technology. Honestly, how many hardcore gamers do you think actually bought the Micro? I haven't even seen one in person. I've atleast seen one N-Gage out in the open.

If they're going along with releasing this, they better make the original DS even cheaper now.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ugh, looks awful IMO... --;
Still I'll probably end up getting one, a better screen is a welcome addition, and it's good they've put the start and select buttons back where they should be.

I'm a tad worried about the D-Pad though, it doesn't look concave in the center so playing 3D games might be more difficult than on the current DS. Mind you the current D-Pad is pretty awful so I don't imagine it being worse... I heard the Micro ones were good...

It's wishful thinking but I'm hoping Nintendo have put some PDA style software into the firmware, knowing them they won't bother though =(. Oh and I wish they had included removeable faceplates (even if say just on the top of the unit... after all there isn't even a Nintendo logo there @_@; )

I'm tempted to sell my DS now, but there's no saying when the DS Lite will have its firmware and protection hacked. Knowing Loopy and Darkfader it'll be a few days after they get one, ha, but who knows maybe Nintendo actually put some effort into the security this time.

p.s Is it just me or wouldn't it be really nice to see an M3 or Supercard redesigned to fit the DS slot flush, to compliment the DS Lite? Anyone know if anything is in the works?

smile.gif
sorry to sound so "wrong, wrong, wrong!"
but i feel there are a few things I'd like to point out

firstly, this image of the DSlite obviously doesnt have the amount of effort in the current DS design pics. they made that DS look great.
and I can tell from this bad photoshop image that once the real images and photos roll out it will be sexy as hell

also, I love the two square logos. its just a great logo that i would much rather have to be honest

and when i got my DS (launch) and everyone was complaining how bad the dpad was and its so much better controlling mario on the touch screen ( i realise this is most likely an opinion thing) but i feel people were overly harsh on the DS dpad.. personally i think its superb, perfect size, perfect feel
I prefer dpads over joysticks for and when i compare controling sm64 to controling sm64ds, sm64ds is clearly superior, to me atleast

thats about it really
also, I'd like to add that i dont think this design is final since its a pretty low budget image and things will still be tweaked once the nice highres detailed images roll out, that will be finalised

edit-
and i think its fair that the DS has been redesigned so soon compared to past examples
nintendo didnt expect the DS would be this huge. sure they expected a success but they werent ready for this, so they know its appealed to a wider audience than they thought it would and with a second design which might be the thing needed to pull more customers in.

2006 year of the DS again?

kaede2k1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
new DS design = awesome! IMO it would be best in black

BUT the fact that I bought my new DS 1.5 weeks ago means I want to go stuff my chunky 33% bigger, 20% heavier, DS up some nintendo ceo's arse..
dry.gif

Sigh.. now to sell my almost new DS.. the question is.. can I hold out till late march/april (im guessing when they release it in AUS) without one?

NothingHERO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know I am definetly going to get this new model! And like you Kaede, I just baught my DS two or three weeks ago! Its all good though, I will keep my old DS around so I can game on some multi-player with some of my friends who dont even have a DS.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I've just added some more info to the news post.

The GBA slot has a cover, presumably so that the DS Lite will look white all over including the GBA slot.

There are no software enhancements. No extra features or wifi pictochat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-