Nintendo DS Lite

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not impressed. I'm happy with the size of the DS as it is now. I don't really like super small things. Plus...I really don't care if I can change my screen's brightness or not. I'd always leave it on the same level anyway.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ugh, looks awful IMO... --;
Still I'll probably end up getting one, a better screen is a welcome addition, and it's good they've put the start and select buttons back where they should be.

I'm a tad worried about the D-Pad though, it doesn't look concave in the center so playing 3D games might be more difficult than on the current DS. Mind you the current D-Pad is pretty awful so I don't imagine it being worse... I heard the Micro ones were good...

It's wishful thinking but I'm hoping Nintendo have put some PDA style software into the firmware, knowing them they won't bother though =(. Oh and I wish they had included removeable faceplates (even if say just on the top of the unit... after all there isn't even a Nintendo logo there @_@; )

I'm tempted to sell my DS now, but there's no saying when the DS Lite will have its firmware and protection hacked. Knowing Loopy and Darkfader it'll be a few days after they get one, ha, but who knows maybe Nintendo actually put some effort into the security this time.

p.s Is it just me or wouldn't it be really nice to see an M3 or Supercard redesigned to fit the DS slot flush, to compliment the DS Lite? Anyone know if anything is in the works?

smile.gif

salv

Male Nurse
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
its intresting! i like the name fits in well... i might buy one, maybeeeee. for some reason DS games havent appealed to me. d-pad looks to small tho, and i havent used one for games in a WHILE.

Im having too much fun with my 1Gig mem stick and PSP.

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across this from Game Spot, posted Jan 26, 2006 2:15 am PT
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6143136.html

QUOTE said:
New DS hitting Japan March 2
Reworked handheld will feature improved weight, size, and four levels of brightness control; interface to also have minor facelift.

TOYKO--
Since the beginning of the year, rumors have been spreading that Nintendo is developing a new model of its popular DS handheld. After weeks of playing coy with non-committal statements, today the company finally confirmed it. Nintendo released an announced that it will release the new DS, called the "Nintendo DS Lite" in Japan on March 2. The handheld will be priced at 16,800 yen ($145), which is a little more expensive than the original DS, which sells at 15,000 yen ($130). No US or European release plans were announced.

Nintendo DS Lite will come with all the unique features of the original DS, but its weight and size have been trimmed down. While the original DS weighed at 275 grams, DS Lite is 218 grams. The handheld's size has been improved overall, as its width has been reduced from 148.7mm to 133 mm, and its height has been reduced from 84.7 mm to 73.9 mm. Its thickness has also been reduced by nearly a third, from 28.9 mm to 21.5 mm (when folded).

Capability-wise, the DS Lite has all the functions that were present on the original DS, including the dual screens, touch panel, microphone input and Wi-Fi connection. As a new hardware feature, the DS Lite will come with four adjustable levels of screen brightness. Nintendo said it decided to name the new model as DS Lite because of its light weight, and also for its screen brightness. One feature that has yet to be clarified is whether the unit will still be backwards-compatible with Game Boy Advance games.

Nintendo has released a mockup image of its DS Lite (pictured), which reveals that the handheld will have a minor facelift. While the original DS featured its microphone and battery power indicator on the bottom, it's been relocated to the middle hinge between the two screens. The layout of the main four buttons are the same as the original DS, but the start and select buttons have been placed on their bottom, and their sizes have been reduced. The image released by Nintendo shows the DS Lite having a white body, versus the metallic silver color of the original DS. Nintendo hasn't said whether this will be the default color of the machine.

Specs released by Nintendo are as follows.

Product Name: Nintendo DS Lite
Release date: 3/2/3006
Price: 16,800 yen

Size:
DS Lite: 133.0 x 73.9 x 21.5mm (when folded)
(Original DS) 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.9 mm (when folded)
Weight:
DS Lite: 218g
(Original DS) 275g

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The only thing that appeals me is the better screen. I have a psp and never change the screen brightness (always have it oin level 3).
Also i think that the sl1 hole will not be there and you will have to dig one on your own if you want to install flashme.
Japan is getting this while we still not have the black-noir ds.
As for the feature :
- There are 4 stages of screen brightness (similar to the PSP)
The psp uses only the 3 and the 4th one when you charge it.

pdb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This gives me an excuse to sell my current DS. I found some dead pixels on mine, and dust trapped under the screen.

Roll on European release date.

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
weee it looks great thought i don't see whats wrong with the d-pad i mean it's just a lil bit smaller i doubt i would notice much diffrent hmm i hope gc skins (game console skins) will make some cool skins for it and hopefully it will be flashable if not i guess somebody just has to figure out another way to play homebrew and all the other thingys on it

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know the concept of the smaller D-Pad was first looked down upon when the GBA moved onto the GBA-SP. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will do something with this new Nintendo DS to make all of us run out and buy one.

Personally I think its an improvement considering how holding the system with one hand is a bitch cause its so heavy.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think to myself at first "No way, not again." but that's what I thought about SP. When my friend was interested in grabbing an SP after someone broke into his house and stole his xbox psx gba and some priceless family belongings, I was phoning up EB to get the SP prices/deals for him while I was taking care of my own business (Megaman & Bass and Sonic Advance 2). Then right as I was about to hang up he asks if I have a gba, says they will give me $60 for it. I changed my mind at that point. Anyhoo, I've gotta get a job soon enough so alot could change if I do get one. I'm not totally impressed with the changes, as the light seems fine enough for me and the system weight being lessened... well that is probably actually nice when I'm holding the system with one hand. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Oh, and I would be willing to get a new PassMe unit for it but not a new flashkit should anything drastically changes with the hardware, which I would of course doubt.

Zorn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe this new DS version can be used as a Revolution Mobile and can also handle every snes and n64 game!!!
ph34r.gif

Anyway, I don't realy want it.
only if my old DS get lost or damaged.

But maybe this small version is very welcome for children hands.
So they can reach the touchscreen much better!

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
First of all: good marketing move.
Second: if the screens are like the GBMicro ones I will buy this in a heartbeat.
Third: hope it will be easy to use flashcarts on it, or that new flashcarts will be made compatible with this too.

forgot to say: I want a Black one...it would ROCK!
yaynds.gif

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it. I really like it. I won't buy it, because I already have the "Hot Rod Red" DS, but it looks very nice. Someone mentioned skins for it. I hope skins made for this DS look better than those pieces of crap out now. The current skins fit the DS horribly and leave too many open gaps.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn