Nintendo discontinues 3DS production in Japan

3ds.png
On the 3DS hardware section of the official Japanese Nintendo website, an announcement appeared today stating that the production of the Nintendo 3DS series has been discontinued. Meanwhile, the official U.S. Nintendo website no longer lists the 3DS in its hardware section and no mention of the 3DS line of products can be found. In fact, the nintendo.com/3ds URL redirects to nintendo.com. But unlike the Japanese website, there is no announcement of the handheld's discontinuation.

These news come abruptly as Nintendo has not made any official statement regarding the discontinuation of the 3DS line. The company even held a mini Direct today but made no such statement. With the Wii U long discontinued and the 3DS following suit, Nintendo seems to fully focus on the Nintendo Switch. An upgraded model has even been rumored by multiple sources briefed on Nintendo's strategy for an early 2021 release.

While the 3DS might be discontinued, it will still live on with emulators and homebrews that will give it a second life. In the wake of this news, what's your favorite 3DS game/memory?

:arrow: SOURCE

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I knew it was gonna happen when games sales for the 3DS tanked so hard last year the company behind the Mario & Luigi games went bankrupt. Plus Nintendo choice of not releasing more games for the system. With Pokemon online services for it being gone there was no reason to keep the 3DS alive.

That being said, the Switch is not a bad console.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So this really does mark the end of the 3DS' life. But it will forever live on in our hearts.

what's your favorite 3DS game/memory?
New Leaf, Smash Bros and Fire Emblem.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
RIP 3DS, it was a fun ride :bow:

now wondering if going forward Nintendo will stick with just a single hybrid system each generation or if they will launch a new dedicated home system or a new dedicated portable sometime soon, I could kinda see them just keeping 1 system per generation but with 3 versions, the move beefy home only, a standard home+portable and a cheap budget lite system

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
RIP 3DS, it was a fun ride :bow:

now wondering if going forward Nintendo will stick with just a single hybrid system each generation or if they will launch a new dedicated home system or a new dedicated portable sometime soon, I could kinda see them just keeping 1 system per generation but with 3 versions, the move beefy home only, a standard home+portable and a cheap budget lite system

One system?

Nintendo already has the old Switch, the revision Switch that has better anti-piracy and better battery life and the Switch Lite. Then there is the supposed Switch HD that will be released either for Christmas or next year.

Last edited by raxadian,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to hand it to the 3DS, it had a damn good run out of all their handhelds. It sold like hotcakes. But it was dead to me as soon as the Switch launched, and we got no more first-party title support. It was a very slow death for the system from then until now. (I'm kind of shocked we still get 3DS systems stocked in my store to be honest)

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but...