Nintendo Direct - February 9 - Chrono Cross remaster, new Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC

It's time for a Direct. Sit down, get your hype train tickets ready, and let's see what's going on at Nintendo.

First revealed is a new Fire Emblem Warriors game, based on Three Houses. It's titled Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. It features Dimitri, Edelgard, and Claude. June 24, 2022 launch. Takes place in the same universe as Three Houses.

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp gets some new footage. Voice acting for all the characters is available. There's a fast forward button and a turn reset for when you make mistakes. You can create custom maps, or battle friends with your army over online and local multiplayer. April 8 launch.

No Man's Sky is coming to the Switch. Summer release.

Mario Strikers Battle League is the revival of the Mario Strikers series. A violent soccer game where you can decimate your foes with electric fences, power ups, and tackles. This game has equipment you can give to your characters. Hyper strikes now require you to grab an orb on the field. You can score two goals at once. It has up to 8 player multiplayer. Online play is available, along with a ranked mode. You can create a soccer club with your friends to play against other ranked teams. Launches June 10.

Splatoon is up next. There's a new boss. You can throw eggs into a goal net to win. Splatoon 3 Salmon Runn: Next Wave. This is the new co-op mode for the upcoming Splatoon game. The game still lacks a solid release date, but will be out this summer.

Front Mission 1st is a remake of the SRPG Front Mission. Releases this summer as well. Front Mission 2 is also getting remade. The first game is from the Super Famicom.

Next is a Disney themed racing kart game. Mickey, Mulan, and Sully are in the game. Each character has special power ups and karts. Disney Speedstorm.

Star Wars the Force Unleased. Has enhanced motion controls compared to the Wii version. Launches April 20th.

Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection is also headed to the Switch. All three of the ACII trilogy is included. Has Switch exclusive features like HD rumble and touch screen controls. Launches Feb 17.

SD Gundam Battle Alliance lets you play as three mobile suits and fight bad guys. It has online co-op. Launches this year.

Chrono Cross is getting remastered for the Switch. Includes the text based Radical Dreamers game. April 7 release.

The new Kirby game has some new footage. Now Kirby can use mouthful mode where he doesn't fully absorb things, but can still use them. Like eating a car and driving a car-Kirby around, or consuming a vending machine. You can take exisiting copy abilities and make them better by expanding their range and power. March 25.

MLB The Show 22 is on the Switch.

Kingdom Hearts is coming to the Switch, but only as cloud streaming versions. Tomorrow.

Klonoa is back. A remaster of both 1 and 2. Launches July 8th.

Portal: Companion Collection. Has both Portal 1 and 2, with 2 having online and local co-op. Available this year.

Live A Live is also getting a remaster. This is the first time it's coming to the west. It's in HD 2D like Octopath. July 22.

Wii Sports is getting a sequel. Switch Sports has tennis, bowling, chambara, and three new sports: soccer, There's a shootout mode. Badminton. Volleyball, too. Local and online. Random matchmaking is a feature as well. April launch, with a free update coming out later that offers golf.

There's going to be an online playtest for Switch Sports from Feb 18-20.

The new Taiko no Tatsujin is headed west and onto the Switch. Megalovania is in this game and the Zelda theme. There's new concert mode for four players at once. There's also a VS mode. Taiko Rhythm Festival is out this year. You can pay monthly to access over 500 songs.

Triangle Strategy has some new story content to show. There's a demo that goes up to chapter 3, and your progress will carry over to the full game.

Cuphead's Delicious Last Course DLC will be on the Switch, adding a new playable character and new levels on June 30th.

Metroid Dread is getting a one-hit mode. Dread Mode and Rookie Mode are coming to the game. Launches today. A further update adds a boss rush mode, coming April.

Switch Online is getting something new. EarthBound. EarthBound Beginnings, too, which was previously only on the Wii U in the west.

Zombie Army 4, GetsuFumaDen, Demon Slayer, LEGO Brawls, Two Point Campus. All third party upcoming games.

Mario Kart news. Paid DLC is coming to MK8 Deluxe, featuring older games' courses. Coconut Mall is shown. Booster Course Pass has 6 waves of new courses, 8 in each courses, launching through 2023. $24.99 for the whole pass. It's free for Switch Online Expansion users.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the final reveal. September 2022 launch.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I would agree with you, if they don't port everything to Tour.
Spoilers: they will, because all tracks shown were made for Tour.
most of the tracks are returning tracks, they were made for older mario kart games not for tour lol
Sure there will be some tour tracks too but you cant say those tracks were made for tour when they existed way before tour on older mario kart games...

Last edited by pedro702,

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
most of the tracks are returning tracks, they were made for older mario kart games not for tour lol
Sure there will be some tour tracks too but you cant say those tracks were made for tour when they existed way before tour on older mario kart games...
I don't think you get what I mean by that, every single track shown (and probably the remaining 40 tracks from this season pass) are made for Tour, including those tracks that are not playble in Tour yet (Coconnut Mall and Shroom Ridge), the inconsistent art style make it evident.

If the tracks were redesigned to better suit Mario Kart 8 art style and gimmicks it would be fine, but these are literally copy and paste from Tour that you can play for free. That's my point.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
kind of overpriced when you consider CTGP-R offers even MORE tracks for essentially free (and they aren't degraded to look like the Tour artstyle either.)
I dont know if its fair to compare a fan mod for Wii with a full blown official game for Switch. If that was the case, MK8 is also overpriced in comparison (Which kinda is, but thats another topic).

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if its fair to compare a fan mod for Wii with a full blown official game for Switch. If that was the case, MK8 is also overpriced in comparison (Which kinda is, but thats another topic).
that's kind of nintendo's fault for not making their product seem as appealing as the fanmade stuff, especially when they have millions of dollars and thousands more experienced game devs, artists, and musicicans on their side

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
that's kind of nintendo's fault for not making their product seem as appealing as the fanmade stuff, especially when they have millions of dollars and thousands more experienced game devs, artists, and musicicans on their side
Well, tbh fanmade things are many times made to appeal directly to the fandom. Personally, while i do like fan made tracks, i end up prefering Nintendo made designs much more, but thats just me.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is everybody hating on the MK8DX DLC?
Look, the game is to this day still selling very well. Nintendo would be stupid to split the userbase into a potential MK9 and MK8DX. I too was hoping for MK9, well knowing how unlikely it is in this generation.

I think the DLC Pack is the best thing Nintendo could have done.

Now, about Nintendo beeing lazy: Yes, the tracks are 1:1 Ports from the MK Tour app. Texturing seems a bit better (Tour uses mostly vertex colours if I remember correctly) but the geometry is 1 to 1 the same.

HOWEVER, at ~50 cent for a track (or even for "free" if you have the NSO Expansion) I can forgive them for going the "easy" route, they will include 48 tracks after all.

Oh, and the MK Tour exclusives tracks will be a blast to play on a big TV with proper controls and no invisible walls on the side of the tracks. Some of them were surprisingly grat on the app.

And this whole GilverSunner thing: He/She did not have the rights to the music, Nintendo nuked the channel. Stop beeing spoiled brats thinking you deserve Video Game Music for free. And don't come me with "but there is no Soundtrack for the game" - well, create one on your own? But don't be so stupid to upload it to YT...

PS: Konami has also nuked a Bemani Music Channel that I liked to use. Sucks but they are fully within their rights to do so. Nintendo just gets more exposure when they nuke a channel.

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On one side it is because the quality of the content is dubious, on the other side it is because it is Mario Kart 8 once again.

It is that simple.

Ehh...the quality is not dubious. Nintendo is not hiding that the new tracks are just uprezzed ports from Tour. Also, if they put the same ammount of polish they put into the MK8DX Base-Tracks we would never ever get 48 Tracks for 24,99$ (or "for free").

And what do you have against more Mario Kart 8? It's the best Mario Kart has to offer imo, no need for a MK9 that would only have ~32 tracks with half of them recycled anyway while paying 60$ in addition to some MK9 DLC that would come later.

See? It is that simple to counter argue.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Ehh...the quality is not dubious. Nintendo is not hiding that the new tracks are just uprezzed ports from Tour. Also, if they put the same ammount of polish they put into the MK8DX Base-Tracks we would never ever get 48 Tracks for 24,99$ (or "for free").
Yes, you are right, it isn't dubious, it is straight up poor quality for the standards of the base game. Like I said before, they chose quantity over quality, and it is even worse when you realize they had 5 years to work on something better (the original game was developed in about 2 years), that being a DLC or a new game.

And what do you have against more Mario Kart 8? It's the best Mario Kart has to offer imo, no need for a MK9 that would only have ~32 tracks with half of them recycled anyway while paying 60$ in addition to some MK9 DLC that would come later.
I would agree with you if it was 2017, not everyone had the chance to play Mario Kart 8 when it was exclusive to Wii U. But it is 2022, this game isn't new to anyone, by the end of this season pass it will be 10 years old, it is time to move on. And yes, a new Mario Kart would most likely have half of the tracks recycled, but it certainly would meet up the standards of the new game, with the bonus of having actual new content to enjoy. Totally different from what we are seeing with this season pass.

See? It is that simple to counter argue.
Sure.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, you are right, it isn't dubious, it is straight up poor quality for the standards of the base game. Like I said before, they chose quantity over quality, and it is even worse when you realize they had 5 years to work on something better (the original game was developed in about 2 years), that being a DLC or a new game.

I would agree with you if it was 2017, not everyone had the chance to play Mario Kart 8 when it was exclusive to Wii U. But it is 2022, this game isn't new to anyone, by the end of this season pass it will be 10 years old, it is time to move on. And yes, a new Mario Kart would most likely have half of the tracks recycled, but it certainly would meet up the standards of the new game, with the bonus of having actual new content to enjoy. Totally different from what we are seeing with this season pass.

Sure.
i never played tour so the tour tracks are new content for me because i can actually accelerate and brake and do anything i want in mk8dx, heck they should bring all tour tracks to mk8 so people can play it the right way imo.

Reactions: Kadji

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in whether they're using Demi's old translation for Radical Dreamers or if they came up with a new one.
I don't know if you got your answer, but I compared two screenshots, it's not Demiforce's version.

Square-enix version (found on PSN) first, and Demi's version on the second screen.
RadicalD_Squenix.png
RadicalD_Demi.png

Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi