Nintendo Direct - February 9 - Chrono Cross remaster, new Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC

It's time for a Direct. Sit down, get your hype train tickets ready, and let's see what's going on at Nintendo.

First revealed is a new Fire Emblem Warriors game, based on Three Houses. It's titled Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. It features Dimitri, Edelgard, and Claude. June 24, 2022 launch. Takes place in the same universe as Three Houses.

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp gets some new footage. Voice acting for all the characters is available. There's a fast forward button and a turn reset for when you make mistakes. You can create custom maps, or battle friends with your army over online and local multiplayer. April 8 launch.

No Man's Sky is coming to the Switch. Summer release.

Mario Strikers Battle League is the revival of the Mario Strikers series. A violent soccer game where you can decimate your foes with electric fences, power ups, and tackles. This game has equipment you can give to your characters. Hyper strikes now require you to grab an orb on the field. You can score two goals at once. It has up to 8 player multiplayer. Online play is available, along with a ranked mode. You can create a soccer club with your friends to play against other ranked teams. Launches June 10.

Splatoon is up next. There's a new boss. You can throw eggs into a goal net to win. Splatoon 3 Salmon Runn: Next Wave. This is the new co-op mode for the upcoming Splatoon game. The game still lacks a solid release date, but will be out this summer.

Front Mission 1st is a remake of the SRPG Front Mission. Releases this summer as well. Front Mission 2 is also getting remade. The first game is from the Super Famicom.

Next is a Disney themed racing kart game. Mickey, Mulan, and Sully are in the game. Each character has special power ups and karts. Disney Speedstorm.

Star Wars the Force Unleased. Has enhanced motion controls compared to the Wii version. Launches April 20th.

Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection is also headed to the Switch. All three of the ACII trilogy is included. Has Switch exclusive features like HD rumble and touch screen controls. Launches Feb 17.

SD Gundam Battle Alliance lets you play as three mobile suits and fight bad guys. It has online co-op. Launches this year.

Chrono Cross is getting remastered for the Switch. Includes the text based Radical Dreamers game. April 7 release.

The new Kirby game has some new footage. Now Kirby can use mouthful mode where he doesn't fully absorb things, but can still use them. Like eating a car and driving a car-Kirby around, or consuming a vending machine. You can take exisiting copy abilities and make them better by expanding their range and power. March 25.

MLB The Show 22 is on the Switch.

Kingdom Hearts is coming to the Switch, but only as cloud streaming versions. Tomorrow.

Klonoa is back. A remaster of both 1 and 2. Launches July 8th.

Portal: Companion Collection. Has both Portal 1 and 2, with 2 having online and local co-op. Available this year.

Live A Live is also getting a remaster. This is the first time it's coming to the west. It's in HD 2D like Octopath. July 22.

Wii Sports is getting a sequel. Switch Sports has tennis, bowling, chambara, and three new sports: soccer, There's a shootout mode. Badminton. Volleyball, too. Local and online. Random matchmaking is a feature as well. April launch, with a free update coming out later that offers golf.

There's going to be an online playtest for Switch Sports from Feb 18-20.

The new Taiko no Tatsujin is headed west and onto the Switch. Megalovania is in this game and the Zelda theme. There's new concert mode for four players at once. There's also a VS mode. Taiko Rhythm Festival is out this year. You can pay monthly to access over 500 songs.

Triangle Strategy has some new story content to show. There's a demo that goes up to chapter 3, and your progress will carry over to the full game.

Cuphead's Delicious Last Course DLC will be on the Switch, adding a new playable character and new levels on June 30th.

Metroid Dread is getting a one-hit mode. Dread Mode and Rookie Mode are coming to the game. Launches today. A further update adds a boss rush mode, coming April.

Switch Online is getting something new. EarthBound. EarthBound Beginnings, too, which was previously only on the Wii U in the west.

Zombie Army 4, GetsuFumaDen, Demon Slayer, LEGO Brawls, Two Point Campus. All third party upcoming games.

Mario Kart news. Paid DLC is coming to MK8 Deluxe, featuring older games' courses. Coconut Mall is shown. Booster Course Pass has 6 waves of new courses, 8 in each courses, launching through 2023. $24.99 for the whole pass. It's free for Switch Online Expansion users.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the final reveal. September 2022 launch.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if they'll bring back the payment methods for Wii Sports Club on the Switch version, coz that was fantastic vfm...../s

MK8 Tracks.... that's one way of killing off the MK9 rumours! 'Free' for me so it's good news - bit unsure, despite being a fan of the mobile game for some reason (I've still not figured out why!) on the inclusion of the real world style tracks - they're mostly shite to be honest, would've preferred more SNES tracks remade (that's how bad they are!) - screams a bit of lazyness, but I'm still happy.

Portal 1+2? Klonoa remakes!? :wub:

Kirby still looking great, not sure about the new powers though: Jesus H he's completely OP without them, let's make him even worse...

MLB The Show on Switch? Well it came out on Xbox last year so no big surprise... getting its own slot in the Direct, with clear showing of the PlayStation logo to boot (and Destiny staying multiplatform), hmmm...

Great Direct all in all though, lots to look forward to!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am really starting to hate Mario Kart 8, any version of it.

I still love it and run at least 2 or 3 races online every day, but it's an 8 year old game. Yeah, it got the upgrade on Switch, but still ... 2014. And with this DLC pack, I guess it's pretty safe to say Nintendo intends to milk it for at least 2 - 4 more years.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, I'm absolutely hype for an HD remaster of Chrono Cross, and to see that they're throwing in a remaster of Radical Dreamers -- a Satellaview-only kinetic novel tie-in between CT and CC -- with English voices kind of really makes it worth it. Live A Live as well, finally getting an official English version overseas and with that Octopath style sprite and art glowup, that's a curve ball I'm thrilled to see.

ON THE OTHER HAND, we can't discuss this without discussing the elephant in the room. GilvaSunner's channel got nuked by Nintendo being zealots with their copyright takedowns and it's fucking bullshit that they can keep doing that and not offer us any legal way to stream the soundtracks or original sound versions of the music from their backlog of games on their systems as recompense. And I refuse to acknowledge anything positive from them these days without taking this and other negatives into consideration as well.

Fucking do better, Nintendo. But that's hellbound to fall on deaf ears to you, you fucking Moonrace sons of bitches...

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, i saw the direct yestrday, was bored for the "most part".

very little intertesting stuff to see for me,

but i liked the following:

1) Fire Emblem Warriors: 3H June 24, 2022,
a typical warroirs styled game like zelda orginal/BOTW AC, & FEW 1. but with solely FE 3H :)
can't for for this in june :) must buy! as iwata san used to say.

2) Kirby switch Land,
looks good, kirby x mario odd engine,
already have this on my tobuylist for 2022 :) .
march 25th can't come sooner :)

3) Xenoblade 3:
this was fun to see, i've beaten XC1 a year ago, im currently going through XC2 (main), not torna yet,
so until XC3 comes out in septemeber, i'll be all done with the prev entires :)
this was coming as we had rumors/hints about a XC3 game in the works,
gamespot had an article of VA for melia who said about a XC3 game in the works was coming soon,
and that wasl ike a year or so ago after XC1 was done on switch.

4) metriod dread update:
this is cool, i still haven't got dread yet, lol, but this update will make the game even better, more like even easier, less stress free to beat thorugh, this year, i'vve got many siwtch games on my bakclog sundeenly to get through lol, and most are from 21.

what i didn't like on this direct:

1) kh colletinon for switch looks nice, would have been nice but... it's funcking "cloud" GD!
do yourself a big favour and odn't buy this shit, cloud gmaing, let alone cloud + online constant sucks,
they should have made a complete pyhiscal(cart) form of this colletion instead!
more ppl would have bought it that way, but no, they went the pussy, gay way and relased kh on cloud version.
good thing i have my kh I/II & III anf all on ps4 in discs :) it's 10000x better than this cloud nonsence shit for switch.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow these remakes/remasters look so low-effort. Super hyped for new Mario Strikers and Kirby Forgotten Land though.
When I was watching the Direct and Chrono Cross came up, I was kind of like, "it doesn't really look remastered". As is the case with FF8 and 9, it's easy to remember these games as always looking at least this good, but the original models are far uglier. I watched the Chrono Cross segment again and the models are indeed new/touched up, probably only for playable and important storyline characters. It's hard for me to immediately tell if they've done anything with the prerendered backgrounds or not, but there are new versions of some of the music which is arguably the most redeeming aspect of CC in the first place. The level of effort isn't ideal, but there's at least some work there unlike the FF7 port which is just HD polygons and new eyes for Cloud.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I still love it and run at least 2 or 3 races online every day, but it's an 8 year old game. Yeah, it got the upgrade on Switch, but still ... 2014. And with this DLC pack, I guess it's pretty safe to say Nintendo intends to milk it for at least 2 - 4 more years.

Is a Wii U game! Nintendo didn't even bother to make a new Mario Kart for the Switch and is gonna be full of overpriced DLC! Again!

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That was s shit show!! Just crap! And akward to watch. Plaging volleyball WTF!!
well they couldnt play Wii Switch Sports Soccer, it'd steal Mario Strikers thunder.

I thought it would have been a good show if there was more surprises, 90%. of the stuff was announced and/or already known about.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the most "remember when" Direct ever
MLB The Show on Switch? Well it came out on Xbox last year so no big surprise... getting its own slot in the Direct, with clear showing of the PlayStation logo to boot (and Destiny staying multiplatform), hmmm...

Great Direct all in all though, lots to look forward to!
Is Switch even as powerful as Xbox One? That was why I assumed The Show didn’t come to Switch last year. The Switch version would have needed to be downgraded too much in terms of visuals.

Glad to see a Switch version occur though. I haven’t owned a Sony console since the ps3, so this will be my first time playing The Show in years. Hopefully handheld mode will have a tolerable frame rate.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
what? 25 euros for 48 tracks is overpriced? lol that is 52 cents a track...

Is half of what a not so old game game cost digital. Heck there are many great Steam and Gog games at that price or lower.

Also is just DLC, Mario Kart 8 is a game from 2014. Deluxe is just that plus the old DLC. Now even more DLC for a game that unlike previous Mario Karts you can't play online for free?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is half of what a not so old game game cost digital. Heck there are many great Steam and Gog games at that price or lower.

Also is just DLC, Mario Kart 8 is a game from 2014. Deluxe is just that plus the old DLC. Now even more DLC for a game that unlike previous Mario Karts you can't play online for free?
that is not overpriced no matter what way you look at it tough...

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splatoon 3 looks cool, Forgotten lands looks like the best kirby thing since super star ultra, bayonetta 3 as usual looked great and i'm intruiged about triangle strategy. switch sports looks fucking awful though
Actually not a bad direct tbh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.