Nintendo Direct February 17, 2021 - roundup

Beginning in just ten minutes is a long-awaited Nintendo Direct. This is a major event, as the last main Nintendo Direct, without Partner Showcase or single-game focused labels occurred last on September 4, 2019. Be sure to catch this one live, or if you can't, keep an eye on this thread, because even though it's been over 500 days since the last one, as always, GBAtemp is here to cover them live and round up all the best announcements in one place.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Pyra joins Super Smash Bros. Along with a transformation into Mithra. Rex appears in her final smash attack.

Nintendo talks about not having been able to have a real Nintendo Direct for quite some time, but the company is excited for today's announcements.

The latest Smash DLC will release in March.

Fall Guys is coming to the Switch. Summer 2021.

Outer Wilds is also getting a Switch port. You get 22 minutes to explore a solar system before it gets destroyed. You then repeat your journey and find mysteries and a way to save the universe. Available this Summer.

Two Famicom Detective Club games make their way to the west for the first time in a remake. You'll need to figure out cases and culprits in these games. May 14th launch.

Samurai Warriors 5 announced. It focuses on Nobunaga and features a new art style. Summer launch.

Legend of Mana is getting a remake. June 24. Comes with a remastered soundtrack and new features.

A spider-like creature and other foes are shown off in a teaser for Monster Hunter: Rise. March 26. A limited edition console and Pro Controller will be available in the west.

A new Mario Golf. There are several modes, including speed golf. You race through the course to be the first to finish. There's also a story mode, and you can level up your custom character with stats. Mario Golf: Super Rush arrives June 25.

Tales from the Borderlands arrives on the Switch. March 24.

Capcom Arcade Stadium. Classic games like 1943, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Street Fighter II and Strider will be available. Releases today.

Play as a zombie trying to take over in Rebel Without a Pulse.

No More Heroes 3 has aliens. You'll need to do menial tasks to have the chance to fight bosses. Lots of new skills. August 27.

Neon White has you assassinate demons in heaven. It's a first person game. You have cards that dictate your attacks. Winter 2021.

DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power announced. June 4.

Plants Vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville Complete Edition releases March 19. Has an offline mode, or online multiplayer.

3DS game Miitopia is getting a port to the Switch. May 21.

Super Mario items will be in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Clothes and furniture can be bought with Nook Points. You can use Warp Pipes to teleport on your island, even. Feb 25.

Octopath Traveler-styled "HD 2D" RPG Project Triangle Strategy. It's a grid-based strategy RPG similar to Fire Emblem. You'll have points in the story that will change the outcome based on utility, morality, and liberty. Your playable characters will change based on that as well. 2022. A demo is available now.

Star Wars Hunters will be a third-person shooter that's free to play. Zynga is developing.

Knockout City is an online battle royale where you throw giant bombs at your enemies and pass between your teammates. May 21. Velan Studios is developing.

World's End Club is made by both the Zero Escape and Danganronpa writers. May 28.

Hades is getting a physical release. Comes with an artbook, OST, and the game cart itself. March 19.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma, 2, and 3 are all going to be bundled in Ninja Gaiden Master Collection. Comes with all DLC. June 10.

Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is getting an Expansion Pass.

Bravely Default 2 launches Feb 26. New demo available.

Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection is releasing this month, Feb 25.

SaGa Frontier Remastered comes with new gameplay tweaks and graphics. April 15.

Apex Legends hits March 9.

Breath of the Wild 2 gets NO news.

However, Skyward Sword is coming to Switch. Skyward Sword released 10 years ago. The motion controls have been improved with the Joy-Cons. Button controls also exist. Tilt the right control stick to swing the sword in specific ways. July 16.

Skyward Sword Joy-Cons will be sold.

We end on a final game.

Splatoon 3 announced. 2022.

Biggest Reveals

• Skyward Sword HD announced, now has button controls. Launches July 16th.
  • Pyra/Mithra join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
  • Breath of the Wild 2 has no new information to discuss.
  • Legend of Mana is getting a remake.
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush announced.
  • Project Triangle Strategy is the Octopath Traveler development team's latest game.
  • No More Heroes 3 launches this August.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well this direct was nice, most of it for me is uninteresting,
but i found the zelda skyward wsword HD asweome!

lol, i knew that it was coming, and some other users here stated the same,
lol you guys were right on that, woh, how did you know? haha.

also, at frist i thought since it's using the same control scheme as the wii version (motions for sowrd/sheild)
i thought that it won't work on lite as it doesn't have deattched joycons, so it might not be playable on switch lite like how mario party is,

but, nintendo being nintendo made it work for lites also, thank you nintendo! (speciicly anonuma and friends!)
also, i dkn about you, but i had i feeling that nintendo would use the same scheeme on lites for the motion contorls like dolphin emu uses
(IR = right stick),
lol, it should work okay on switch lite? using the right stick for sword and other motions like loftwing?

not surre how good this scheme for lite is or will be, it mght be better than dolphin's IR motion method?

im excited for this hD port, since i can't play the ogrinal on dolphin andriod, so this is a pickup for me in juliy.

also, since it's HD, does that mean that it plays in 720p handheld and 1080p on tv?

well on dolphin, you can play the orginal wii ver in 720p & 1080p resoultion already.
unless they use something totaly diffrent from dolphin's reosultion?

anwys,
the other games like legend of mana are nice, but to me it looks like a port of the game from ps1 to swicth, (it looks the same like on ps1), im skipping this as i can play the orginal on my vita. plus it doesn't seem like a "remake" as they state in the direct,
trials of mana was a remake, and that was aswome, legend not so much.

the BD, we already know this is coming, so it was not nessary to show info on games that we already know of, and it was coming next week. they should have added something else tin the spot instead.

good thing SS is coming in juliy as it doesn't conflict with my current WTB Games list.
can't wait for it, i still got my orginal game and zelda 25th wii remote from 10 years ago.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Theres only 2 things on here that I'm interested in. Skyward sword just to see how the normal controls are and the Ninja Gaiden games. Never finished skyward sword and the Ninja Gaiden games. Might check out mario golf, maybe.

yeah, me too, specfifily for SS HD, as i never got to finsh the orginal on wii, i got stuck on (final) giriahim boss fight.
also i can't play it on dolphin andriod as it is super bad and slow with many issues :( .

so im excited for this on switch!

but, i wonder what this reveal of SS HD on switch means for zelda 35th? is it still coming or happening or will it be canceled?

i mean, we now know offical that SS will not be in the zelda 35th all-star collec, if that ends up happening,
but that could mean that for zelda 35th, we might get the rumored "Hero of the winds trilogy"?
(Windwaker, Phantom Glass & Spirit Tracks). (toon link saga) game.

i hope this SS reveal doesn't mean anonuma and friends forget about zelda 35th and pass it by with nothing?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I only hope they make some quality of life improvements for SS..
Please don't make me fight the Imprisoned Turd three times :/
Make the Monsters inc boss better. ha
Throw a pity Dungeon in the sky or at least pad the sky out with something. (maybe a Cave of Ordeals type thing similar to Twilight Princess?)
Dowsing... Y you do this? (Zohan voice)

Last edited by ploggy,
D

Deleted User

and here i was thinking i would see Metroid 4 - Shin Megami Tensei - Bionetta 3

instead they show me More Crap Ports

i was even prepared to buy a Switch Pro for Monster Hunter Raise, but nope no Console Upgrades Either

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo is responsible for picking which characters get added in Smash Sakurai is only responsible for making the character work in Smash. (Surprised there are still people who thinks Sakurai picks which characters)

While we are correcting Chary's post...

Should be a remaster, since all Squenix is just up the visual, added new arrangement to the soundtrack, few new quality of life improvements, and added a new mini game which is almost like Chocobo World.

Also, for those that are complaining there is no news about Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2, I agree. They should totally pull a Cyberpunk 2077 (ie. showing gameplay and whatnot), which will make people think the game is close to being ready even though it's no where near ready. Then they should release the game early (in beta state), but sell it for full price. I'm sure a lot of people will be more than happy to see that, yes? :D
nintendon its actualy one of the very few publishers that ,makes complete games on release, almost all their games if they need some patches they are tiny patche here and there.

Last edited by pedro702,

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nintendon its actualy one of the very few publishers that ,makes complete games on release, almost all their games if they need some patches they are tiny patche here and there.
If you are replying to the last part in my message (about Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2), I was being sarcastic and the message was meant to all those that are complaining about no news on both of these games.

But if I were to seriously comment on why there is no news on these games, it is because Nintendo usually post new updates only if the games are close to done.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that bad of a direct honestly. Especially when comparing them to the directs we got back in 2014
Yes, there was some decent stuff in there to be certain, but I guess the anticipation at large is for some solid information on new, first party hard hitters. We basically got that Splatoon 3 is releasing eventually next year and that BotW2 hasn't been entirely forgotten.

AJarOfMayo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we don't need splatoon 3, we need more content for splatoon 2

i hate it when nintendo sees playerbases drop and just go "oh, people don't care about this game anymore, let's make a new one"

Reactions: UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we don't need splatoon 3, we need more content for splatoon 2

i hate it when nintendo sees playerbases drop and just go "oh, people don't care about this game anymore, let's make a new one"
Direct 2-17-21 Thumb.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm