Nintendo Direct delayed due to earthquake in Hokkaido, Japan

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Greymane

Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Jul 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    In your closet, watching you clop
    Depending on where in the netherlands, we go partialy underwater about every few years.

2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    im guessing the direct will be pushed back by a long margin probably weeks, sadly i was expecting it, but japan is prepared for this situations so i bet there wont be that much damage and life loss since their infrastructures all are all anti-seismic.

3. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot ...The Nintendo DSi, am I right?

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I'm relaxed, but when a typhoon was near Rotterdam, I would run away and pack as many belongings and stuff to survive on, even if nothing happens near my home.

4. Axmand

Axmand Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Venezuela
    Really bad thing, hope they can recover from this tragedy fast...

5. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    hold up someone said it was stronger than the one a week ago isn't aftershocks suppose to be weaker or was this a whole new quake? did some googling weaker main quakes are recatigorized as foreshocks

Last edited by chrisrlink, Sep 6, 2018
  6. FEF1

FEF1 Sleep deprived sarcastic comments all the time!

Aug 22, 2018
    United States
    Someplace
    When I was scrolling through the news feed, I thought for sure that this said that Ninty of Japans president was killed. So glad that didn’t happen, but this is still kinda sad that 9 people died.

7. garyopa

garyopa Admin @ MaxConsole

Apr 25, 2009
    Canada
    Tropical Island
    All Japan needs to do to prevent more earthquakes and aftershocks, is hire a bunch of firmware coders, they are always making 'stability patches and updates', maybe they can use that great talent towards making their Japan island more stable.

(I know, its joke, and is not trying to offend anyone, earthquakes are serious, and hope everyone gets found and help they need)

RedBlueGreen, Larsenv and DuoForce like this.
  8. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You are awful.

Sinon and Larsenv like this.
  9. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    People died, and many have lost their homes in this earthquake. It is not something to joke about.

Sinon likes this.
  10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    To be honest, people died, and Hokkaido is pretty messed up, yet I can barely resist the urge to joke about the earthquake and delays.
    What an awful human being.
    A human being even?
    I don't know.
    I can only say that it's hard.
    Hmmm... self restraint. Come forth!

Well, at least there was no Tsunami. And no nuclear plant melt down. For now it is.
    Not because there was no emergency, but because this time around the backup power for the ticking bomb was working right. For now it is.
    So greater crisis averted I guess. The nuclear fuel rods on Tomari are being prevented to melt down thanks to working backup power.
    I guess the electric companies learned something from Fukushima... Or Hokuden is less shitty than Tepco.

11. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    Let's be real here if you would die suddenly what would you wish your family and friends to do? Mourn over you for week or go on with life (even more so if its a random person you didnt even know personally).
    I also don't see anything wrong with his joke, he didn't directly joke on the dead persons but about the earthquake itself.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Fukushima had working backup system just nobody who knew how to activate them. All that was needed was the opening of a valve basicly and the crisis could have been averted from what I remember from a Doku.

Last edited by ken28, Sep 6, 2018
    Larsenv and DuoForce like this.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wow, really, you're joking about this? Not cool, man, not cool.

Sinon likes this.
  13. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Okay this was actually funny lmfao

Last edited by DuoForce, Sep 6, 2018
    RedBlueGreen and Larsenv like this.
  14. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    What saddens me even more is seeing people being incredibly impatient and literally saying stuff like "It's only in Japan, why not release it everywhere else?" and such. Japan's culture is extremely respectful one to eachother, and this is much more than expected. Taking words from what i've seen other people saying, people's lives and health are much more important than videogames. I literally really hope this direct gets re-announced soon, but i understand why Nintendo would do such thing.

15. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Something like 90% of sales are at Christmas. Or as asshats call it "holiday". Also 90% was just pulled out of my ass, just like 247% of all statistics, but it's still why stuff happens in fall a lot, because of Christmas coming. BTW, it's currently summer, fall doesn't come until the end of the month unless you're like in Australia or some place, but then it would be spring coming soon and currently winter.

16. ladypoodle

ladypoodle GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2009
    United States
    Prayers and recovery for Japan. Hope they are all safe.

As for those who only cared about the conference alone (even in twitter as well, too many entitled twats in there), here is an image representing them:
    [​IMG]

17. WildDog

WildDog GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    Netherlands
    Sadly the Island is in the ring of fire and in a very bad position. The same day all countries within the ring where hit with sismic activiting, Japan the worst, then Chile, Ecuador, Australia, etc.

18. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I find it par for the course for a country sitting on the ring of fire to experience earthquakes and tsunamis. It's obnoxious they would make such things an excuse for delays that affect the world. As if everyone else isn't suffering. Hold the phone, an earthquake hurt some Japanese people! Sure hope video games aren't your only source of succor.