Nintendo Did It Again - Alert to all working on a Internet crash

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JaronMatthewHigg, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaronMatthewHigg
    OP

Newcomer JaronMatthewHigg Advanced Member

United States
    Apparently, the last couple of updates has blocked a Internet Browser crash. So, news spread around of the buffer overflow that would temporarily crash the Internet Browser, and Nintendo found out! Now, as soon as the 3DS detected a Internet Browser crash, it will bring you back to the HOME menu and will display a message. Now for anyone working on a buffer overflow hack, halt your processes!

Now Nintendo has taken it WAY to far! They are trying everything to keep the 3DS systems out of it's hacking scene. They always have something to say about our favorite unlicensed hardware. Action Replays "enable piracy" they say. They are just cheat systems. And what's the deal with trying to protect OUR systems, when some of us payed our own $200 for it. We should be able to do whatever we want to do to it, right? It's ours and we payed for it. You created it and we payed for it, so we are free to do anything to it.

Now that buffer overflow is out of the way, we have to work on the impossible, like music and video crashes. And I don't like it! It's all because of Nosetendo!

2. Ace Overclocked

Member Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Italy
    So these days protecting your system is going too far?
    It's their job to do that, name a single company that doesn't want to protect their product?
    Gbatemp's flawed logic...

6 people like this.
  3. beta4attack

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    They are only trying to protect their sales you know. Just saying. I mean, how would you feel if you are losing money because of piracy, wouldn't you too try to stop it with all costs?

EDIT: Ninja'd by above post :ninja:

4. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    And where's the harm in that? They're trying to MINIMIZE the damage (or even erase it) from that crash.
    For lots of gamers, chetas would absolutely RUIN the online experience.
    They may not do this for YOU! But they're doing it for the others that can't hack.
    If you don't like it then tough luck for you, all the others companiers are doing it. I'm even surprised they haven't started taking measures like banning cheaters online. (And who knows, they may do it in the future)

2 people like this.
  5. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the fuck did i just read in the OP

6 people like this.
  6. matt382

Member matt382 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry, I just lost it when I read that...

Of course they are keeping it out of the hacking scene. It's like saying - "I hate banks because they focus on security so that no one breaks in and steals all my money."

10 people like this.
  7. isaac52

Member isaac52 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It sucks it won't be hacked anytime soon, but not only do i understand the defense against it, I'm surprisingly okay with it as it means i can enjoy online and developers will be less afraid to make games for the 3ds.

If nintendo can keep piracy out of the equation entirely, it is possible the 3ds could actually generate more profit than the DS did in it's lifetime.

8. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    So let me get this straight. Nintendo sees a bug, then tries to fix it.
    Ok now, where is the fucking problem?

7 people like this.
  9. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    The crash wasn't exploitable anyway; there was no way to inject code. I'd wager that they didn't even fix it on purpose, but as a by-product of improving the browser's memory management. Several websites I've visited in the browser have had issues without even using the exploit. The browser is Access' baby, NetFront, so it could have even been an improvement made to their codebase that was rolled out to other devices too. I'm not sure if you've noticed or not, but the browser's version increases every time there is a software update, so it's likely that ongoing improvements are made by Access and then sent over to Nintendo for inclusion with the next firmware release.

So... yeah... quit your whining!

10. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I dont understand why we should hate Nintendo for this. They have right to enhance security as many as they want, they just cant sue people (in my opinion), which is not the case.

11. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    God damnit Nintendo! How dare you actually patch a bug to make my 3ds experience better.

2 people like this.
  12. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    OP obviously doesn't know what a buffer overflow actually is.

13. Sonic4Ever

Member Sonic4Ever GBAtemp Regular

France
    op

stop posting

2 people like this.
  14. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Cheats are something that people that actually enjoy a game will rarely use, I mean... Where's the fun in cheating? It takes all the fun out of the game. -.-
    Also... They just fixed a bug, it was a good thing... If they hadn't fixed it, people would go on complaning how Nintendo doesn't fix their bugs.

1 person likes this.
  15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    There are a lot of morons on this site, but seriously you're fighting for the crown right now.

I never thought i'd see the day that someone complained that a company was FIXING BUGS. Dear freaking god no wonder so many pirates give up piracy. Being lumped together with an idiot like this makes me feel really ashamed.

3 people like this.
  16. reaper527

Member reaper527 GBAtemp Regular

United States

and why exactly should anyone working on it halt the progress if progress was actually being made? just because people who update to the newest version right away would be out of luck? IF this was an exploitable hole (i haven't read about it to find out), the hacking scene shouldn't stop their progress just because an exploit wouldn't benefit YOU.

the jtag hack for the xbox360 was patched a few days before it got released. that didn't stop a flood of jtag hacked 360's from getting out there. (and for those that don't follow x360, the jtag hack was the first hack for the x360 that allowed unsigned code to run, aka homebrew)

1 person likes this.
  17. Shin Akuma

Member Shin Akuma GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Im a bit confused.. :s
    so the OP's problem is that they make Cheats unavailable in online games? Or that they fix this stupid slow browser? that doesnt even support youtube? i hope it uses more ram to go faster on new later updates cause it takes ages even with 24Mbps lines.
    On top of that some sites(wikias) wont even load..

1 person likes this.
  18. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Just stop.

1 person likes this.
  19. RyuKisargi

Member RyuKisargi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some cheats make the game experience a lot better. For example would be the codes that unlock the quests in DQIX (( I had no WiFi and no local WiFI at the time I had that title )) to the code that let you get to the island in Animal Crossing GC. Cheaters ruin it by bringing their crap online in Pokemon and stuff, and that's why people have the opinion that it takes all the fun out of the game.

20. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Can someone just ban this guy already?

@OP: That's been fixed for a long time. It was useless and I like it better this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.