Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
V48B8.jpg

Free-to-play gaming has been a recent development in gaming. The model allows users to play the majority of the game for free, but uses microtransactions to make a profit. From MMOs like Star Wars: The Old Republic (which recently went F2P) or even small handheld games like Jetpack Joyride and Temple Run, this new model of business has both its fans and its haters. However, it looks like Nintendo may be joining the fray, eluding to a new franchise based in free-to-play.

[prebreak]Continue reading...[/prebreak]

In an interview with Nikkei, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata discussed that, with the technology now available, digital distribution is a reality, as is microtransactions. In his interview, translated by NeoGAF, "We [as an industry] can now do distribution by digital means as well as micro-transactions, and the ways to obtain money through supporting entertainment have increased...Therefore, I have no intention of denying charged games, or the free-to-play model."

If you suddenly got riled up thinking of a Mario where you have to buy coins or a Pokemon where you have to buy your Pokeballs with real money, Iwata clarified that he is "not talking about changing how we sell Mario or Pokemon." This would most likely mean a new franchise based on the F2P model.

You can read the full interview below at the NeoGAF source, which also discusses the new Animal Crossing, albeit in a more business sense that a gameplay one.

:arrow: Source

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
POKEMON ONLINE WOOOHOO!
That would be great if u ask me and it could be connected with the news that we're gonna get tomorrow.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
POKEMON ONLINE WOOOHOO!
That would be great if u ask me and it could be connected with the news that we're gonna get tomorrow.

If you suddenly got riled up thinking of a Mario where you have to buy coins or a Pokemon where you have to buy your Pokeballs with real money, Iwata clarified that he is "not talking about changing how we sell Mario or Pokemon." This would most likely mean a new franchise based on the F2P model.

Reading is hard, I know.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
The real question is 'can Nintendo come up with a new franchise that their fans won't compare unfavourably to Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or Metroid (or arguably Kirby)?'.
I think no, somehow.
I am not a fan of the microtransactions model, as it is easy to fling more money than you should at something that is substandard at best. Maybe Ninty will buck the trend? Maybe a Layton game that is free for 50 puzzles and one chapter? Or maybe they are just spouting hot air after being asked whether they think that they are under threat from games like jetpack joyride and cut the rope......

Reactions: mrnintendo15

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
If we were to talk about if Nintendo were to do that, however, I do not much inclination to do that with Nintendo's established well-known products,
I don't see Nintendo releasing a game with a free-to-play model, ever, even with new IP's.

Reactions: tatripp

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If done right, I wouldn't really mind. Games where you can only buy cosmetic enhancements and something like that, maybe a way to speed up things a bit (but not too much; if after a certain limit it becomes pretty much impossible to efficiently do stuff without paying that sucks), that could work. Of course pay2win is ridiculous and I'm pretty sure nobody wants that.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the best forms of f2p are:

>Only cosmetic purchases (no pay to win)
or/and
>One time 'premium' fee for about half the price of a normal game. This would effectively mean the f2p version is a cut down version of a full game.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From the consumer (my) perspective, Pay-to-Win is a terrible business model. I won't participate in any game that offers microtransactions that affect my in-game success.
Even if the game is awesome and the microtransactions are cheap and affordable, I will boycot it out of principle.

Now there's no reason why all F2P games need to be categorized as P2W. Valve made Team Fortress 2 F2P and there's no catch, it's free!

Reactions: Latiken

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo already announced that Free-To-Play games are against their business model and will not offer them on the WiiU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1