Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by osirisjem, Jan 17, 2014.

1. osirisjem
    OP

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    global.hardware.sales.dec.2013.jan.2014.

Uh oh. The Vita outsold the Wii U last week.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Interesting how nearly everything was cut by ~50% except the PSV, PSP and PS3.

Warrior522 and gamefan5 like this.
  3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    The only thing I find interesting in those charts is that the PS3 is outselling the Xbone.

Cortador and the_randomizer like this.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

That's impossible, the Vita has no gaemz:creep:

5. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Out of vita, ps4, and xbone the wii u has the best games out of all.

6. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

Not compared to the Vita no.

Cortador likes this.
  7. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Its a hard time for Nintendo but they will figure out a new move and comeback.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    anything can outsell that POS :P

the_randomizer likes this.
  9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Except for the Wii U, that is. ;o;

Warning: Spoilers inside!

gamefan5 and Warrior522 like this.
  10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Nintendo fanboys say the darndest things.

Foxi4 likes this.
  11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Everyone knows from the start that 9 million sales figure is unachievable. I still have no idea what Iwata was thinking when he projected Nintendo can sell 9 million units before April 2014.

Wii U hasn't flopped yet, though it will if it doesn't change. It needs major third-party support, completely revamp its online service, aggressive marketing, and most importantly, another CEO. Clearly, Iwata has been doing very little to get Nintendo competitive.

12. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    This will put an end to ninety's console days, much like Sega and the Dreamcast. They make good handhelds though!

13. Supernovakid

Supernovakid I am not new, I am Royalty

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    You guys are unbelievable. Firstly those who argue the wii u is not next gen are wrong. It has enough power to make great looking games. At least nintendo puts time into making their games, instead of adding beautiful graphics but just a rubbish campaign mode. Next, i believe it those need more third party support, but you guys are exaggerating. Who even buys these low quality third party games, most people i know who own a ps4 only play fifa, cod and sony exclusives. And also if nintendo scraps the wii u they will be ruined because people wont trust that they will make a lasting console. I remember the time when the 3ds was doomed, they always add this fake hype about a console being rubbish, but always end up contradicting themeselves when it soon becomes the best selling console. Just like the 3ds. It is mostly nintendo's fault though, because they needed to release great games like mario kart 8 and super smash bros 4 quicker, instead of almost 2 years. Once great games start to spill the consoles sales will rise significantly and third parties will start making games. Great games->More console sales->More third party games.

What is soooo epic about the ps4 and xbox1 anyway? I am not criticizing them but seriously, it is just a bit more hardware. While the wii u adds a new innovative controller, first HD nintendo console and great new games. People who say get rid of the controller are very narrow minded and do not understand (aka own a wii u) how great it is. Anyway if nintendo goes away from consoles for any reason, it will soon start to be the end of gaming, because nintendo is the backbone of gaming. Children will stop playing these lazy made third parties, adults will get tired of playing and that will be the end.

I own a wii u and i find it absolutely amazing, great graphics, gameplay and fun. Most people who hate on it have never played it or are very narrow minded people.

filfat likes this.
  14. osirisjem
    OP

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    True.
    And the only people who bought the Wii U so far are Nintendo fanboys.
    Everyone else appears to be taking a pass.

The Wii U has 3 things the Wii doesn't.
    (1) a U
    (2) a gamepad controller
    (3) HD graphics

Considering it was obvious the Wii U would have HD graphics, the main differentiating factor for the Wii U is the gamepad controller.
    The Wii U was going to live or die by it.
    And it appears it's die.

The gamepad controller is something that people don't want.

The market has spoken.

Cortador likes this.
  15. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    No one here is hating the Wii U, its simply a sales issue, and Nintendo decided to release a system that is lacking what the public wants. Times change, and I still believe Nintendo will be around for many years, just not in the console market, and the way technology is changing, these systems may be the last of consoles altogether.

16. Supernovakid

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    That is what you hear. But the people who actually say to take away the gamepad are ps4 and xbox1 fanboys, because they are so used to the classic controllers. But people who actually OWN it say it is amazing. People are not buying it for the hate that is being put onto it, but people who own it, love it.

I agree with you that sales are pretty bad, but it will improve once good games start to come out. I disagree with your second statement, i believe that nintendo will stay strong in the console market, since they have billions of dollars ready to be used to make new consoles

filfat likes this.
  17. Naridar

Naridar Excelsior!

Oct 26, 2008
    Hungary
    The console in and of itself is great, what's doing it slowly in is the lack of killer games. Sure, Mario 3D World is great and all, it's just not as big of a bang as Galaxy (which almost alone sold me a Wii back in 2008) was, DK Country tropical freeze seems just like an expansion pack to me, Zelda Wind Waker HD is nothing new, Monolith's project X is still far away (but it could be a saving throw, just look at Xenoblade), Mass Effect 3 seems to have slowly evaporated and in general, previous-gen remakes aren't enough to sell a new system for 300$.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What good games though? Super Mario 3D World? That turned out to be one of the worst-selling contemporary Mario games. Mario Kart? Smash Bros.? Sure, these will appeal to the narrow Nintendo audience. Those titles certainly didn't save the N64 or the Gamecube and they won't save the Wii U either. Bayonetta 2? As if the first one sold like hotcakes.

Nintendo needs to go out and suck some third-party d*cks - that's a fact. They need an army of exclusive titles or titles with awesome exclusive content, they need to get well-known and admired franchises on-board by whatever means necessary. They need to dish money out of their wallets to secure content that will make their experience a unique one that cannot be had anywhere else, and that goes beyond the scope of first and second party. They need to convince the consumer that playing the next Batman or the next Call of Duty on their system will be a better experience than on the competition's systems. Hell, they could even offer whole spin-off's that'd be completely unavailable to the PS4/XBox One audience.

If they cannot compete in the field of hardware, they have to compete in the field of content and value - they have to give more and they have to do it for less. It's already painfuly obvious that their system is not as future-proof as Microsoft's or Sony's offering - they have to do something that will make the investment well-worth it, something that would give Wii U players the advantage.

Cortador likes this.
  19. Supernovakid

Mar 11, 2013
    In front of a 3d screen
    I agree with you, if you had a nintendo console with nintendo exclusives and third party, then it would make the ultimate console. But still, once games start to come out, people will buy it more. Do you know how many people are saving their money for the new smash bros and new zelda. People surely want to buy a new console for that. Anyway, they do need more games, that is their major problem, not the console or the gamepad. They just made too little so far, it's been almost 3 years and so far super mario 3d world, pikmin 3 and a few other games are the only great ones. Once games start to come out, it will be an amazing console.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's the thing though - the system has at least three times less juice than its competitors. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but in a year or two developers will have to cut corners when developling software for the Wii U, just as much as they cut corners when developing software for the Wii. For this reason and this reason alone, Nintendo has to offer something extra in their package. To remain competitive, they need to balance out the lacking hardware with superior content. They can't count on the casual crowd anymore - the casual crowd is gone, fooling around with their iPhones and Android handsets - they have no interest in a tablet that they can't take with them on a trip to Starbucks.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted