Nintendo Confirms Breath of the Wild as last first party WiiU game

maxresdefault.jpg

Sad but inevitable fate for the WiiU as Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime broke the news.

Speaking to Polygon following the Switch launch event in New York City last Friday, he had the following to say: “From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of the legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” he said. “We really are at the end of life for Wii U.”

He added that Wii U titles will continue to be sold at retail and on the Nintendo eShop, and the company had not begun any discussion for ceasing online services for the console: “From our standpoint, sunsetting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”

The WiiU has been around for about four and a half years and failed to meet the expectations that the big N had for it. “Even today when I ask people, ‘so what was Wii U all about?,’ I get a wide variety of responses,” Reggie had to say on the matter. “In managing the business, that's just not good.” The company is however much more confident (hopeful?) about their upcoming console touting the slogan “a home console you can take with you".

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can't just go and patch 1000+ games to work with entirely different set of servers it doesn't work like that
For a few popular games like MK and Smash that only needed a match making server being emulated to keep everyone happy, yes they could. But of course if Nintendo wasted such chance to force people to buy their next console at the expense of their own fans respect, then they wouldn't be Nintendo.

Hey guys, remember when people got really upset over the original NX leaks and Nintendo responded by saying that they're taking a "three-pillars" approach, that the Switch will be sold concurrently with the 3DS and the Wii U and that Wii U customers needn't worry about their system becoming obsolete after a shockingly short lifespan? Yeah, about that... All PR bullshit, smoke and mirrors.

I wonder how many times Nintendo can screw over their customers before they get wiser. It's been a while now, surely they should start getting the plot by now.
Anyone still remembers this? Satoru Iwata words that later were renewed by Kimishima.

“What I want to do, I think our first job right now is to make sure that the customers, those 10 million customers who have a Wii U at home have software to play. And we need to make sure that they are satisfied with their purchase and continue to enjoy playing on this platform. So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’
Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchased Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”
https://www.nintendo-insider.com/20...rt-despite-nintendo-nx-development-shift/amp/

Everyone knows that happened after right? This is called Deceive, and i can't find another company on this market being able to get away with this like Nintendo is.

What i am even more amazed at is how NONE of these so called gaming press like Kotaku, Gamespot and lelPolygon have called Nintendo on their bullshit yet. Everyone is silently complying with it and letting they get away after outright lying to their customers and fans. You can even find some diehard fanboys defending this crap.

Last edited by Pachee,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, they would have just cancelled this for the Wii U, but they didn't. Mean, seriously. What do you expected them to do here? Try to keep the Wii U going and support the Switch? They tried their best, people didn't buy it enough and wasn't given enough support. Defeats the whole purpose of making the Switch. That is to move on and put most of their focus on one console.

Last edited by KingVamp,
Reactions: zezzo

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah...no surprise there known this for a year now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

like they kept the wii's online going...o wait

Yeah... You can't really compare the Wii with the Wii U in terms of online capabilities.

But tbh I only care for Super Mario Maker Online services, they released the 3DS version the last month. I don't see them shuting down the main source of courses for their lastest version at least for this year.

If they release a port of SMM for the Switch I'm sure that they will use the courses already made for the Wii U too, So there's hope :P

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, remember when people got really upset over the original NX leaks and Nintendo responded by saying that they're taking a "three-pillars" approach, that the Switch will be sold concurrently with the 3DS and the Wii U and that Wii U customers needn't worry about their system becoming obsolete after a shockingly short lifespan? Yeah, about that... All PR bullshit, smoke and mirrors.

I wonder how many times Nintendo can screw over their customers before they get wiser. It's been a while now, surely they should start getting the plot by now.
i wouldn't say shockingly short. 6 months quicker than their other home consoles (6 months shy of 5 years). but still shorter than theyprobably hoped.

the three pillars things was shiite though, and id say most of us didn't buy it. sony andmicrosoft said the same thing in the past. don't wanna have leftover stock or have people not buy and wait for the new stuff.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, they would have just cancelled this for the Wii U, but they didn't. Mean, seriously. What do you expected them to do here? Try to keep the Wii U going and support the Switch? They tried their best, people didn't buy it enough and wasn't given enough support. Defeats the whole purpose of making the Switch. That is to move on and put most of their focus on one console.
"They tried their best" :rolleyes: leaving the console about 1 year and half without any decent games while lying to everybody? With six months gaps between crappy releases Like SF 0, Mario Tennis and Color splash? They should at least make up for this time since it was almost half of the console's life span.

You can even find some diehard fanboys defending this crap.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"They tried their best" :rolleyes: leaving the console about 1 year and half without any decent games while lying to everybody? With six months gaps between crappy releases Like SF 0, Mario Tennis and Color splash? They should at least make up for this time since it was almost half of the console's life span.
If you think developing games for a old console while trying to developed a new console and it's games are so easy, how about trying to doing it yourself? Why should they strain themselves even more than they have already, when almost everyone (customers and devs) are ready to move on to the next console?

Funny thing is, I read the exact opposite complaint of yours. Paraphrasing, "Why are they still making games for the Wii U?" They can't win either way, can they?

Reactions: zezzo

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good. They need to stop focusing on the Wii U. The Switch needs their full attention.

Just keep the online servers up for more than 6 months, because shutting it all down would be stupid.

Do you know why the Wii and DS services went down? It wasn't really all Nintendo's fault.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But the Switch isn't gonna fix anything if it fails to sell much more than the Wii U. What is so special about the hardware? I am honestly struggling here and I must be missing something... does the switch turn into an iPad when it's not plugged into the dock? Or it's losing the touch screen and gaining the ability to push 900p's and go outside for fresh air when it gets tired? Sorry.

Last edited by kineticUk,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i wouldn't say shockingly short. 6 months quicker than their other home consoles (6 months shy of 5 years). but still shorter than theyprobably hoped.

the three pillars things was shiite though, and id say most of us didn't buy it. sony andmicrosoft said the same thing in the past. don't wanna have leftover stock or have people not buy and wait for the new stuff.
That was obviously the only reason why they said it - they needed to boost investor confidence by saying that they have a new, better system coming, but at the same time couldn't afford killing the Wii U sales just yet. As for Sony and Microsoft, they've never had three concurrently sold consoles besides transition periods at Sony, and even then they didn't imply that the next system isn't a generational leap.

Last edited by Foxi4,

zezzo

The "Black Ace"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you are using your opinion. If you want to have an argument, don't bring your opinion in. It doesn't reflect every one. @Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just remember Ninty is not behind the shutdown of WFC servers. It was because of GameSpy being bought by IGN and shit like that, so the server were shutdown. In theory the NN servers should stay forever for 3DS/Wii U online, even more if the Switch still uses NN.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But in reality it's a handheld device you can connect to your tv.
And to be honest, considering it the handheld that it is, it is the most beautiful handheld I've ever seen!
It is a pity that the launch line up is subpar, but I am still quite interested in the Switch.

PS: Also it is a cool feature to be able to connect your handheld to your tv.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)