Nintendo confirms 3DS content locked to single system

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Jan 25, 2011.

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Source

Either this man is bullshiting or Nintendo are lying on their website..... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Looks like 3DSware is locked to a single system for sure.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I just realised something.
    This means DSi firmware update 1.5

3. muckers

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Perhaps in the instance of upgrading to a future 3DS Lite or whatever there'll be an option to re-download content you've purchased already, similar to buying MP3s online - usually you can download the files multiple times from your account after buying.

Here's hoping anyway, otherwise they'll inadvertently screwing over genuine use of the store while implementing OTT piracy controls.

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    It is more similar to the system the Wii uses than the DSi's.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I don't buy anything on the Virtual Shops anyways, but you have to admit, this is a great way to combat piracy is it not?

The system is already pretty much the same size as the DS Lite.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Doesn't work on the PSP so it's not the best way to stop piracy...

7. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I think that man is talking out of his ass. I don't see why Nintendo would do such a thing. locking the games to a single system doesn't seem to benefit anyone and there's no real reason for them to do so. It would only be a waste of time on their part.

8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Yeah because have been able to download DSiWare games without buying them already right?

9. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Well not really a problem because almost all jap games have a North American release

10. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Yup, and I think they'll throw it at us right before the US Poke'launch (mar. 6) to protect their most lucrative cash crop. The 3DS launches later that month so they kill two birds with one rock.

I wonder what they mean by "some software"?

11. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    DSi 1.5 will probably be the last DSi firmware and only add this feature (+ one last attempt to block flashcards, which will fail).

I guess this transfer feature will be like the pokemon games transfer feature, once your game is on the 3DS you can't get it back (and no, you can't re-download it for free from your DSi since this will very likely connect to wifi and disable this game from your DSiware account).

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong was can send the game several times, interesting.

12. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    More like it'll remove the key or whatever from you DSi for that software so it'll no longer work [​IMG]

13. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    If this is true I won't buy anything in the eStore. I'm sick of buying stuff that's only usable on a single hardware unit. Nintendo needs to learn something from PSN, or at least allow us to transfer stuff from old to new consoles.

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    That's not such a big problem. I've been fine with my DSi.

15. rashef

Member rashef GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I think he didn't understand what you're asking. I mean... what would be the point if game bought on one console would work from SD on all the others ? Software transfers on the other hand should be an easy feat, just connect the consoles, remove keys from one account and add them to the other. Expecting mr. Trinen's restatement in 3... 2... 1...

16. darkriku2000

Member darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because we've had a trillion people trying to pirate DSiWare right?

17. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sounds fine to me. I'd rather have it locked onto my account, but it makes sense.

I wonder if this will change the value of traded in 3DS'? I mean, if you trade in a 3DS with nothing on it, you might get x amount of money. But what if you trade in a 3DS with like, 10 games on it?

18. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Games stores have to format every used system that comes in, your downloaded games are not only worthless to them, but cease to exist.

But it does make me wonder...does this open up the possibility, of a used market for downloaded software?

You transfer your unwanted downloads to the store, and get a little cash for it.
    They transfer those downloads to someone who wants them in exchange for a payment.

Of course, limited transfers and all.

19. Arwen20

Member Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Playstation, Xbox, Ipod....why can't nintendo learn. This is very disappointing. I bought a dsi at launch, purchased several games and I lost them when I traded in my dsi for a dsi XL. I have not bought any dsi shop games since. I refuse to buy content I will lose if I upgrade. Nintendo is discouraging people from purchasing another system.

20. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking though - I know that they wipe it clean for policy reasons, but I've never traded in anything with downloaded games or content on it. Do you get more on the initial trade? I mean, I know it doesn't really matter to them in the end, but it sucks that you'd trade something that you payed $250 for, upped the value with downloaded games, and still get the same price as the next guy who's trading it in without the DLC.

Still in yet, though, it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure it'll get some people pissed (see above), but I've never had a problem with this in the past. I wasn't even aware I could do it on my 360 until a friend told me, and even now, I haven't done it. I guess if I REALLY wanted to play Castle Crashers again I'd do it, but there's no need for me to.