Nintendo Closing the doors on VC Games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Jul 29, 2009.

Jul 29, 2009
  1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    i think ill wait for a more reputable source

3. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    They should totally do gameboy games for the VC. That'd probably go over pretty well. Especially if they let you download them to the DSi. [​IMG]

4. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    +1

5. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    You do realize this is most likely fake. You honestly expect some random Nintendo rep to first of all know that info and secondly tell it to some random person who asked? Don't say Nintendo is closing the doors on the VC. Its incredibly misleading since the "original quote" doesn't even say that. It said steer in the direction of Wiiware not stop updating the VC.

Do you have the original source? If thats it, theres not a chance in hell this being true.

6. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ORANGECHiCKEN has done gameboy vc already! (MLSS.wad).........and of course they have already done many vc injects
    so let the big N stop the vc creation, OC does it better anyway.(OC shares for free and they have done requests)

7. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    If a site like IGN or Kotaku pops up on this ill change it.
    Also Sephi Reported this so don't blame me.

@the person that said "ORANGECHiCKEN has already made VC injects for for GB Games": Can we also inject GBA games as well?

EDIT: @dinofan1: Sephi is a trusted guy! And he's a GBATemp IRC staff member, I think he wouldn't post some fake stuff in the IRC.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=90936

The two reasons people don't buy VC games.

1. They are too expensive for what they are...just roms with their own emulator.
    2. People can easily download ROM's for emulators and get the same emulation and in case of many games BETTER emulation.

Nintendo can improve this by actually putting more effort into the releases. Sure have the original game there for us purists but also have a "special" mode where some things have been added like online for games Mario Kart etc or even improve on some original game bugs. When the VC was announced Nintendo did say they were gonna do something this.

Also would be nice if some of the games were better than perfect renditions, as in actually PORT the game rather than just have a ROM of it. Some devs do this for XBLA/PSN so Nintendo should do this. Simply just having a game that was developed for another console and just not doing anything so it works on the Wii is wrong to me.

Also what is really annoying me is when they do the Hanabai festival, they put some games that weren't released in some regions and charge an extra 100 points for the privaledge. Now I don't mind this but there is NOTHING changed, even the Japanese games are still in Japanese. There is simply no good reason to charge extra for it.

Rant over?

How about actually doing special offer? Say have a pack of Mario games for the price of one. Why not give incentives like if you buy Punch-Out Wii you can buy Super Punch-Out half price.

9. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Sorry pal I find this to be totally fucking BULLSHIT. firstly I have like 12 VC games and no wii ware games. Secondly the cheapest WiiWare game is like 1500 Wiipoints isnt that the same as like 1 N64 game two SNES games or 3 NES games. Even if this is true its Nintendos fault period due to the lack of promotion besides the initial promotion at E3 04 or the occasional and I do mean OCCASIONAL Nintendo Channel, oh yeah and "Nintendo America has no plans...." gee where the fuck have I heard that before, not to mention a serious customer service rep saying "we hope you understand" is shit, its like saying.

"Ahh yes were gonna go say fuck it to the core fanbase and make more casual games, we hope you understand"

Oh yeah and while im blaming i wnat to say a big fuck you to Rare, Nintendo gave you the best years of your life then when something "better" came along you ran off and refuse to take our phone calls, screw you Rare for not giving us BK and Goldeneye and Killer Instinct, VC games people would actually fucking buy dickholes.

10. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I always found it stupid that some vc games are worse then the originals. Like not being able to save ghost data in mario kart 64 or having no rumble in zelda (even though collectors edition on gamecube does).

11. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    @EnigmaXtreme- If you can calm down for two seconds, you'd be inclined to read a few facts-

1- You rant against Rare for screwing over Nintendo. It's the complete opposite. Nintendo SOLD Rare to Microsoft. They retain rights to games like Donkey Kong and specific licenses that are owned by Nintendo, but Rare is now primarily owned by Microsoft thanks to Nintendo, no one else. And Rare still has the rights to release games for handhelds. Rare itself isn't even that popular anymore. Many people including myself believe their development skills have deteriorated. They can still make good games, but nothing like what they once did. They used to be one of the best developers out there, if not THE best. Now they are not anymore.

2- Hadrian (Canadrian) has a good point with emulators. Using any emulator for a system less powerful than N64 or so should net you accurate emulation of the same games you would have to BUY. And you get any game you want. And I do mean ANY game, as opposed to waiting for Nintendo to approve and release the game you are pining for. Mario RPG took FOREVER to get a VC release, but I assume it was already quite playable using homebrew methods. And Earthbound was never released. Another game I'm sure is perfectly working using homebrew emulators.

3- Just because YOU bought a game doesn't mean others do. If I owned a Wii, i'd not be buying these games on VC, i'd probably be pirating them. And even if I did buy them, it wouldn't matter as a whole when looking at the consumer as a whole. Many people don't care about these old games. Sad but true. Even if you don't use homebrew emulators, you can still pirate VC games themselves. In many cases you can actually inject official roms into VC releases to get non-released games working.

12. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    lol people really hotting up for this one... many a times ppl care too much for VC but it totally is not something that the console is made for IMO (as in, the revolution should specifically have wii games and not try to boost sales with VC)
    Have VC, but don't worry if it's not there.... still news that can be told to many

13. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I guess the Rare rant was a bit on the unneeded side, they used to be one of the best third party developers around now their not even in the top 10, number 1 is now Valve obviously lol. Also Nintendo only sold their stock AFTER The Stamper brothers sold their 51% of stock to Microsoft

As for their decision to cut retro games from their online distribution does seem highly unlikely due to the fact PSN and XBL have old school titles as well as original stuff (at least on XBL, the psn offers psx games for sure as for indie stuff im not quite sure) So i really feel closing the doors on the retro library really just isnt a good business decision. I admit N64 is a bit hard to emulate but id still prefer it over WiiWare due to the fact if i download Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time i know its a game i'm gonna like as compared to a WiiWare game which may or may not be any good.

Nintendo wanted to release Earthbound on VC but due to the fact that music in the game was based off licensed music theirs a lot of legal issues surrounding that title, I guess im just annoyed that Nintendo are focusing more on wiiware then VC now apparently, wiiware is in no way Xbox Live Arcade and I feel that the whole Nintendo online experience isnt really promoted all well which really annoys me. Not to mention i really refused to use emulators as i actually felt like supporting the VC

14. Teh H4rRy

Member Teh H4rRy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thats annoying, I guess i will just have to stick to my VBAx and other Wii related emulators. I am annoyed they arent updating the Internet Channel, It has so much room for improvement

15. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    That just doesn't sound like the way any Nintnedo representitive would word that. Also does that mean the rest of the world WILL receive an update? [​IMG]

I can't see Nintendo abandoning VC games. It's not like much effort (money) goes into them, all they need is a compatible emulator which they have. They don't even bother to touch up the games.

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well that shows what you know. There are more games released for under that much, I think the lowest I've seen was 400 points and DLC is usually 100 points. The average prices is 600 to 800 points.

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I guess Nintendo realized that they can put shovelware on the WiiWare too!

As for Rare games, the original Perfect Dark is seeing a release on the XBLA in the near future. I wouldn't say Conker because Live and Reloaded is just an enhanced port of it with good multiplayer, but Goldeneye may also see the release.

Nintendo has done LOTS of things to piss me off. This is definately high up there. Atleast release all your good titles then finish it up. There's still no Super Mario Kart or DK64 (it may be a Rare title, but Donkey Kong is a Nintendo trademark). I want my original Star Fox, assholes.

As per Gameboy games on the VC, odds are they'll end up on the DSi shop. Even then, the GB[A] emulator on the Wii runs very well.

18. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Just becasue Sephi brought it up doesn't mean its true. Even Gonintendo brought it up like Hadrian mentioned but RMC the guy who runs thinks this is fake. He said so in his podcast. I'm saying this is all most likely based on false info that some random guy on a forum said.

19. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I am not sad. I am happy because VC games are a waste time. They should reversion those games with improvement graphic and new addition that was never released in previously versions. Now, they are focus on wiiware which is a wise things to do.

20. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well it´s simply the VBA GX Emulator and the Rom in a channel so you could better use the original Emulator ( which gets by the way updates)