Nintendo claims that it has "nothing new to announce" in regards to first-party 3DS games

browser-overlay.png

The end might just be nigh for the little handheld. Around this time last year, Nintendo promised investors that they would continue to support the Nintendo 3DS, with ports such as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Mario & Luig: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser JR's Journey, and Luigi's Mansion, alongside a new game in the form of WarioWare Gold. Now that fiscal year 2018 has come and gone, it's time to look towards the future; one that doesn't seem to focus the the small system. In the latest investor briefing, the only mention of the 3DS was comparing the Nintendo Switch to its sales numbers.

Company analysts forecast that around 1 million systems will still be shifted throughout 2019, though there is no word on any further first party releases. If you still haven't upgraded to the Nintendo Switch, you'll still have an upcoming title at least, in the form of Atlus' Persona Q2. Currently, over 75 million 3DS systems have been sold, with 378 million games for it, in the eight years that it's been on the market.

:arrow: Source

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What on earth are you on about pretty much every system gets no new games after it has been out for 5 or so years the 3ds is now over 8 years old and has had support for two years after the Switch came out. I can only think of only one other system that has had first party support for that long.

Are you referring to the original Gameboy? Because that's sort of the point of the parallel, the release of the GBC/N3DS (with relatively few exclusives), and the move to the GBA/Switch. The major difference, of course, is the Switch lacks a 3DS backwards compatibility mode. I understand Nintendo moving on, but it's clear their "continued support" for the 3DS had more to do with a lack of faith in the Switch--they had to continue exclusive first party development for at least a while, and now that stream of development has dried out.

Personally, I'm pretty content with how much the 3DS has to offer especially with emulation and firmware hacking. Certainly, 75 million units is nothing to sneeze at (vs 81 million for the GBA, ~119 million for the GB/GBC, and 154 million for the NDS) along with over 1,200 games (not include VC emulation or DS). Rather happy they slipped in Metroid: Samus Returns which I rather liked as a remake (much more than Metroid Zero Mission). *shrug*

Reactions: LogicIsHansom
D

Deleted User

Hopefully Nintendo ends up releasing a successor to the 3DS at some point. The Switch just doesn't fill that void since it's nowhere near as portable in my experience.

If the rumours about Nintendo releasing a smaller and more portable Switch model are true, then I doubt we'll be seeing anything like a true successor for a while.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did that game got released and I didn't notice? Thanks you two!
I honestly wasn't sure if you were making a joke or not, since the game was released to middling reviews. Personally I am excited to play it (eventually) but I don't think a lot of people found it particularly moving. I hope you have a good time with it!

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I honestly wasn't sure if you were making a joke or not, since the game was released to middling reviews. Personally I am excited to play it (eventually) but I don't think a lot of people found it particularly moving. I hope you have a good time with it!
It looked interesting at least when it was announced.

I'm gonna take an look and see. :-)

Reactions: BORTZ

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What on earth are you on about pretty much every system gets no new games after it has been out for 5 or so years the 3ds is now over 8 years old and has had support for two years after the Switch came out. I can only think of only one other system that has had first party support for that long.

Ever heard of the ps2 that gotten new games well over 8 years after release?

Probably not, it is only the best selling consoles of all time, but hey, must be me.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ever heard of the ps2 that gotten new games well over 8 years after release?

Probably not, it is only the best selling consoles of all time, but hey, must be me.
Did you not read what I actually posted I said I can think of only one other system that had support that long. Hmmm I wonder if I was talking about the ps2 what do you think?

Reactions: Friendsxix

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well this comes as no surprise
the 3ds has got quite alot of years on its shoulders and nintendo would definitely drop support for it this year around. i think the 3ds has aged well and it killed the damned ps vita (which i personally felt so sorry it never got a chance to shine)
it remains my absolute favorite handheld as many of my favorite games are on it which i need to get back to playing them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou