Nintendo claims that it has "nothing new to announce" in regards to first-party 3DS games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 26, 2019.

Front-page
    browser-overlay.

The end might just be nigh for the little handheld. Around this time last year, Nintendo promised investors that they would continue to support the Nintendo 3DS, with ports such as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Mario & Luig: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser JR's Journey, and Luigi's Mansion, alongside a new game in the form of WarioWare Gold. Now that fiscal year 2018 has come and gone, it's time to look towards the future; one that doesn't seem to focus the the small system. In the latest investor briefing, the only mention of the 3DS was comparing the Nintendo Switch to its sales numbers.

Company analysts forecast that around 1 million systems will still be shifted throughout 2019, though there is no word on any further first party releases. If you still haven't upgraded to the Nintendo Switch, you'll still have an upcoming title at least, in the form of Atlus' Persona Q2. Currently, over 75 million 3DS systems have been sold, with 378 million games for it, in the eight years that it's been on the market.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (111 replies)
  1. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I mean it's been a fantastic run for the ol 3DS. It's been what 8 years? The things you can do with a 3DS now are incredible. I love love love mine but I won't be putting it down for a long time

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    It's official. Nintendo killed 3DS with the switch. :ninja:

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    good it should have died years ago when the switch was 1st released. the switch IS it's replacement. maybe now we'll get more games on the switch instead of this fucking thing stealing them (metroid)

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Apr 27, 2019
    DarthDub, Subtle Demise and DuoForce like this.
  4. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Where is my 2D Pikmin game Nintendo?

5. Extrasklep

Extrasklep gbaTemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    Noooooooooooo
    I have a switch but I like the 3DS and Wii U much more and I don’t want it to die yet

6. smileyhead

smileyhead This is definitely not a robotic component!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    It had a good run.
    There's still homebrew, emulation, and some third party games for the little guy. It was a great console and always will be.

7. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Sic transit gloria. I have enormous stacks of legitimately-purchased 3DS games at this point that I never got around to playing; I can't get too upset about an announcement like this.

I guess there's no chance that Monster Tale Ultimate is going to emerge from its development hell.

8. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    *Plays 3DS every day*

While it is kinda sad at the same time it was expected considering how well the switch is doing.

Deleted_413010 and Extrasklep like this.
  9. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Haven't played on me 3DS in years.

I do like some games tho.

DarthDub, TheMrIron2, Xzi and 3 others like this.
  10. warweeny

warweeny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    Is it surprising really?

Nintendo has always done this, a new console / handheld came out and the previous thing is dead.
    This is not sony that actually keeps their word when they say they support a platform after a new release.

emuashui, TheMrIron2 and DuoForce like this.
  11. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    What on earth are you on about pretty much every system gets no new games after it has been out for 5 or so years the 3ds is now over 8 years old and has had support for two years after the Switch came out. I can only think of only one other system that has had first party support for that long.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Apr 27, 2019
  12. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I wonder if third party Japanese indie developers will support it just like they did for the Vita.

13. RPG_FAN128

RPG_FAN128 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2018
    United States
    Even though I may have more DS games than 3DS games I would have to say that I like the 3DS library more. Of course to each their own, but I find it odd that the DS actually sold more than the 3DS did lifetime.

Still, I can't believe it has been 8 years. I remember the 3DS' rocky start, and look how making smart business decisions helped to turn things around. But I'm still not opening my switch until June. (Mario Maker 2!)

14. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    I dont thing anyone is supporting it anymore look at the release schedule for the next year.
    1 game in Japan and one for Euro/North America
    Screenshot_20190427_145447.

Disco likes this.
  15. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    It's ok. You can rest.

16. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    I'll still prefer my 3ds over a switch any day, better battery life and fits in my pocket. Shame Nintendo will probably never go back to reasonably sized portables

17. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    you do realise that metroid samus returns was made on an engine tailor made for the 3DS right? you cant just port that shit over just like that, for the PS3/360 versions of mirror of fate they had to get a different company to help them with it

FlorinEmil and LogicIsHansom like this.
  18. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    Damn, here I was hoping for Stability increased: the Game

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    you got pikmin on the 3ds it was 2.5d if you want to be specific so yeah 3ds got one, im still waiting for pikmin 4 tough.

Bimmel likes this.