Nintendo claiming ownership on Youtube videos featuring their product

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
No, the ads don't change, but the ad money goes to Nintendo, NOT to the people who uploaded the video. Like Guild stated, lots of people that do LPs (Pewdie, etc.) literally make their living (that is, the money they use to buy the food they eat and pay their rent) from the ads on Youtube.

But they won't be getting it from videos Nintendo does a claim on. The videos stay up, but Youtube sends the money to Nintendo, not the Youtube account's holder.
I really don't think they would go after LP's making a living considering their pretty chill stance to YT videos compared to other companies. I don't think they suddenly would start making ass moves like that.

Just speculation, but I don't think they would want to bring such negativity upon themselves from people who promotes their games for free.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think they would go after LP's making a living considering their pretty chill stance to YT videos compared to other companies. I don't think they suddenly would start making ass moves like that.

Just speculation, but I don't think they would want to bring such negativity upon themselves from people who promotes their games for free.
Yet here we are.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZackScottGames
All the signs of being a professional Youtuber (he even merchandises for crying out loud), and he's one of the named ones that Nintendo did a claim on. His latest video, one that's specifically categorized (Dark Moon), has 385,000 views.

Reactions: Eerpow

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First thought that came to mind;

Shoot, now LPers are going to have to cut videos into even more parts.

A 60 minute LP could now be 6 10 minute LPs. ;-;

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
It is their content so they are pretty justified. But it's also just producing negative press for them while not actually fighting a cause of lost income, if anything they are going to get less free exposure than previously as people will avoid nintendo content to ensure they have control over how their video is abused by youtube's ad shit.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hold your horses, pardner. That may very well be, which is why I would not be againts a 50/50 split, however the LP'ers input, that being the script for a given episode, all the puns, the comedy, the editing, the effects, everything people do to make LP's enjoyable are not without merit. It's not okay to make money of Nintendo's IP's without their express permission, but it's equally not okay for Nintendo to make money off an LP'ers work.
I agree, so what do you think is the best solution here? Nintendo takes 50% of the ads revenue and the other 50% get the LPers?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
First thought that came to mind;

Shoot, now LPers are going to have to cut videos into even more parts.

A 60 minute LP could now be 6 10 minute LPs. ;-;
Or they'll just start advocating the use of AdBlocks. If they can't earn on their work, neither should anyone else.

I agree, so what do you think is the best solution here? Nintendo takes 50% of the ads revenue and the other 50% get the LPers?
I think it would be better than claiming ownership of something they didn't produce and for all intents and purposes, it's fair as all the parties involved earn money that way.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they'll just start advocating the use of AdBlocks. If they can't earn on their work, neither should anyone else.

If Nintendo's really this money hungry they should at least get a small cut. LPer gets the larger cut, and Ninty a smaller cut for property rights. Not right for them to come out of the blue like this but if they must at least make it fair.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Nintendo's really this money hungry they should at least get a small cut. LPer gets the larger cut, and Ninty a smaller cut for property rights. Not right for them to come out of the blue like this but if they must at least make it fair.
I'm all for that kind of sharing, however this means Nintendo takes all the profits, not a fraction. ;)

Perhaps this is a particularily weird move for me because where I live, using a fraction of a given product for analytical purposes (a Let's Play, a review, anything of the sort) is considered a part of Fair Use and isn't in any way restricted - all you have to do is mention the original creator.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Yet here we are.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZackScottGames
All the signs of being a professional Youtuber (he even merchandises for crying out loud), and he's one of the named ones that Nintendo did a claim on. His latest video, one that's specifically categorized (Dark Moon), has 385,000 views.
Well that's shit, hope he can get in touch with them and resolve the situation. For the majority it's not bad news though even if it does have this big negative flipside.

Now, are their going after YT's with vids using edited footage, fan work, short music clips too? Those videos did no damage whatsoever. LP's would sometimes make people not purchase the game, if it's a title like Phoenix Wright for example where there is no point in buying the game after watching a LP, for most people anyways.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For the majority it's not bad news though even if it does have this big negative flipside.
That depends. The solution Nintendo chose may have a strong impact on the content you view online - professional LP'ers and reviewers will stray away from Nintendo products and play other games instead, not to risk losing resources and time on making something that won't bring them revenue. Some of the stuff you really enjoy watching may just vanish.

Reactions: Eerpow

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
That depends. The solution Nintendo chose may have a strong impact on the content you view online - professional LP'ers and reviewers will stray away from Nintendo products and play other games instead, not to risk losing resources and time on making something that won't bring them revenue. Some of the stuff you really enjoy watching may just vanish.
True in the long run, the negative side of bad publicity will most likely stop them from implementing this so widely, that's what made Sega stop at least.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
True in the long run, the negative side of bad publicity will most likely stop them from implementing this so widely, that's what made Sega stop at least.
Here's for hoping. That being said, we're talking about huge sums of money here. A single LP'er may not earn a whole lot, but half-a-Youtube of LP'ers produce tons of content.

Perhaps people will switch to other services such as Blip, perhaps they'll change their repertoire, perhaps Nintendo will come up with a better proposal - we'll see. As it stands today, this is bitter-sweet news as one kind of injustice is just replaced with another - sharing the revenue seems much more sensible then just taking it away.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically if someone makes a complete video walk through of Nintendo game, the money they would of generated for the ads goes to the Nintendo instead of the hard working individual who made said walk through. Seems like a dick move on Nintendo's part.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Perhaps this is a particularily weird move for me because where I live, using a fraction of a given product for analytical purposes (a Let's Play, a review, anything of the sort) is considered a part of Fair Use and isn't in any way restricted - all you have to do is mention the original creator.
A fraction, yes. Around here you're allowed to use up to 20% of the total content that way.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's for hoping. That being said, we're talking about huge sums of money here. A single LP'er may not earn a whole lot, but half-a-Youtube of LP'ers produce tons of content.

Perhaps people will switch to other services such as Blip, perhaps they'll change their repertoire, perhaps Nintendo will come up with a better proposal - we'll see. As it stands today, this is bitter-sweet news as one kind of injustice is just replaced with another - sharing the revenue seems much more sensible then just taking it away.
Looked further into it and, it's a mess, even some gaming press channels are being swept with the same brush as the other affected users it seems. That's fucked up.

Kyle Hyde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What a dick move. You would think Nintendo knows some common sense. If you lack money, you don't go on YouTube and take it from your biggest fans...

However, I understand that YouTube approached publishers about this and made the suggestion to make ad revenue from those videos (according to Notch's twitter)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I kinda wonder if that was really their intend when they became youtube partners.

if it wasn't, then they'll probably deal with it eventually, splicing ad revenue or something.
if it was, they'll probably also realize that this isn't such a good idea, as nintendo content wont be produced anymore.

maybe let's players should set their nintendo videos to private for the moment and then approach nintendo, explaining that unless there is some kind of split on the earnings, the videos will stay off and nobody will waste their time and money on making any new ones, resulting in zero revenue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead