Nintendo briefing: more unannounced third party titles, Streetpass "fixed in West", and more.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Jun 12, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    + Call of Booty: Ghosts
    Streetpass:

3DS + F2P:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130612/03.html

EZ-Megaman, chavosaur and xwatchmanx like this.

2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    If that slide is anything to go by, you probably shouldn't get too excited for these unannounced third party titles.

tronic307 and Guild McCommunist like this.
  3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    A Nintendo first party free to play game? I honestly wonder what that could be.

4. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Where does it say that it's not Pokemon? Because a F2P Pokemon MMO... oh my god

5. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

Art Academy ;O;

And about 3rd party support.... I WANT RUNE FACTORY 4!

6. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    Nintendo first party free to play game... zelda link to the past please, to go with with link to the past 2.

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

...I don't think you know how F2P games work.

8. Flame
    This message by Flame has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Jun 12, 2013, Reason: spam.
    Jun 12, 2013
  9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Shame that Streetpass wasn't really popular around here. As for the F2P game? I bet it's Tetris attack with 300 levels but using the same payment model as Candy Crush Saga.

10. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Your reply got trashed, but I'll explain anyway.

F2P doesn't mean a game is just free and that's that. That would be a horrible business model - developers would hemorrage money from the get-go. The price of entry may be free, but there has to be some sort of monetization in place to ensure that the developers can earn a profit.

You ever notice how all the F2P games (well, the successful, lasting ones, anyway) are based around online multiplayer? There's a reason for that - it's really easy to monetize. Charging for items, weapons, characters, the works is a no-brainer, and unlike a single-player campaign, the experience never stops. You can always hop back in and play another round or join another raid.

So how does a single-player game from more than 20 years ago fit into that model? Trick question, it doesn't. At all. (Not to mention that it's pretty easy to obtain, legally or otherwise, so how many people could it really attract?)

Whatever their F2P project is, it most certainly won't be A Link To The Past.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  11. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

thank you, I'm so much wiser now. but you are going to look stupid once people have to pay money for rupees and upgrade of swords and shields and colour of the hair.

12. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
  13. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Nintendo would lose money. Why would they just release a free game and give everything in it for free? There's gotta be a way for them to make money.

Look at Tank Tank Tank on WiiU. It's free, but for the more premium features, you have to pay.

Even if Nintendo charged money for different (lets just use Zelda as an example) hats for link to wear, lots of people would pay for it. Look at Team Fortress 2. Like all of the money Valve makes off of it is from people buying hats.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  14. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008

I know, I'm just pulling Gahars' chain.

15. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

That's because TF2 built an economy off it. It doesn't happen with every F2P game, and the reason the hats are even as valuable as they are was due to how the game operated prior to F2P. In fact, F2P KILLED the manncomony. Valve still makes cash, but the player suffers from the stupid trade rates and prices. It's only a matter of time till hats become so easy to make that it's not worth actually buying from Valve.

16. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Great.... all we need are more F2P games. Personally I hope it bombs because I don't like the route game industry is going. I might consider it if it's a subscription but, if I have to buy items then screw it.

17. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Is anybody else surprised by Animal Crossing: New Leaf selling so well? I thought Animal Crossing was a niche series, but it seems to reach a far wider audience than I was aware of. The response on GBAtemp alone is astounding, with the game getting more attention than nearly any other 3DS title that isn't the unreleased Pokemon X and Y.

As far as street pass goes, I'm glad they're changing it to accommodate the differences of the west versus Japan. There are lots of 3DS systems out and about, but very few manage to end up in the same place at the same time. Japan is smaller, and odds are that most 3DS owners are going to be in the same areas, where as here in the US for example, there could be nobody within 10 miles of me who owns a 3DS because the dispersal of tech is far more broad than in Japan, where there are more distinct tech centers.

The F2P game has me interested. As annoying as a micro-transaction model can be, many F2P games on other platforms (most notably the PC) have been entirely playable without paying a dime as long as you were willing to put a little extra time in.

When it comes to Wii U third party, they really, really, really need good third party exclusives. Strong first party isn't enough these days. A strong third party presence is also very important when selling a console. Hopefully they have some hard hitters stashed away, as if it's just more multi-plats, that still doesn't grant any actual incentive to pursue a Wii U system. At the moment, the list of third party games on the Wii U is already kind of sad (mostly generic stuff or multi-plats or generic multi-plats), even with the Wii U only having been out since last November. Though, that raises another issue with how long can the first party remain strong until they just become repetitive trying to boost sales. The first party won't keep their system afloat like it did with the Wii. If anything, the situation will become more reminiscent of the Gamecube.

18. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I'm excited for the new street pass relay... I work at McDonald's and bring my 3DS regularly, so I expect to get a lot of street passes once this happens (and I already get a decent amount).

19. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    My exercise route is near a McDonald's, so I could exercise, get steps (or whatever those things are) and get some data as well. And maybe cheeseburgers...

EZ-Megaman, kenjixx, Nxenz and 2 others like this.
  20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Look at Fire Emblem. It wasn't that big here in the North America, but it's on fire and the love it's getting is insane.

Anyways, just to summarize, tell me if I'm right.

Basically we go to a McDonalds/Starbucks, and instead of streetpassing with someone who's like a few feet away from us, our data gets sent up into a server, which can be shared throughout other McDonalds/Starbucks? Right now, the only people I streetpass is like one or two in Wal-Mart, and the rest at EBGames. Hell here, you're frowned upon by people for carrying like a 3DS in stores because people will think you stole it (Which is dumb because it's easy to prove you didn't).

21. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Actually, it looks like the data is stored to that specific location, so only people who go there will exchange with you. Or I may have interpreted it wrongly. It may be that Streetpass is shared throughout all locations if both parties are both at a location at the same time, but those who go to the same location can have data shared without both being there.