Nintendo boosts switch forecast from 10 million units to 14 million units for first year

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by rileysrjay, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    They’re sure to reach 50mil in the 1st year with those great Neo Geo games coming out what seems every day

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Maybe it is about fish. I mean if there is music for them

zoogie likes this.
  3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I wish Sony and Microsoft focused on gameplay more like Nintendo does.

CallmeBerto, Bladexdsl and rileysrjay like this.
  4. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I think the only thing that would stop this seemingly upward momentum is if someone comes out and says a top Nintendo executive "sexually assaulted" them, with something as vicious as a butt grab. Seriously, seeing the Spacey situation, someone can go from hero to zero in 24 hours...tops.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. DarthDub
    This message by DarthDub has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Nov 1, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Oct 31, 2017
  6. rileysrjay
    OP

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Oh no, now the Sony fans are going to come out of their holes and start their fanboy bickering.

Bladexdsl, aykay55 and DarthDub like this.
  7. RustInPeace
    This message by RustInPeace has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Nov 1, 2017, Reason: off topic.
    Oct 31, 2017
  8. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Wherever there's food. And Nintendo.
    Anyone notice a complete lack of games from THQ-Nordic? Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc. They made ganes for every system. I mean EVERY system. Except the 3DS because DS versions already existed.

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Receditur a Veritate

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That's clearly a lot better compared to the WiiU's failure.
    Let's go Nintendo!

rileysrjay likes this.
  10. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    Sine Mora Ex

11. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Yeah but I was talking more about their game show video games. They usually release those games soon after the launch of a system.

12. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London

You are not taking holiday season into account, Switch is hot right now and Nintendo hardware thrives in holidays and bulk of the sales are during holiday season too historically. It wasn't long ago it was having stock issues, heck still is in Japan, people have to play a lottery in retail to get a chance to purchase a Switch, that's how supply constraint it is or was.

13. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    You're forgetting that the Switch is very much still in demand, and it will continue well into 2018 as people try to get their hands on the new hybrid console. After the holiday season, without a good launch lineup the rest of the year, the Switch might end up just like the Wii U. (god forbid, I love this console!)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Don't forget the fact Nintendo is sending out retail consoles just in time for Christmas, while Sony and Microsoft are lagging behind in marketing their 'upgrades'. Of all the stores I've gone to in the last year and a half, only two have functionong xbox demos, and my local stores are in no mood to fix/replace them. (Local stores meaning Target, Wal-Mart, ToysRUs)

Last edited by aykay55, Nov 1, 2017
  14. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Chronicler

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Iirc, their original sales estimate for this year was 5 million, and they're set to make at least double that. If they're at 7.43 million now, then 10 million is likely going to happen over the holidays and into early next year. 14 million? Now that sounds a bit high, but hey, if they can reach that, then that'd be cool. What I'm more anxious about than sales numbers is seeing what Nintendo has planned throughout 2018. 2017 was stacked with solid releases every month, but they haven't announced much for 2018 yet. I'm hoping they do a Nintendo Direct around the holiday season and give us some games to look forward to going into the new year. I think if there's a decent gap between Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the next big Nintendo title, I'll pass the time by buying some of the excellent indie games that've hit the platform.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  15. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    You are aware that Breath of the Wild does indeed have two DLC expansion packs right? The second one yet to release... your posts reak of ignorance, you thought end of the year meant calendar year and not year from release of the system. You also seem to think that BOTW is supposed to be the big holiday system seller... when it's clearly going to be Mario Odyssey, especially when you consider the Odyssey system bundle. If they’re over 7 and half million now, without Mario impacting sales numbers of the system yet, the holiday season around the corner, and 3 more months after that, and no, I don't find it hard to believe they'll hit that 14 million units sold figure in its first year.

16. Polopop123

Polopop123 Banned

Banned
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    I can just imagined Mario grabbing Nathan Drake’s ass lmao

RustInPeace likes this.
  17. xpoverzion

xpoverzion GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    Those who know better know that the Wii U is still the best console Nintendo has ever made, given that it can play just about every single game Nintendo has made over the past 30 years. 1000's of games available for the Wii U, and 15 for the switch. Right now, the switch and it's value for the money hardly compares to the Wii U. Most consumers are idiots.

18. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Haha, this is logic! Everyone is gona buy 2 units now. One for Hax and one for Odessey. /s

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was aware of the DLCs but wrote them off as fairly minor as they seem to be that from what I have seen. I was not the one suggesting Zelda would be a system mover either, quite the opposite, and was actually responding to an earlier remark and I am not sure how you read it as such -- that is some serious fanboy blinkers you have going on there.
    Equally many devices I deal with if they launch that early in the year (and the big advertising push started in January for a start of March release which is also still first quarter if you are doing January-January) just go round to the end of the calendar one. In a later post I acknowledged the potential mistake there.

I did also ponder if the numbers were pre Mario to make a larger delta. I am not convinced it will move enough systems to make the numbers a viable proposition.

20. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    As a sony fanboy, they just posted they shipped 68 million units since the launch of the PS4.

And I will probably buy a Switch myself. There's currently no way to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2, SMTV, Golf Story, and it would be my choice to play Wargroove on.

rileysrjay likes this.
  21. rileysrjay
    OP

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Saw that earlier, pretty impressive imo. I wonder if they'll beat the PS2 like people were saying. Sounds like your a pretty open minded Sony fanboy if you're considering getting a switch, I was referring to the ones that make fun of the switch and Xbox whenever they get the chance to and only own a ps4.

BORTZ likes this.
  22. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto Vigilante

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I just don't see 14 mil by March 2018. XBCX plus the holidays will easily push that to 10 mil but what about after? I'm looking on IGN's site and if you remove indie games....not much if anything at all.

If Nintendo plans to sell that many they need to have a direct by years end or early next year to bring the hype.

rileysrjay likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice