Nintendo blocks use of PassMe!

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nintendo may have blocked the ability to update firmware by using a non-rewriteable flash chip.
I don't think so...that way they won't be able to update the firmware with new game released (for example for online gaming)

QUOTE(MaD_mAnIaC @ Aug 11 2005, 08:29 PM)they know that having their systems cracked so soon, will make they lose millions in software sales
I don't think there'd be so many geeks that'd buy a Flashcard/Memory Stick for $200+ ...

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha ha.....nice move Nintendo!!!
yaynds.gif
Glad I already have mine
tongue.gif

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country
This really suprised me. I have always had Nintendo in high regard when it comes to homebrew program. For example they upgraded the Blue DS and the only change was that the backlight faded. However i doubt that this will affect anyone that already has a DS. Even if Nintendo offered a new firmware, it can´t tocuh the failsafe part that Flashme resides in without the user sticking down a screwdriver in the little hole besides the battery.

Lucily I got mine, the date it got released so i got no problem with passme

Yeppie I safe, But what if when the new offical firmware out will it block the passme?

I Doubt there will come a new firmware to the DS, atleast one that the user can update himself. The system isn´t designed to be flashable without some heavy work on the user´s part.

Xboxed

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
On second thought...This may delay the release of the new NDS compatible cards. Maybe the G6/M3 teams would like to have a broader compatibility and hold their products till Passme 2.0 hit the web. I hope not...

Peace

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well dang
frown.gif

This is dissapointing for all the homebrew aspects. I could really care-a-less about pirating games on the DS this time around, I'm just gonna buy my stuff.

Lewigi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On second thought...This may delay the release of the new NDS compatible cards. Maybe the G6/M3 teams would like to have a broader compatibility and hold their products till Passme 2.0 hit the web. I hope not...

Peace
They may be delayed, but not because of this.

I dont know for sure but i think you can use any passme for them, so you would be able to get the new passme if you have a new vesion DS.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This really suprised me. I have always had Nintendo in high regard when it comes to homebrew program. For example they upgraded the Blue DS and the only change was that the backlight faded. However i doubt that this will affect anyone that already has a DS. Even if Nintendo offered a new firmware, it can´t tocuh the failsafe part that Flashme resides in without the user sticking down a screwdriver in the little hole besides the battery.

Lucily I got mine, the date it got released  so i got no problem with passme

Yeppie I safe, But what if when the new offical firmware out will it block the passme?

I Doubt there will come a new firmware to the DS, atleast one that the user can update himself. The system isn´t designed to be flashable without some heavy work on the user´s part.

LOFL Nintendo does NOT support homebrew coding or any derivation all inclusive of what it considers piracy. There's just people out there that figure out how their hardware works and use exploits/etc to run code. I can understand having them in high regard for making things easy for people to use, but they don't do it on purpouse. I mean, ARM cpu's aren't exactly as well known as a Z80 which they did use in the original gameboy. Z80 has been in consoles at least since colecovision and that should've made it extremely easy for a lot of quality homebrew code to come out, but I haven't really seen a large amount put out. Seems like GBA/GBC/DS etc get around the same amount or maybe more homebrew software coming out just because they are the latest/most popular/current devices people use. Just like anything else, ps2/xbox/dreamcast/psp/ngpc..

edit - btw don't be afraid of what happens with some Chinese version of a console. They might figure that more piracy goes on in China than in western countries which I would have to see to believe.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Damn, Nintendo is actually doing something
biggrin.gif

If they do release a firmware update when going online that blocks passme's, there will be hell to pay
wtf.gif
If not, then all is fine
smile.gif

If you haven't bought a DS yet, get one now.

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed there was no mention of WifiMe other than "other variations"

And I bet that's in reference to fuckin' Neoflash's "Magic Key" etc.

Dammit if it weren't for pirates, we could continue to make homebrew without a care in the world!

(says the guy with all the roms on his HDD)

Well as long as WMB still works, I'm cool. I wish I had more details though. I didn't use a PassMe to flash my firmware, I used WMB.

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I for one am glad. Nothing wrong with the PassMe, because it's for homebrew only. Most people who would be working on homebrew have a DS already. Nintendo is stopping pirating on games.

This isn't like the GBA where there's no competition. Although I for one don't consider the PSP and the DS to be comparible, they are at war. Nintendo doesn't want to lose money in most cases, but at this point, more so.

Or maybe not.
blink.gif

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country

Lucily I got mine, the date it got released so i got no problem with passme

LOFL Nintendo does NOT support homebrew coding or any derivation all inclusive of what it considers piracy. There's just people out there that figure out how their hardware works and use exploits/etc to run code. I can understand having them in high regard for making things easy for people to use, but they don't do it on purpouse. I mean, ARM cpu's aren't exactly as well known as a Z80 which they did use in the original gameboy. Z80 has been in consoles at least since colecovision and that should've made it extremely easy for a lot of quality homebrew code to come out, but I haven't really seen a large amount put out. Seems like GBA/GBC/DS etc get around the same amount or maybe more homebrew software coming out just because they are the latest/most popular/current devices people use. Just like anything else, ps2/xbox/dreamcast/psp/ngpc..

edit - btw don't be afraid of what happens with some Chinese version of a console. They might figure that more piracy goes on in China than in western countries which I would have to see to believe.

The never supported homebrew, but it seemed like they didn´t actually care. As i said before, there was a new firmwareversion in the "Electric Blue DS" and the only difference was that the backlight faded. Compare that to what Sony is doing with releasing new firmware like once a month, just in order to make it difficult for homebrew. This is really no biggie as there will undoubtly be a crack to it, but it´s the development that worries me. I know many people who bought a DS just for playing Snes and Nes games, and i guess there is many more like them, so Nintendo is only hurting themselves.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, what a surprise!

Nintendo has always been the staunchest advocate of anti-piracy, using cartridges well past their viability on a home console, to using custom media thereafter. They aggressively pursue pirates all the way back to distributing NES ROMs. However, to block the PassMe devices is an interesting move - I wonder how intentional it was? After all, they could have easily blocked GBA flash carts in one of their many GBA revisions - and they never did.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
good point man...they must have known...

not like it's hard to notice gba rom packs around

maybe there was a "security flaw" that could have hurt more but wasn't exposed yet with DS. maybe it has something to do with Wi-Fi gaming...

either way, i'm glad i have a first run DS. Very much a try before you buy system for me. big titles run 50 bucks canadian, and the trade-in value sucks compared to a new console releases...

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
What I find strange is that everybody says "I'm glad I already bought mine". That's all quite nice, but aren't we all left on an island soon? I mean when the future releases of the DS don't support flashcarts, will there ever be companies who are interested in producing flashcarts? Couldn't this be the end of the flashcarts? Will the new batch of flashcarts be out indeed at the end of august? I hope I will be able to play my commercial roms soon, cause I bought my DS with this in mind. Simply because I'm a gamer with little money...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1