Nintendo blocks use of PassMe!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Aug 11, 2005.

Aug 11, 2005
  1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

News: Nintendo blocks use of PassMe devices!

Planning to buy a new Nintendo DS to play homebrew on? Think again.

In a surprising move from Nintendo, it's been discovered that latest production models of the Nintendo DS have been modified... to block use of any PassMe device (and variations of).

The latest models of the Nintendo DS - the new Red colour edition and China only iQue DS, have been reported to not work with PassMe.

Whether or not latest batches of all the other DS variations have been "fixed" is unknown, as there have been no reports of compatibility issues beyond the two afore mentioned models. But it seems highly likely that Nintendo will update all future batches.

Technical details are not available yet, so whether this fix was a physical hardware update or a simple firmware update is currently unknown. But it's only a matter of time before someone figures it out...

... And cracks it.

2. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Haha... dang, that was unsuspected! Good for me I already have a DS [​IMG]

3. TPi

Former Staff TPi One Tired Raccoon

Canada
    Yeah, read about it on 64scener. Bad news. :\ Hope Nintendo doesn't follow the Sony path and keep killing off homebrew options. [​IMG]

4. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I wonder if it also blocks FlashMe

5. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Nintendo surprised the hell out of me on this one. Makes me a little afraid of first-party titles also recieving protection... not that they wont be cracked if done. [​IMG]

6. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Not sure. No ones reported if these models have firmware protection. Nintendo may have blocked the ability to update firmware by using a non-rewriteable flash chip.

They may have also covered up that firmware update bridge under the battery cover...

7. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    PassMe I thought used some hardware or bios exploit to get around the lack of having a DS flash card itself. So really Nintendo either closed the hole on the hardware side or in the bios. Either way if it's hardware kinda screwed on that end with passme's but maybe a real ds flash card would be fine, but if it's a bios deal depends if it can be patched or not easily I guess. If it's hardware, smart move on the closing of a hole, if it's going to be bios updating diligence then that will be a problem.

8. Xboxed

Member Xboxed GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    No surprise...it was just a matter of time. With the upcoming release of all those sweet cards...NOA is getting uneasy. Now , we need some upgreadable "ME's" a la QOOB or Viper to keep the scene rollin'.

Now, just wait for Nintendo offering some fancy app like PictoChat2 or the WebBrowser/OnlinePlayer for free to upgrade your Firmware just like Sony did with the PSP.

Peace

9. bryehn

Member bryehn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    does this affect the electric blue ones too? cause i was planning on getting a second ds for the wife...

10. shaunj66
    OP

United Kingdom
    Unknown at the moment.

Early batches may not have been affected as they were released a fair while ago now, but I'm sure future models will have the update applied.

11. Azngamer15

Azngamer15 Newbie

lol, its like psp 1.5 ALL over again [​IMG] good thing i have a ds already though

12. xflash

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    meh im glad i bought mine a long long long time ago lol anyway wifi still works right?

13. Eruonen

Member Eruonen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    If you send you're DS to them for repair, do you think they'll block it too?

14. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    lol nintendo shouldn't even bother, no matter what they do all their stuff gets cracked.

guess what nintendo -> you could use truely proprietary compact discs and not have any input/output ports then nobody would be able to exploit your shit (btw how many people do you know with UMD burners? surely nintendo could get together with someone and make something similar)
    btw- nobody really NEEDS multiplayer for handheld gaming. it'd still sell without. however, a very slow speed port would hinder piracy efforts greatly and still allow multiplayer gaming.

15. decript

Member decript A melon a day, keeps t3h monkey away

Canada
    Yeah, lucky me I got an old one. I don't think they would replace your DS if it was changed.

16. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    Now I'm glad I got my DS when I did.

17. Nojoy

Newcomer Nojoy Advanced Member

Antarctica
    I bought my son an electric blue one about 3 weeks ago... the passme and flashme worked just fine with his. So at least the first shipments of them are okay...

18. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I still want a blue DS though [​IMG] well maybe i can walmart swap mine [​IMG]

19. MaD_mAnIaC

Member MaD_mAnIaC MaD?

Portugal
    neither nintendo or sony are stupid... they know that having their systems cracked so soon, will make they lose millions in software sales, and will slowdown game production, so they're trying to protect their systems a bit more. they'll never be able to stop piracy completely, but they're slowing it down quite a bit. i think this is the right thing to do, or else this handhelds can die sooner than they should...

20. weasley

Newcomer weasley Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Lucily I got mine, the date it got released so i got no problem with passme

Yeppie I safe, But what if when the new offical firmware out will it block the passme?