Nintendo Bans Melee Tournament, RCM Loader Lawsuit, 3DS Updates, Capcom Leaks & More - Tempcast #14

podcast_art_banner_smol-png.222446

This week, we dive into Nintendo's psyche, trying to find a reason for what they've done: banned a Melee online tournament, took legal action against an RCM Loader seller, and released an update for the 3DS. Joining us on this podcast is Eric, who was late last episode playing Masters of Melodies, or whatever. We also discuss the new Capcom leaks, which are from the ransomware attack we discussed in earlier episodes, along with some titles that might be coming from the publisher in the next five years. IO announced development of a James Bond game, so we talk about how we've never played a Hitman game, but how well that gameplay would work with 007. The Game Awards released its nomination list, so we speculate as to who might win, and recorded our predictions.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast
:arrow: Direct MP3 Download

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the fuck is Nintendo banning an online tournament?

At this point, people should just keep it underground, outside of Big N's ears. If the way Nintendo has been acting as of late is any indication, then that's the only way the the stuff that enthusiasts will be able to enjoy Nintendo products.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not banning Big House's Smash Ultimate tournament. BH cancelled it themselves because Smash Melee is the main event, which unfortunately cancelled after they didn't back down from order.

Please do a bit more prep research before podcast.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Nintendo is not banning Big House's Smash Ultimate tournament. BH cancelled it themselves because Smash Melee is the main event, which unfortunately cancelled after they didn't back down from order.

Please do a bit more prep research before podcast.
We are sorry for this mistake and will note it next episode.
Thank you for making the Tempcast better!

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a tough one the device is a loader but it comes loaded with modified os images

If it didn’t have the images I can see the case getting thrown out because you can argue it’s a tool to repair broken systems

but unlike SX which went to the point of linking actual stolen software not sure what a judge would do but maybe not allow the sale in certain countries or ask the manufacturer to remove the software

Reactions: relauby

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"illegally copied versions of the game"
Nintendo seems to think if they keep saying ripping your games is illegal that it'll eventually become true. Nintendo is the absolute worst for this shit, thank god they protected themselves from all the profit losses this tournament would have caused from people legally ripping their games that Nintendo hasn't sold for 10+ years.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"illegally copied versions of the game"
Nintendo seems to think if they keep saying ripping your games is illegal that it'll eventually become true. Nintendo is the absolute worst for this shit, thank god they protected themselves from all the profit losses this tournament would have caused from people legally ripping their games that Nintendo hasn't sold for 10+ years.
I mean I agree in theory, but how many people playing melee are actually using their own rip?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I agree in theory, but how many people playing melee are actually using their own rip?

I'd imagine the pro players would be willing to learn of any legal way to get their game ripped onto a HDD of some kind. I mean, if the following video is anything to go off of, they value playing on and with "legit" hardware as much as possible. Let's just say there's a reason I have legit in quotes:

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's true that most people will use a rip that isn't their own and it's not impossible that a professional would also use a rip from online. I'd like to assume that most professionals would be using their own rip or at the very least own the game from playing on real hardware.

At the end of the day Nintendo is gonna do this kind of shit regardless of if you're legally obtaining the game because the people making these decisions on Nintendo's side are clueless. It really baffles me that a decision like this happens. Nintendo makes 0 money from melee as it stands except from people potentially being introduced to the newer games through it. I really don't know what the upside they see to taking this action is but the vast amount of downsides are very clear and it really ruins peoples image of Nintendo.

If we see a Melee release on the eShop sometime soon then that would explain this but I'd be surprised.

Last edited by fadx, , Reason: I'm stupid and thought Project M was for Melee.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe a hot take but Nintendo distancing themselves from the gross smash community after all the drama they pulled is a smart move lol

What drama? Nintendo doesn't want people to play Nintendo games they have not bought, and it doesn't want people to keep playing an old game when a newer game is for sale.

After all Nintendo would be more thn hapy if people were making Tournaments with the Switch game instead.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What drama? Nintendo doesn't want people to play Nintendo games they have not bought, and it doesn't want people to keep playing an old game when a newer game is for sale.

After all Nintendo would be more thn hapy if people were making Tournaments with the Switch game instead.

I'm referring to this situation

And the tournament that was cancelled did have Ultimate featured as well, it was still not allowed to continue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455