Nintendo Bans DS Game Set During The Holocaust in NA

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From cnet News

"The Nintendo DS video game console has made itself indispensable to the playground set by serving up a steady menu of Super Mario games, plus the occasional SpongeBob SquarePants or Hannah Montana title.

Last month, when a 21-year-old British video game developer named Luc Bernard posted a description on his blog of a Holocaust-themed game he is writing that describes how the Nazis tortured children, the reaction was swift and visceral.

"Disgusting concept. Some people have no shame," wrote one video game blog reader. Another called it "pretty creepy."

The game, called Imagination Is the Only Escape, apparently will not be distributed within the United States. It casts players in the role of a young boy in eastern France during the German occupation who seeks escape from real-life horror through a fantasy world.

Darkly illustrated and full of gruesome historical facts, it is a far cry from the normal fare written for the Nintendo DS, which tends toward games featuring cute ponies and the like (DS stands for double screen).

So don't expect the Holocaust game to be popping up on the shelves of Toys "R" Us anytime soon. "At this time, there are no plans for this game to be released for any Nintendo platforms in North America," the company said in a statement.

The game is being produced by Alten8, a small, private British game company that is licensed to develop games for Nintendo U.K. The company is in the process of putting out another title by Bernard for Nintendo called Eternity's Child that deals with a fantasy world destroyed by global warming.

The chief executive of Alten8, Paul Andrews, said he hoped to have Bernard's new game ready for distribution in Europe by the end of the year.

Bernard said that his Holocaust game was meant to be educational. "I hope that young children will play it," he wrote in a blog comment to his detractors. In another blog entry, he complained that Alten8 asked him to remove the swastikas from the game, though, he said, the company has since changed its mind.

In a telephone interview from France, where he lives, Bernard said, "There will be no on-screen violence in this product. I don't see war as a game. I don't find that amusing." He said that his mother was Jewish and his maternal grandmother looked after orphaned Jewish children after World War II.

Myrna Shinbaum, spokeswoman for the Anti-Defamation League, said that she had not seen Bernard's game and could not assess whether it was tasteful. "We certainly believe that we have to find new ways of teaching lessons of the Holocaust as new technologies are being developed," she said. "

Its quite sad that this game isn't allowed, from what I've read I don't really see a problem with a content and its not like the game is making light of the subject. Seems pathetic that Manhunter 2 & Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 are allowed onto Nintendo consoles but a game that attempts to make children aware of the holocaust isn't. Its really fucked up that this subject matter is ok to be done in films and books, and yet its ok to play war on many games.

Thoughts?

EDIT: The article itself doesn't say it was refused/banned but lots of sites are reporting otherwise while still linking to this article.

2. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Nintendo screws us once again.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Good on him. Sounds just like the sort of game that should be made. People who don't like it, don't play it. History is scary sometimes.

A story about a child using a fantasy world to escape the horrors of Nazi monstrosities going on around him would be very moving.

4. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    This happens, yet gore packed sphincter-rot like Manhunt is allowed.

5. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well Nintendo Europe has allowed it, and I really don't see it having problems with the censors as apparently it doesn't show any graphic scenes, it only mentions the horror of this in text.

6. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Guys, just import it.

Problem solved.

7. blahman

Member blahman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    misleading title i say. no one said anything about banning

8. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Just download the Euro dump when it's released. [​IMG]

9. BigX

Member BigX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    it really all depends on the way that history is teached (and verified during development).
    I would love a true test of that game.
    I don't know an approbiate way to teach this history though!

10. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    It will be in English, Right? (not French only?)

11. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly what I imagined it to look like.

12. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Greece
    Idiot American politicians afraid that the game might wake up from the lethargy the american citizens.
    The sprites is just wonderful and bravos to the maker!

13. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    >"Disgusting concept. Some people have no shame," wrote one video game blog reader. Another >called it "pretty creepy."

Well...just cos some random commentator on Kotaku(probably) said so, they have to publish it in NY times. Sensationalism that's all.

If you read between the lines no one said anything about banning anything, just that at this time there are no plans to localise a game that hasn't even been made yet.

14. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah re-reading it it doesn't actually mention that it was banned or refused by Nintendo, I did get the link from gonintendo who I think said it was refused by Nintendo.

15. Regiiko

Member Regiiko GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Wow, so playing this when it comes out.

I believe in telling children the facts. What's the point in putting a blanket over children's eyes? It just de-sensitises them!

16. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    At first, I thought the game was going to be some shameful rip off of stealth games where you are dropped in the middle of a camp and then you have to survive until liberation. Then I see the screenshots and it was completely not what I expected. A sidescrolling platformer with shadow enemies as Nazis. But at the end of the day, this will make a welcome change to the flood of WW2 games where you play as the allies. Albeit even if it's from a dark moment in history.

17. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I've heard about this game before and found the idea very interesting..

Some years ago, Roberto Begnini made a film about this and it got 2 academy awards and everyone thought it was beautiful.. why people are finding this game disgusting?

So, you can only make a game about WWII if you're playing as a fearless american soldier with balls of steel shooting Axis soldiers? I'm sure no one is offended by that.. [​IMG]

EDIT: Kotaku contacted the game designer, he answered that NOA is yet to see the game:

So.. the game might come to North America..

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  19. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    hahaha
    kotaku is the foxnews of the gaming world.

this game looks pretty good, nice graphics and concept, if it does get banned in the states- I'll be importing it.

20. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    LOL