1. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    lol, you absolutely can trademark/patent/copyright a series of simple shapes if that's you're logo.

[​IMG]

2. pro-pumper

pro-pumper Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    it's like SONY, when they try to do a trademark for "Blue - Ray"

3. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

Portugal
    If I am not mistaken, the Microsoft logo is trademark'd. I don't think it's even copyrighted, and certainly not patented. Obviously because Microsoft did not invent rectangles.

And honestly, this is the way it should be. Otherwise you would spend 2 weeks making logos arrangements in every possible way, using simple shapes and monopolize the market. Meaning any company who came up with a logo even remotely similar to what you had done and patented and copyrighted before, would have to pay you for using it.

EDIT: After further investigation, looks like I was correct. The word and font "Microsoft" is registered. The actual rectangles logo is trademarked.

That being said, I'm glad I participated in this thread. Learnt a lot about these things.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Eix

Eix H

United States
    I see delta (industrial power tool company not the airline) gerting pissed
    Since a triforce is 99% of the tool casing

5. Knight of Time

Knight of Time GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    As a big Legend of Zelda fan myself, I was wondering when this would happen.

6. Osha

Osha Weh

France
    GBAtemp once again showing their lack of reading comprehension... Y'all love to shit on other websites for blowing things out of proportions, but I think some of the posts here could get a medal.

7. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Trademark was one of the words I used that you had initially used.... and if Nintendo here had applied for a trademark on the simple Triforce design, then I don't see how the Windows trademarked logo example isn't a perfect reflection of what may have happened here, nor why either is something that shouldn't or can't be trademarked like you were initially stating was ridiculous.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. Condarkness_XY

Condarkness_XY GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is gonna be funny or ugly. Everyone uses this symbol (far too generic), and has any company that has or is using this symbol done so before Nintendo?

9. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

Portugal
    Indeed. Turns out trademark'ing is far more open-ended than registering or patent.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - trademark, Nintendo, Triforce